New S1000RR engine blown - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Steven Tsui
    01-07-14
    Hi, Would like to take this chance to wish everyone a Great New Year and a prosperous 2014.

Need some help here, I am based in China and we can only buy the S1000RR through Grey import
    as the 1000RR is not officially imported.
    We bought a new S1000RR in Dec 13, this is a mid 13 model, in Dec, we'd done approx. 1000km run in period with the Factory rev limiter at 8000 rpm, when the bike reached 1000 km, we decoded the Rev limiter and start running the bike at 11-13000 revs, but within 150 km after decoding, when the bike was running normally, suddenly there is a big drop of speed and rev so I have to cruise back to the workshop which is approx. 3km away.
    Upon checking all the plugs, wiring everything looks normal, so the mechanics take out the airbox and looking into Cylinder 3, we can see one of the valve was broken.
    Upon taking off the head of the engine, we found Cylinder 3 has dropped a valve and was hammered back into the head by the piston.
    further inspection found that the valve guide was broken into 1/2 so that the valve has dropped into the cylinder thus the damages. the Piston looks OK but lightly scratched, but we will have to replace that piston and rods and all, but we need to order a new Head.

We cannot found the reason for this valve guide damage as the bike was ran in properly and also the rev limiter was decoded properly, the bike was running fine for over 100 km since decoded.
    I was a extremely experienced rider with 30 riding and 12 racing years, so I did not over rev the engine at anytime.
    Our mechanic say this should be a manufacturing flaw as the velve guide should not broke in 1/2.

Can anyone give me some idea what I can do ?? since we did not buy the bike from the China BMW dealer and they also do not sell this bike, who else can I approach to discuss this matter, as if this is indeed a manufacturing flaw, I am sure the factory would like to see the problem, shall I write directly to the factory ? as our China dealers are very inadequate in mechanic works.
    If I should contact the Factory direct, can anyone give me a direct mail address so I can write to them,

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Steven

http://photo.163.com/promo@bg-perfor...pid=8661237179

http://photo.163.com/promo@bg-perfor...pid=8661237135

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mark H
    04-01-22
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Given that the bike has been used on the track and you have personally adjusted the rev limiter, not to mention it is a 'grey import', I don't expect BMW will consider favourably any warranty/good-will gesture in recompense.

From your second photo, it looks to me like the two valve collets have become displaced from the valve (not split - they are two pieces) - the most likely cause being over-revving, notwithstanding your testimony. BMW may be interested in the metallurgy of the spring seat and valve.
    R1200R-LC ​Exclusive in Thunder Grey with Touring Pack. Formerly Graphitane F800ST 04/2007. I rarely visit the forum these days ... 

Real Name
    Bill
    01-01-21
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Don't have the address to write BMW direct, but I'm sure someome will chime in with that info. However, I would likle to offer some advice concerning the letter. Leave out the sentence "and 12 racing years, so I did not over rev the engine at any time." Write and see what happens. Keep us posted.
    2013 F800GT Graphite Metallic-Gone to a new home
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Steven Tsui
    01-07-14
    Hi, guys,

Thanks for the reply and comments. much appreciated,

I understand about the comments about being a Grey import and not able to get the local dealers to do anything, but considered this is a brand new bike and also the 1st 1000 km was ran with the rev limiter, so that engine should be very properly ran in, and the Rev limiter was reset by a BMW mechanic in China with the BMW hand held diagnostic tool.
    After the rev limited was reset, the bike ran perfect after approx. 100-150 km with no problem and it suddenly just go pop !!!
    I am sure that there is nothing different I'd done and I, for sure, did not over rev the engine by downshifting.

I just want to write to BMW and ask them why this is happening, I hope they can give me a good
    reason, not caring if they will compensate or not, just want to know why this is happening.

Real Name
    Jef
    06-25-16
    My wild guess is that it is just a classic case of "shit happens" .Sudden death by material failure

8. Likes nkaj liked this post

Real Name
    Frank
    10-11-22
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    You mentioned the bike was a grey import, so you must have acquired it through a BMW dealer abroad. Can't you approach him and get your story at BMW this way?

2013 F800GT Valencia Orange 

Real Name
    Steven Tsui
    01-07-14
    We got this bike through a Grey importer in China and I am sure he's not going to be much help.
    Is there any where we can check the Chassis number and find out where the bike was from ??

Elgin, Scotland ST404 is offline Volunteer Moderator - GT

Real Name
    Pat
    04-08-19
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    I'm not so sure BMW will be interested in the slightest for several reasons.

Firstly you have adapted the bikes software (rev limiter) and carried out unauthorised work on the bike (removing the head). These are the preserves of BMW workshops as far as BMW are concerned.

Secondly and probably the bigger fly in the ointment is the fact that no manufacturers warranty with cover a machine that is used for racing and or speed testing.

It matters not that the machine was possibly faulty, they will argue that it has been misused or abused

Real Name
    Cheri
    07-10-17
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    Motorcycle
    '14 F700GS
    Quote Originally Posted by bestfash View Post
    further inspection found that the valve guide was broken into 1/2 so that the valve has dropped into the cylinder thus the damages.
    I find this interesting and am curious how the valve guide got broken. A number of questions pop into my head:
    Was the engine hot at the time?
    Is this an injected engine? (Sorry not familiar with this bike). Fuel is also a coolant and perhaps the spray was misdirected and shock cooled the guide ( rare but possible)
    Was there any signs of detonation?
    Were the plugs the correct ones (size and reach?)
    What type of fuel was used (octane rating and quality)
    Any indication the valve was sticking?
    Is there indication of overhearing on the valve?
    What type of oil was used?
    Any indication that the lifter was flat?
    Any galling or flat spots on the cam?
    Could the timing have been out?
    Were there any modifications to the exhaust (thinking excessive back pressure)?

It is possible that the guide itself had a manufacturing flaw and that could be determined by forensics.

No matter what the cause, it sucks and I'm sorry to hear of your engine failure.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Real Name
    Steven Tsui
    01-07-14
    The bike was ran in properly with proper lubricants and gasoline.
    I just want to find out where to write to BMW as there is NO contact info on their world site. do anyone know if there is a direct email address that we can send our mail to ??
    Much appreciated.

Real Name
    Cheri
    07-10-17
    Motorcycle
    '13 F700GS
    Motorcycle
    '14 F700GS
    I found this:

BMW Plant Berlin
    Public Relations and Associate Communications
    Am Juliusturm 14-38
    D-13599 Berlin
    Germany
    phone: +49 (0)30-3396-0
    fax: +49(0)30-3396-2100

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Real Name
    Steven Tsui
    01-07-14
    Have just taken delivery of a very lightly used 2013 S1000RR Top end, looks OK, now only need to order the piston set kit for the
    Cylinder that the valve has dropped, can some one point me to where I can find a part file in the internet for this bike ?? and also recommend is a good supplier
    of BMW parts as our dealers are useless in ordering parts.

Thanks guys for all the help.

Real Name
    Devon
    03-20-20
    Motorcycle
    '11 F650GS (Twin)
    Quote Originally Posted by bestfash View Post
    can some one point me to where I can find a part file in the internet for this bike ??
    Have a look here.

17. Likes de100kb liked this post