So where is everyone coming from, and when do you plan on leaving? - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Rob Werksman
    08-01-18
    Motorcycle
    '90 K1
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    We should probably start talking about this, in case some of us want to ride down (or up! ) to the Rally.

We (two of us) are coming down from Pittsburgh and are leaving on Thursday morning. Not quite sure where we plan on stopping on Thursday evening, planning to arrive at the Wattstull on Friday.

How about everyone else?
    Forum Owner Emeritus

Rob Werksman - Owner, Motorcycle Insight, LLC
    F800 Depot | S1000RR Depot | Adventure Motorcycle Depot | Twalcom USA
    North American Importer - Globescout, Twalcom, Wild@Heart, Hornig, AC Schnitzer (Motorcycle) 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Brendan
    08-18-20
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Myself and Biker Doc are departing central NC Wed Oct 1 or Thurs Oct 2 and riding up and down the blue ridge parkway & Cherahola Skyway in the western part of NC for a day or two. We'll be at the hotel sometime Friday in the afternoon or evening. I've never been that far north on the BRP, but I know at the southern tip near Cherokee NC the roads are AWESOME and you don't need to speed which is a huge plus for me. I would love to travel north on Friday with anyone or south on Sunday with anyone!
    Brendan 

12-30-09
    My son, Eric, and I will leave the Orlean, VA area Saturday morning and pick up Skyline drive off of Rt 211 near Sperryville or Rt 11 in the valley and hit Waynesboro around lunch time...then down to Buchanan by 4 or 5pm. Do we need to get there earlier for the dinner thing? We are certainly flexible. Kirby

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Rich
    03-10-16
    Howdy. I'm leaving Ellijay,GA earlyon the first.Riding up thru Blueridge to Copperhill,TN and onto Tellico Plains and up the Cherola to Robbinsville pickup 143 to28 to 19 and into Maggie Valley,NC and visit Wheels through time museam(wich is closing the end of Nov.) from there,up 276 toI-40 to I-26 to Johnson City(location of BMWMOA Rally next year) onto I-26 to I-81 stopover in Bristol,VA. Next day I-81 to I-66 to Front Royal,VA. Stopover/sightseeing. On the third proceed down Skyline Drive/Blueridge Parkway to the F800 Rally.After the rally I will heading south on the Parkway to it's terminus,then home to Ellijay,GA. Windy

Real Name
    Tony
    08-29-14
    I'm headed up from Greensboro, NC, but unlike Brendan and Biker Doc, can't get away until Saturday morning. It's only a three-hours-drive from Greensboro, but I'll probably wander around a bit and get to the Wattstull around check-in time. Look forward to meeting everyone at dinner and afterward, and will meander back south on Sunday morning, taking some scenic detours.
    Blue 2007 F800 ST - ABS - heated grips - OBC - Panniers - OEM topcase w/passenger backrest - GSG sliders - MV Motorrad bar risers 

Real Name
    Gary
    09-06-22
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    I'm heading out from Virginia Beach on the morning of Friday, Oct 3. I don't have my route set quite yet, but I think I'm going to run 58 past Emporia then hit 15 and take it toward Appomattox for some sight-seeing there. I'll probably run 460 the rest of the way to the hotel on Friday. I plan to hit much of VA portions of Skyline drive before the "meet and greet" on Saturday and return home Sunday. The home route is entirely up in the air right now.

Real Name
    Brendan
    08-18-20
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Quote Originally Posted by tledford View Post
    I'm headed up from Greensboro, NC, but unlike Brendan and Biker Doc, can't get away until Saturday morning. It's only a three-hours-drive from Greensboro, but I'll probably wander around a bit and get to the Wattstull around check-in time. Look forward to meeting everyone at dinner and afterward, and will meander back south on Sunday morning, taking some scenic detours.
    Well maybe if we don't ride up together we can ride back down some together. Stinks you literally live just a mile or two away and we've not ridden! Glad you're coming to the event though!
    Brendan 

Real Name
    Lesley
    01-17-20
    Motorcycle
    '10 F650GS (Twin)
    Don and I are leaving Friday PM - we'll spend Friday night at our popup at Montebello (MP 30). The hotel is only 71 miles away, so even allowing for scenic stops, we'll probably be there around noon Saturday. Doing the same thing backwards on the way home.

We just spent Labor Day on the Parkway - can't wait to go back!
    Lesley - The rider on the Graphite F800GT or the Blue Spyder Limited RT with the pink helmet in Maryland 

Real Name
    Roman
    04-02-14
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    I get back to the US late on the 1st, so I'll use the 2nd to recover from jet lag a bit and then we may meet ACHY (Gregg) from Wisconsin to head over - no plans yet.

If we stick to this plan, we hope to get to the hotel around noon on the 4th. From there on, it's going to be slow rides with lots of stops for photos...
    2009 F800ST: midnight blue [ABS OBC TPMS etc]
    "bandas, bolas e bundas" - Rita Lee 

07-25-13
    I'll be leaving Fairfax sometime Saturday morning, it's sub 4 hrs (about 190 miles) so would be willing to meet up with someone in the area or enroute.

Rob - you forgot 'across' (like Gitch)

Real Name
    Dan
    09-04-15
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    My brother and I plan to leave Lancaster, Pa area early Friday morning and make our way down Rt 81 to the Skyline Drive and part of the Blue Ridge.
    It will take longer than riding the whole way down Rt 81, but I'm optimistic the weather will cooperate and the views will be as spectacular as I remember.
    We should arrive late afternoon Friday.
    ABS, OBC, TPM, HHG, Hyperpro kit, Remus powercone, Vario levers, BMW side and top cases, Evo mirror extenders, center stand, Throttlemeister b&s hvy, final drive slider, K&N filter, rear flap gone 

Real Name
    Sunny
    12-24-14
    Coming in from Cleveland Ohio leaving Friday the 4th, depending on what accomodations I can find.
    "So I got a question, do you wanna have a slumber party in my basement, do I make your heart beat like an 808 drum?" "You Love Is My Drug"--Ke$ha 

Real Name
    Marty
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    I am planning to leave Jacksonville, FL on the 2nd, and staying at a friends place in Charlotte, NC that night and have an easy ride on the 3rd. Open to changing plans to meet up with anyone on the way.

Real Name
    Rob Werksman
    08-01-18
    Motorcycle
    '90 K1
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Mike,

Did you find accommodations?
    Forum Owner Emeritus

North American Importer - Globescout, Twalcom, Wild@Heart, Hornig, AC Schnitzer (Motorcycle) 

03-05-10
    I'm heading first to my daughter's house in Culpeper VA. Iplane to ride from Culpeper (sorry guys, but the other half of the team won't ride up, and I have to take some stuff from FL to VA for my daughter).

I plan to ride in on Saturday morning (maybe Friday, too).

The other half will likely be down later on Saturday, driving down from Culpeper.

It'll be good to meet everybody.

Real Name
    Sunny
    12-24-14
    Rob-I believe I have worked something out with Roman. I sent you a PM so as not to bore the others w/the details.
    "So I got a question, do you wanna have a slumber party in my basement, do I make your heart beat like an 808 drum?" "You Love Is My Drug"--Ke$ha 

Real Name
    Dan
    09-04-15
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Is it possible you have a list of people attending at this point Rob?
    Just wondering about the actual number and those we will be looking for.
    Maybe you could notify the presidential campaigns and we could get an audience with the candidates while we're there?
    You know...share some snacks, talk policy.
    With a month to go with the election at that point....ehhh, forget that.

BTW...we may alter our route and not travel on as much of the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge.
    Just can't get excited about riding Rt 81 most of the way though.
    I keep hearing downsides to the road conditions, speed, Federales, etc.
    Back to Google Maps.
    ABS, OBC, TPM, HHG, Hyperpro kit, Remus powercone, Vario levers, BMW side and top cases, Evo mirror extenders, center stand, Throttlemeister b&s hvy, final drive slider, K&N filter, rear flap gone 

Real Name
    Sharon
    01-27-19
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    We should probably start talking about this, in case some of us want to ride down (or up! ) to the Rally.

We (two of us) are coming down from Pittsburgh and are leaving on Thursday morning. Not quite sure where we plan on stopping on Thursday evening, planning to arrive at the Wattstull on Friday.

How about everyone else?
    I checked the distance from Pittsburgh and see that it's around 320 and you're allowing yourself a day to get there. Is that because you're taking a longer route, or are allowing for challenging terrain--or just in no hurry to get there?

I'm asking because I'm trying to estimate how much time I should allow myself from Chicago. The distance is only about 680 miles, which I was thinking of doing in one day and can if there are no major issues with the route. However, I don't know if that's reasonable given my ignorance with the terrain.

Does anyone have familiarity with the roads there? Anyone ridden there from the midwest?

I really should start planning!

Thanks.
    Last edited by Shrosa; 09-11-08 at 08:04 AM. Reason: bad memory!
    Sharon--Blog '08 Blue F800ST, comfort & safety pkg., alarm, standard suspension, low seat, ctstand, risers/pull backs, vario levers, frame sliders, BMW topcase, Givi V35 sides, Zumo, Cortech tank bag, Throttlemeister, Laminar lip, Hornig sidestand extender. 

Real Name
    Sharon
    01-27-19
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Myself and Biker Doc are departing central NC Wed Oct 1 or Thurs Oct 2 and riding up and down the blue ridge parkway & Cherahola Skyway in the western part of NC for a day or two. We'll be at the hotel sometime Friday in the afternoon or evening. I've never been that far north on the BRP, but I know at the southern tip near Cherokee NC the roads are AWESOME and you don't need to speed which is a huge plus for me. I would love to travel north on Friday with anyone or south on Sunday with anyone!
    Do you have any knowledge of the traffic conditions on the Cherahola Skyway on a weekday?

thanks
    Sharon--Blog '08 Blue F800ST, comfort & safety pkg., alarm, standard suspension, low seat, ctstand, risers/pull backs, vario levers, frame sliders, BMW topcase, Givi V35 sides, Zumo, Cortech tank bag, Throttlemeister, Laminar lip, Hornig sidestand extender. 

Real Name
    Rob Werksman
    08-01-18
    Motorcycle
    '90 K1
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrosa View Post
    I checked the distance from Pittsburgh and see that it's around 320 and you're allowing yourself a day to get there. Is that because you're taking a longer route, or are allowing for challenging terrain--or just in no hurry to get there?

I'm asking because I'm trying to estimate how much time I should allow myself from Chicago. The distance is only about 680 miles, which I was thinking of doing in one day and can if there are no major issues with the route. However, I don't know if that's reasonable given my ignorance with the terrain.

Does anyone have familiarity with the roads there? Anyone ridden there from the midwest?

I really should start planning!

Thanks.
    It is about 300ish miles, but we're really planning on taking our time - back roads of WV are absolutely wonderful.
    Forum Owner Emeritus

23. Thanks Shrosa thanked for this post
    Real Name
    Rich
    03-10-16
    The traffic on the Cherohala is usually light during the week. I'll be taking it on my way to the rally,on wednesday the first,with many stops in between.

25. Thanks Shrosa thanked for this post

Real Name
    Brendan
    08-18-20
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Do you have any knowledge of the traffic conditions on the Cherahola Skyway on a weekday?

thanks
    Well were actually being delayed and we cannot leave until the 2nd so we are likely going to skip the skyway and try to ride as much of the blue ridge north from the southernmost piont (Cherokee NC) on Friday. The traffic on the blue ridge is usually very very light, especially during the week. Anyone coming from the south that will be in or around the area on Friday is invited and encouraged to join in...maybe we'll have our own mini-caravan

Don't worry about planning! Its highly over rated...planning things only lets you down when things don't go to plan! haha just kiddin
    Brendan 

27. Thanks Shrosa thanked for this post

Real Name
    Sharon
    01-27-19
    Typically after I plan everything to a T, I don't worry about the plan and often disregard much of it. I actually agree with you--it's over-rated.

But something about the ritual of planning that gets me excited.

Real Name
    Sharon
    01-27-19
    I have a travel guide on WV and you're right, some of the backroads look amazing, particularly during fall season--the colors are unreal!

Oconomowoc, Wi ACHY is offline F800Riders.org Supporter
    Real Name
    Gregg
    03-21-11
    Sharon

I rode to the Natural Bridge from Milwaukee back in late June. You can do it in one day but it gets long and you would be going through WV at dusk so deer could be an issue. Its also going to be getting darker earlier than when I did it. Plus you lose an hour going east.

My plan is to leave Milwaukee around noon and get somewhere to around Dayton. Then have a nice ride on Friday through the WV country side. I am going to try and meet up with Roman. You are welcome to join us.

On the way back I may just get up early and pound miles (or not depending on the weather).

31. Thanks Shrosa thanked for this post

03-05-10
    Having lived in that area for many years I FEEL THE need to remind everybody

THERE ARE LOTSA DEER OUT THERE AND THEY ARE STUPID!!!!!

BE VERY CAREFUL FROM LATE AFTERNOON ON!!!!

33. Thanks Shrosa thanked for this post

Real Name
    Sharon
    01-27-19
    Quote Originally Posted by ACHY View Post
    Sharon

I rode to the Natural Bridge from Milwaukee back in late June. You can do it in one day but it gets long and you would be going through WV at dusk so deer could be an issue. Its also going to be getting darker earlier than when I did it. Plus you lose an hour going east.

My plan is to leave Milwaukee around noon and get somewhere to around Dayton. Then have a nice ride on Friday through the WV country side. I am going to try and meet up with Roman. You are welcome to join us.

On the way back I may just get up early and pound miles (or not depending on the weather).
    Thanks for the info and the invite.

I'm an early riser. I'm generally up by 3:30a.m.; so, I'm planning to leave around 5am. It would be nice to meet up but I'd be way too edgy waiting to leave.

Thanks and see you there!

Real Name
    Matt Hilborn
    09-07-12
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    My friend Les and I will be leaving knoxville friday morning and come up 81 or maybe the BRP. We're kind of last minute due to work issues so we'll find a room close by since the Inn is booked. We should be getting in early friday afternoon.

Real Name
    Sharon
    01-27-19
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
    My friend Les and I will be leaving knoxville friday morning and come up 81 or maybe the BRP. We're kind of last minute due to work issues so we'll find a room close by since the Inn is booked. We should be getting in early friday afternoon.
    When I leave the meetup, I'll be heading to Arlington, VA, then Durham, NC and finally, staying with friends in Knoxville, TN sometime around the 9th.

Are there any "must-do" and "must-see" things around Knoxville? It's my first trip there and my friends are Chicago transplants, new to living in the area.

Thanks.

Real Name
    Brendan
    08-18-20
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    When I leave the meetup, I'll be heading to Arlington, VA, then Durham, NC and finally, staying with friends in Knoxville, TN sometime around the 9th.

Are there any "must-do" and "must-see" things around Knoxville? It's my first trip there and my friends are Chicago transplants, new to living in the area.

Thanks.
    I think the Lost Sea around Knoxville is really cool. Its an underground lake that was discovered by a young boy...I want to say back in the '60's. It cheap, and very fun & interesting. Google it!
    Beep the horn when you go by in Greensboro - I live right next to the highway! Perhaps a lunch or dinner is required when one F800 passes through another F800's "territory"?
    Brendan