2009 Eastern US Rally (UPDATED! Come discuss!) - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

07-25-13
    Duck, that's what we're trying to figure out, where and when - given that the big rally is down there in Tennessee in hot July. How about Central Park??
    Most of us that showed up for the 1st one are game for about any time or place....within reason of course

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Brendan
    08-18-20
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Just curious. Why don't we have a dedicated sub-forum for the '09 Eastern & Western Rallies like we did (and still do) for last years?
    Brendan 

12-28-09
    Central Park? No way... traffic in the city is a killer.... Long Islanders take the train to the city...

How about a Bourbon Country tour?

Jim Beam Distillery @37.92999,-85.653679

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

05-28-13
    Motorcycle
    '07 TE250
    Quote Originally Posted by Herleman View Post
    I would think that if we are going to have it on the east coast as an annual event, there might be an advantage to having it at a fixed location. Buchanan seems very good. Over the next year, we could scout it out a bit more and prepare some "Shamrock" tours. We might get five or six yearfs out of the location that way. The Wattshull folks seem to have been good to work with.
    Glad to hear compliments to the area (that is my hometown). If it happens in Buchanan again, I might be able to ride there for the rally and see my family (I even had to skip going home for Christmas this year, even though I haven't been in the US for 4 years). Towards that end, not conflicting with the western rally would be nice as well.

Amusingly, despite living down behind Wattstull, I have never ridden a motorcycle in that area, just bicycles...
    Cages: 85 Toyota 4wd, 04 VW Golf TDI 

Real Name
    Lesley
    01-17-20
    Motorcycle
    '10 F650GS (Twin)
    What about Fancy Gap, VA? It's a bigger town (but doesn't seem too big?) about 170 miles south of Buchanan on the BRP and has several hotels and a campground. There are two Days Inns located in close proximity to each other and a Super 8. Carollwood Campground is 8 miles away from the Days Inns and 3 miles from the Super 8. It's right off Interstate 77 so that those who like high speed travel can get there quickly via superslab. And it's 9 hours 12 minutes from Seaford, Long Island (the only place on Long Island I know, as my aunt lives there!) The campground closes October 1 - so sometime mid-September would seem like a good time if we don't want to meet around the rally schedule.

Don and I have never been there, but are going to stay there on the way to and from the Johnson City rally, so we'll know more about it then. But maybe someone from the area can tell us whether it's a nice location or not.
    Lesley - The rider on the Graphite F800GT or the Blue Spyder Limited RT with the pink helmet in Maryland 

12-30-09
    I like VA, as it is in my backyard, and I missed last year. I would avoid AL, GA, SC in the summer. Early Fall in the mountains, much better. Thanks Rob. Kirby

Real Name
    Fred
    10-21-14
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200R
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Why not have it before or after summer? Family duties conflict far more in the summer months. September and October would be perfect.

Fred

Real Name
    10-12-22
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    YES! Now that I'm living in Asheville, NC I should be able to make it to some events easily!! Can't wait for this!! Oh yeah, I'm about 3 minutes from an entrance to the Blue Ridge Parkway now..... : )
    07 Fast Blue F800ST- LV Exhaust, F800S Grab Bars, Cortech Bags w/Cortech duffle, Cortech Super Mini strap on tank bag, Sylvania Bright White Low Beam, Stebel Nautilus Horn, Zumo 550 GPS, Alaska Leather Sheepskin seat cover, Hepco Becker 30L Luggage, Cheap Trunk, Gorilla Alarm w/pager. 76 Honda CB750ss - morphing into a 50's era cafe bike. Upgrades- Clubman Bars, Dyna ignition, Intake pod filters 

Real Name
    Sunny
    12-24-14
    For what it's worth, i don't like the idea of sharing "our" weekend at the BMW NA rally. And let's not forget we got to get Stormin' Normin' over here so we should choose soon-ly.
    "So I got a question, do you wanna have a slumber party in my basement, do I make your heart beat like an 808 drum?" "You Love Is My Drug"--Ke$ha 

12. Thanks BrENDURO thanked for this post

Real Name
    Dan
    06-20-10
    So, are we any closer to having a destination in mind?

Real Name
    Jack Herbst
    04-22-13
    Where is the site for the west get together? Think WEST WEST WEST WEST! We have F800GS's and F650GS's out here too Rob! Better yet, Central location so we can all go.

Jack

Morrison, Colorado SHU is offline F800Riders.org Supporter
    06-30-15
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Where is the site for the west get together? Think WEST WEST WEST WEST! We have F800GS's and F650GS's out here too Rob! Better yet, Central location so we can all go.

Jack
    a little search reveals: https://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...=Western+rally

Where and when do you want it to be, Jack?

................shu
    2009 F800ST midnight blue
    2007 F800ST-gone but not forgotten. 

Real Name
    Lesley
    01-17-20
    Motorcycle
    '10 F650GS (Twin)
    In my quickly done, probably not completely accurate spreadsheet count (with multiple votes for sites if people liked more than one location), it appears that 9 people have said they like the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) - some for Cherokee and some for repeating at Buchanan. 4 liked Spartanburg SC (which is not too far from the BRP). Only 3 or 4 wanted it around the BMW rally in Johnson City.

And Fall - September/October is the most mentioned time frame.

So how it seems like September/October on the BRP between Milepost 90 or so (the Peaks of Otter area) and milepost 469 (Cherokee).

That still gives us 400 miles to play with - but at least it's more specific than the "East Coast!"

Rob???
    Lesley - The rider on the Graphite F800GT or the Blue Spyder Limited RT with the pink helmet in Maryland 

Real Name
    Fred
    10-21-14
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200R
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonburns View Post
    ...September/October on the BRP between Milepost 90 or so (the Peaks of Otter area) and milepost 469 (Cherokee).
    Now we're getting somewhere. Guys, let's pull up the calendar and the map and pin down the weekend and location.

Note that Columbus Day is a holiday for many, and that is getting to peak foliage time. The up side is it is beautiful. The down side is more traffic on the roads - well, the paved roads anyway.

Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; 02-22-09 at 07:54 AM.

Real Name
    Lesley
    01-17-20
    Motorcycle
    '10 F650GS (Twin)
    How come I can't edit my message and change "So how it seems like September/October on the BRP between Milepost 90 or so (the Peaks of Otter area) and milepost 469 (Cherokee)."

to "So how about September/October on the BRP between..."

I am not illiterate - my fingers weren't coordinating with my brain - which sometimes goes it's own way anyway...

I like the Columbus Day idea. One less day of leave to take. It doesn't interfere with any family holiday plans - because motorcycles come before family in this household!

Real Name
    Fred
    10-21-14
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200R
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    That's 10-12 October (Saturday to Monday). Excellent, and we'll see what the feedback is on that. Reservations for that weekend would have to be made well in advance.

Now, let's look up and down the BRP for places to stay worthy of the F-twins.

Fred

Real Name
    Rich
    03-10-16
    I'm in for BRP,even Buchanan again. October is great.

Real Name
    Rob Werksman
    08-01-18
    Motorcycle
    '90 K1
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    There were a few folks who stayed at natural bridge last year. I'm curious to see what they thought of that.

I wish the Wattstull was bigger.
    Forum Owner Emeritus

Rob Werksman - Owner, Motorcycle Insight, LLC
    F800 Depot | S1000RR Depot | Adventure Motorcycle Depot | Twalcom USA
    North American Importer - Globescout, Twalcom, Wild@Heart, Hornig, AC Schnitzer (Motorcycle) 

Real Name
    10-12-22
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    May I recommend the Cherohala Skyway as being a wonderful ride that we (or at least some should plan) should do if we are nearby. Beautiful views for everyone and enough twists to be very entertaining.
    07 Fast Blue F800ST- LV Exhaust, F800S Grab Bars, Cortech Bags w/Cortech duffle, Cortech Super Mini strap on tank bag, Sylvania Bright White Low Beam, Stebel Nautilus Horn, Zumo 550 GPS, Alaska Leather Sheepskin seat cover, Hepco Becker 30L Luggage, Cheap Trunk, Gorilla Alarm w/pager. 76 Honda CB750ss - morphing into a 50's era cafe bike. Upgrades- Clubman Bars, Dyna ignition, Intake pod filters 

Real Name
    Jack Herbst
    04-22-13
    Quote Originally Posted by SHU View Post
    a little search reveals: https://f800riders.org/forum/showthre...=Western+rally

Where and when do you want it to be, Jack?

................shu
    Too many things going on on East coast this year. Any where West of the Missouri river would be fine with me. I am from Colorado so I am biased. Western Colorado Is one of the finest places for riding. Utah is breath taking. Grand Tetons in Wyoming would be good.(Jackson Hole) Red Lodge Montana would be great. (Bear Tooth Pass & Yellowstone is very near) Arizona (White Mountains/Show Low etc.) Any where from San Francisco North to Washington (Twisp Stevans Pass) Oregon coast is beautiful. (Canon Haystack Rock) Get away from the heat, humidity and traffic (not to mention the mosquitos) back East. Take your Choice. I'm serious!

Jack

Real Name
    Jack Herbst
    04-22-13
    I forgot to say when Shu. May 15th ----September15th.

Jack

Gizmo is offline F800Riders.org Supporter
    Real Name
    Sharon
    12-20-15
    Motorcycle
    '59 R26
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Wedding anniversary! Wish I could make it back out East!

I was there last October, so, maybe . . .
    Sharon

07 R1200RT, 59 R26 and 12 Yamaha Super Tenere 

Real Name
    Dan
    09-04-15
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    There were a few folks who stayed at natural bridge last year. I'm curious to see what they thought of that.
    I wish the Wattstull was bigger.
    We stopped over at Natural Bridge during our day ride that Saturday.
    All I remember was lots of tourists, buses and a crowded parking lot.
    I did like the Buchanan area though. Maybe we can get input from people in the area again and hope for another place to stay with more accommodations.
    Recon!
    ABS, OBC, TPM, HHG, Hyperpro kit, Remus powercone, Vario levers, BMW side and top cases, Evo mirror extenders, center stand, Throttlemeister b&s hvy, final drive slider, K&N filter, rear flap gone 

Real Name
    Matt
    07-22-11
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    Quote Originally Posted by VLT View Post
    On the rally-in-a-rally idea, why not do what the "Airheads Beemers" do and put up a tent stocked with chairs and sofas from Goodwill. "F800 Central"

I like this idea even if there isn't a rally-in-rally. I'll be out there this summer and would like to put some faces to (most of) these names.

Real Name
    Fred
    10-21-14
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200R
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Mile post 62 - Buena Vista, with motels in Lexington, Glen Murray Park, Buena Vista. 12 miles down the road a MC friendly KOA. There is lots of great riding in the area, with lots of paved and unpaved roads.

Mile post 178 -Meadows of Dan on route 58 small motels and Willisville motorcycle-only Campground. They have rides laid out all over the area.

Fred

11-19-10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike in Ohio View Post
    For what it's worth, i don't like the idea of sharing "our" weekend at the BMW NA rally. And let's not forget we got to get Stormin' Normin' over here so we should choose soon-ly.

Thanks for that, I am just on the tip of committing to a US tour with some mates.

Maybe 6-8 of us doing east to west in July 2010 over 3-4 weeks. Shipping our bikes to Baltimore and then east to west to L A.

I know it's a long time to go, but planning is key. So i'll be shouting out for help and pointers nearer the time.
    If tha wants owt fo nowt do it thisen

·"'We've got to have rules and obey them. After all, we're not savages. We're English, and the English are best at everything.'" - William Golding, Lord of the Flies, Ch. 2

· "BUGGER" said in that sickening moment when you wished you hadn't made that last post - Dunny, F800 Forum, Friday 29th February 2008 

Real Name
    Sunny
    12-24-14
    Stormin--make sure you post your route and maybe some of us can ride with you along the way...
    "So I got a question, do you wanna have a slumber party in my basement, do I make your heart beat like an 808 drum?" "You Love Is My Drug"--Ke$ha 

Real Name
    Lesley
    01-17-20
    Motorcycle
    '10 F650GS (Twin)
    I like the idea of the Meadows of Dan - which is a bit further down than Buchanan was. In 2010 we could go even farther down and before you know it, just by going to the F800 Rally each year you could be an "End to Ender" on the parkway and get a certificate!

I agree with Dan - when we went to Natural Bridge it was crowded. Loved the walk to Natural Bridge but it wasn't a place I'd want to stay. Didn't see the campground though.

I'd rather have a place we could sit around a campfire and chat. However, my pampered ass doesn't camp in tents or on the hard ground any more - so I like the idea of a campground with cabins. I just called Willville and they only have one cabin and it might be taken that weekend. The Meadows of Dan Campground has two cabins - don't know about their availability. There's not much civilized lodging apart from B&Bs around Meadows of Dan otherwise. The Blue Ridge Motel and Restaurant has 19 rooms - so it seems about the size of the Wattstull.

I found a place that has it all - 5 tent sites, 6 one room cabins and two 4 room motels on site (Ever heard of a 4 room motel?) Each room in the "motels" can accomodate 4 adults.

http://www.fancygapcabins.com/

At maximum capacity that's probably not enough space unless we have a lot of campers and they'd let them tent on whatever space is available. However, it's at Fancy Gap - just south of Meadows of Dan. There are other campgrounds and motels in Fancy Gap if overflow was needed.

Anybody been to Fancy Gap?

Any other ideas?

Real Name
    Rob Werksman
    08-01-18
    Motorcycle
    '90 K1
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    I've actually been toying with the idea of going north a bit to get some of our Canadian friends to attend.
    Forum Owner Emeritus

Rob Werksman - Owner, Motorcycle Insight, LLC
    F800 Depot | S1000RR Depot | Adventure Motorcycle Depot | Twalcom USA
    North American Importer - Globescout, Twalcom, Wild@Heart, Hornig, AC Schnitzer (Motorcycle) 

Real Name
    Brendan
    08-18-20
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Quote Originally Posted by nelsonburns View Post
    you could be an "End to Ender" on the parkway and get a certificate!
    This was my plan last year. Bikerdoc and I departed earlier in the week for the rally and came up from mile 469 at the south (the southernmost point of the BRP), all the way to Buchanan...3 miles from the hotel when a drunk driver took me out. Just as soon as it warms up about 10 more degrees I'm going to do that trip again and complete it. Its also why I've got my fingers crossed for some sort of location that also entails substantial BRP riding.
    Brendan 

Real Name
    Sunny
    12-24-14
    I LIKE the idea of going North Rob. Southeaster Ohio has some fine, fine roads as I would guess you already know. (and it's closer to Cleveland than NC I admit) West VA is supposed to have some nice riding too. So does Pittsburgh actually.

Real Name
    Charles
    05-24-10
    I want to go on a frickin' owners rally. Canada's a little too epic for a long weekender from the gulf coast. I wanna go the frickin' Blue Ridge fricken' Parkway and stay in a fricken' cabin.

Real Name
    Dan
    09-04-15
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    I'll make some suggestions after a bit of brief research.
    If we could get some group rates with advanced planning - all the better.

* Peaks of Otter Lodge - Bedford, VA...Those of us at the last rally can vouch for the locale and the food was OK. Plenty of parking and they seemed to be bike-friendly. About $112 avg per night
    * Harmony Hill B&B - In Arrington, VA which is a little further north and slightly east, but looks very inviting. About $119 avg per night
    * Howard Johnson - Lexington, VA which is north of Buchanan, but still in an accessible area with lower rates. About $70 avg per night
    ABS, OBC, TPM, HHG, Hyperpro kit, Remus powercone, Vario levers, BMW side and top cases, Evo mirror extenders, center stand, Throttlemeister b&s hvy, final drive slider, K&N filter, rear flap gone 

Real Name
    Tony
    08-29-14
    The National Park Service runs a fine campground at Rocky Knob, just a few miles North of The Meadows of Dan. And seven miles away there are seven "housekeeping cabins" which I've never seen, although I've camped in the campground. (Grew up doing that several times a year, actually.)

It's easy for me to champion The Meadows of Dan as a destination, though; for me, brENDURO and bikerdoc it's only about a two-hours drive.

Oops, forgot link: http://www.virginia.org/site/descrip...MGrp=4&MCat=19
    Blue 2007 F800 ST - ABS - heated grips - OBC - Panniers - OEM topcase w/passenger backrest - GSG sliders - MV Motorrad bar risers 

Real Name
    Charles
    05-24-10
    Columbus Day weekend everyone and their dog will be out on the road.

I favour the southern end of the Blue Ridge on account of it being a little closer (to me).

Just sayin'.

02-15-10
    Cherokee with a day trip across SC mountain roads to BMW one day and a day trip ride the Tail of the Dragon on another day. There are a lot of radar traps and you can't go 100mph but as a group I bet it'd be a fun trip with lots of side locations to visit along the way. Then we go back to Cherokee, get hammered, give the indians back part of the land (money) and see who can do the biggest burnout in front of the casino. That would be my vote.

Real Name
    Jonathan Welsh
    09-16-11
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Guys (& Gals),
    I live in Greenville, SC and I can definitively tell you that the riding down here is fantastic--great roads, not much traffic, beautiful scenery, etc. Seeing the Zentrum is a great idea, and the guys at the local BMW shop (Touring Sport BMW/Ducati/Aprilia/Vespa) are friends of mine. IMHO do not come to SC for riding in early June, July, August, or early September as it is like riding in a blast furnace. Spring and fall are exquisite! I am lucky enough to live in an area that is perfectly suited to the strengths of my F800ST--I have owned over 16 motorcycles in my short life (42 years), and I believe it to be the finest motorcycle I've ever owned.
    I will be happy to assist in planning if you like (hotels, camping, food recommendations, etc.).

Real Name
    Sharon
    01-27-19
    Interesting catching up on all the planning. Hope I can join in...
    Sharon--Blog '08 Blue F800ST, comfort & safety pkg., alarm, standard suspension, low seat, ctstand, risers/pull backs, vario levers, frame sliders, BMW topcase, Givi V35 sides, Zumo, Cortech tank bag, Throttlemeister, Laminar lip, Hornig sidestand extender. 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2