Sharon's "get off" and belated "Thanks!" - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    02-04-15
    Sheesh! Well, look at it this way. It's not like you just did it and think, "Damn, it'll take (enter number) weeks to heal." You've been healing up for two weeks, so you're that much closer to getting over it.

How's that for optimism?

George

2. Thanks Shrosa thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Sharon
    01-27-19
    Quote Originally Posted by als02 View Post
    Sharon,
    I've been off air since the Oz MotoGP - just too much work to do.
    Sorry to hear about your accident.

Broken Collarbone and ribs - there's going to be some pain.

Stay away from anything you might remotely find funny. I recall being in tears with every laugh when I was 18 and broke my clavicle on a bicycle.

We wish you well from Oz.
    Alan

Add to staying away from "funny" things, sneezing!! I sneezed last night and was happy that I'm not a hand gun owner! Wow!
    Sharon--Blog '08 Blue F800ST, comfort & safety pkg., alarm, standard suspension, low seat, ctstand, risers/pull backs, vario levers, frame sliders, BMW topcase, Givi V35 sides, Zumo, Cortech tank bag, Throttlemeister, Laminar lip, Hornig sidestand extender. 

03-05-10
    "Add to staying away from "funny" things, sneezing!! I sneezed last night and was happy that I'm not a hand gun owner! Wow!"

Have you tried yet to hop out of bed to run to the potty in the middle of the night????

One does not "hop" with broken ribs.

The voice of experience.

Keep getting well so you can get even with all of those who have harrassed you.

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

07-25-13
    OK Sharon you 'beat' me on number of ribs but I can still 'trump' you with a smashed shoulder blade (and my collar bone was lots worse than yours)
    2 weeks down and 6 or 8 (or so) to go. Take care of yourself and try not to sneeze (pinch your nose if you feel one coming on ) Gotta agree with John on the no hopping - SO - No Attack Rabbit manuevers

02-04-15
    Quote Originally Posted by Herleman View Post
    Keep getting well so you can get even with all of those who have harrassed you.
    Nate Kern crashed in South Africa at an F800 race and broke a bunch of ribs the day before you crashed . Today, he won the CCS Thunderbike race at Daytona.

George

9. Thanks Shrosa thanked for this post
    Real Name
    Rich
    03-10-16
    But Nate's a pro racer,in good shapeand a real nice tough guy.

Real Name
    Sharon
    01-27-19

Have you tried yet to hop out of bed to run to the potty in the middle of the night????

Just reading your question caused a boat load of pain! I will resist that temptaton!

Yesterday my well-intentioned hubby tried to gently tie a sweater around my shoulders and I realized that I can indeed commit murder!
    Sharon--Blog '08 Blue F800ST, comfort & safety pkg., alarm, standard suspension, low seat, ctstand, risers/pull backs, vario levers, frame sliders, BMW topcase, Givi V35 sides, Zumo, Cortech tank bag, Throttlemeister, Laminar lip, Hornig sidestand extender. 

Real Name
    Sharon
    01-27-19
    Gus,

I really wish I hadn't won the rib competition! Sorry to be reminded of your banged up body! They say, "That which doesn't kill you makes you strong." I expect to be able to lift a car when this is done!

Real Name
    Sharon
    01-27-19
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclist View Post
    Nate Kern crashed in South Africa at an F800 race and broke a bunch of ribs the day before you crashed . Today, he won the CCS Thunderbike race at Daytona.

George
    What?!

I want the name of the drugs he's on!?

Gosh. This makes me feel like a wimp! I swear, I'm still sore and it hurts to scratch my head!

Real Name
    Sharon
    01-27-19
    Quote Originally Posted by windy View Post
    But Nate's a pro racer,in good shapeand a real nice tough guy.

Well...this makes me feel slightly better. I'm not a pro-racer. But I'm in good shape and I thought I was a "real nice tough gal." But I'm 50-something and my bones are, I'm coming to accept, getting up there!

02-04-15
    It takes a certain mental toughness to take off, alone, on a motorcycle and ride halfway across the country. A lot of people don't have that, maybe most people. So, yeah, yer a tough bird, Sharon, and a really nice person.

I've often been surprised at the number of people I've met who've never been out of their own county. They say, "Oh, I could never do that." when they hear about some ride you're on. It makes me wonder what happened to that great American spirit that built our country. Praise be to (insert deity, or not) that folks on two wheels still have it.

George

Nashville TN kismetcapitan is offline Volunteer Moderator - F800S/ST, S1000RR
    Real Name
    Toby
    08-07-15
    Motorcycle
    '12 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '00 ST4
    Motorcycle
    '10 S1000RR
    Motorcycle
    '03 GPR80
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrosa View Post
    Six months?! Ouch!!
    well, I didn't break nearly as much as you have, but I broke one coming off my bike just a couple weeks after getting it (applied full throttle on road salt, d'oh), then when it was almost healed, I slipped and fell on some oil on the garage floor, breaking another. Then when that got better, I tripped and fell over my own feet Again, one broken. Then there was my idiot incident when I thought I'd ride my bike down ten levels of underground parking, coasting from ramp to ramp with the engine off, then lowsided to avoid hitting a car that did not see or (obviously!!) hear me, and I did not have ABS due to the bike being off...

Hope you get well soon! Any recollection yet on how you fell?
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale - red
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo - matte grey
    2011 Ducati 796 Monster ABS - red
    2007 BMW F800S - sunset yellow...Bumblebee! (sold) 

Real Name
    Sharon
    01-27-19
    Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    well, I didn't break nearly as much as you have, but I broke one coming off my bike just a couple weeks after getting it (applied full throttle on road salt, d'oh), then when it was almost healed, I slipped and fell on some oil on the garage floor, breaking another. Then when that got better, I tripped and fell over my own feet Again, one broken. Then there was my idiot incident when I thought I'd ride my bike down ten levels of underground parking, coasting from ramp to ramp with the engine off, then lowsided to avoid hitting a car that did not see or (obviously!!) hear me, and I did not have ABS due to the bike being off...

Hope you get well soon! Any recollection yet on how you fell?
    Wow! I had to take a pain med to finishing reading about all of your mishaps!!

I wrote on my blog that I think several things may have contributed to being distracted. I'm guessing that low blood sugar (not having eaten all day); possibly some dehydration?; waving when I should have been pressing;--a split second of being distracted may have been all it took?

Real Name
    Claye
    05-01-15
    Motorcycle
    '06 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Sorry that I've been missing from the chatter . . .
    I just got home tonight from a two week ride. I rode The Great River Road from the Mississippi Headwaters to its mouth in Venice, LA. Great ride. Thanks for following along using my SPOT, Sharon. Glad you're taking it slow and easy. I reckon now isn't the challenge though. It will be more of a challenge when you you feel better and "think" you can "do" whatever you want. Remember the doctor's orders and take it easy until the doctor signs your release note to come back and play.

19. Thanks Shrosa thanked for this post

07-25-13
    N8! is definitely a tough cookie, I talked to him a bit at Biketoberfest at Morton's - but as pointed out he is a professional and the rest of us is just - us! Take it from me that you won't be doing any hopping (maybe hobbling ) for a while.
    Take it slow and do like Fleeter said, doctors orders are generally there for a reason...........I presume that hubby has learned to behave himself

Real Name
    Sharon
    01-27-19
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclist View Post
    It takes a certain mental toughness to take off, alone, on a motorcycle and ride halfway across the country. A lot of people don't have that, maybe most people. So, yeah, yer a tough bird, Sharon, and a really nice person.

I've often been surprised at the number of people I've met who've never been out of their own county. They say, "Oh, I could never do that." when they hear about some ride you're on. It makes me wonder what happened to that great American spirit that built our country. Praise be to (insert deity, or not) that folks on two wheels still have it.

George
    Hey George,

I appreciate that. I like how you framed it. I've been hearing a lot later that I'm "just stubborn," to which I always thank the accuser. They ought to be used to it by now...nothing has changed. I was a pretty good kid, NEVER got into any trouble. But I was consistently being told to stop taking off without telling others. I used to ride my bicycle all over the place, going from the southside of Chicago to nearby suburbs or downtown Chicago just because... As a bicyclist yourself, you know how much fun that is too!

Real Name
    Sharon
    01-27-19
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    ...I presume that hubby has learned to behave himself
    Ha! That made me laugh! He is well-behaved and he knows I carry mace--and I will use it!

Real Name
    Sharon
    01-27-19
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleeter View Post
    Sorry that I've been missing from the chatter . . .
    I just got home tonight from a two week ride. I rode The Great River Road from the Mississippi Headwaters to its mouth in Venice, LA. Great ride. Thanks for following along using my SPOT, Sharon. Glad you're taking it slow and easy. I reckon now isn't the challenge though. It will be more of a challenge when you you feel better and "think" you can "do" whatever you want. Remember the doctor's orders and take it easy until the doctor signs your release note to come back and play.
    Welcome Home!

Following your trip has totally helped in my recuperation!! I am really trying to follow orders and only occasionally do I err and get a physical reminder that I've crossed the line. Dave, the mild-mannered husband, has turned into a hovering nag (which I appreciate sort of) who won't allow me do much for myself--that part I hate.

I hope you post a ride report or summary here too.

Doing a lot of trip planning...

03-05-10
    Ok Sharon.

Time to get out and do some walking.

You gotta get the lungs expanded.

Ya can't be an invalid forever ya know......

(seriously, I hope that the healing is going well. Godspeed to you and yours)

25. Thanks Shrosa thanked for this post

Real Name
    Sharon
    01-27-19
    Ok Sharon.

Time to get out and do some walking.

You gotta get the lungs expanded.

Ya can't be an invalid forever ya know......

(seriously, I hope that the healing is going well. Godspeed to you and yours)
    I agree with you totally!! Husband took me on an outing yesterday. It was freeing even thought it was only for a doctor's appointment. We went out to lunch afterwards and I came up with other errands that kept us out longer. Probably over did it slightly. Walking hurt like the dickens but I enjoyed feeling in motion!

After four hours out, we returned home and the aching began. Still, it was fun to get out and as you say, "get the lungs expanded." The ribs still lag behind in the healing but I think that's due to lack of movement.

Doc and husband are being conservative. But I got them to agree that I should carry on "as tolerated." I do not make a good invalid! Everyone's life here will be improved the more I am free.

Thanks for the well-wishes!

Real Name
    Dale Frosch
    12-23-13
    Been off the net for a while - Sorry to hear of your crash,but if i've got the time interval correct you should be back on the horse by now . Been there and done that(ribs and clavicle)
    so I'm aware of the recovery involved but in time it will all resolve to normal. Frostman
    Last edited by Frostman; 12-06-09 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Spelling

Real Name
    Sharon
    01-27-19
    Hi Dale,

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, I've been back in the saddle for a long time now. Feel great. I must say, practicing the guitar too long still stresses my left shoulder--but other than that I've been great.

Managed to ride well over 22,000 miles this ride season; I'm still riding, although yesterday was below freezing and the ride was shorter than I wanted.

I see that you're in St. Louis--I took a day ride there this summer and made it back home near midnight. Lots of fun!

Thanks again!

Real Name
    Mark B.
    08-16-18
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Hey Sharon,

DANG! I thought I was doing good with 21k this year. Anyway, it's good to hear that you're still out on the road. I was out over the weekend for a bit, up to DeKalb for breakfast. With the snow, ice and salt this morning I'm done for the year. I don't like riding any of them after the salt is spread. Happy holidays, and March is less than 3 months away!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2