Installing Navigator V on non BMW - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Robert Norton
    12-10-17
    I'm interested in moving my Navigator V to a non BMW machine. I am hoping to install a separate Nav V four button cradle on a Honda and transfer the gps unit as needed. I have a second cradle with the attached BMW plug(s). Since the Honda doesn't have that style connector, I'd like to remove the BMW connector and find power on the Honda. Question: which of the three wires are pos and neg? Is it ok to wire directly to a 12 volt source (battery)? I've tried using USB with no luck. Any other suggestions for getting power to the Nav V on another bike is appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Dan H
    07-13-21
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    I can't answer the harness question, but it is definitely OK -- in fact, preferable in my opinion -- to wire direct to a 12v source that is not switched by the key. I hate having to fuss with the GPS shutting off at gas stops. And the risk of running down the battery, unless you leave the GPS on for days with the bike parked, is close to zero.

Just be sure to include a fuse, in general the closer to the battery the better, because the fuse is to prevent a fire if your power wire shorts out, not, as commonly believed, to "protect" the GPS.

-dan
    Blue '09 F800 ST: ABS, toasty grips, trip computer, center stand, sport panniers, Ventura luggage, Valentine 1, Garmin zümo 660 RAM mounted, Sena 20S, P3 LED tail lights, Grip Pups, Centech AP-1 fuse panel, Go Cruise control, Shoei GT-Air, Gerbing's jacket liner, MRA X-creen Sport. 

Real Name
    Robert Norton
    12-10-17
    I wanted to follow up on my original attempt to install the Navigator V four button mount to a Honda. After some investigating and some input from a service rep at Max BMW I eventually chopped off the two BMW sockets meant for BMW machines. I separated the red(+) and black(-) wires (there are five wires) and spliced and soldered them onto an SAE (Battery Tender) connector being careful to distinguish between + and -. Seems to work fine. Now I can move the Navigator V between bikes without removing the four button mount. The extra four button mount cost $85.00.