R1200RT service socket help - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Gilbert Griffith
    07-30-18
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    ​RI am trying to connect an OBD2 unit to a friend's R1200RT but the service plug on his bike has different pin placements than on my F800GS.

Does anyone know which of the 4 pins are which on the R1200 service plug? His plug is under the right side triangular cover and his model is 2015.
    I found the +12V and earth pins with my multimeter but the other two pins have weird voltages on them. One should be +12 when the ignition is turned on, but it doesn't.
    Any help appreciated, especially a photo.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Frank
    10-11-22
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    You are talking about the round 10-pin diagnostic connector, right?
    As far as I know, these are all the same for the BMW models with this round connector.
    For connecting an OBDII diagnostic tool, adapter cables are available (HEXCode, ebay, AliExpress etc.).

2013 F800GT Valencia Orange 

Real Name
    Gilbert Griffith
    07-30-18
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankV View Post
    You are talking about the round 10-pin diagnostic connector, right?
    As far as I know, these are all the same for the BMW models with this round connector.
    For connecting an OBDII diagnostic tool, adapter cables are available (HEXCode, ebay, AliExpress etc.).
    Yes the round one.
    My F800GS has the same diagnostic plug, but the pins in his model are in slightly different positions.
    I don't have his bike here so I can't photograph it. But there are photos of my version floating around on the web.
    Next time he brings his bike around I am going to try using trial and error. His plug has only 4 pins.
    One is 12v which is on all the time,
    One is earth,
    The other two should be K line signal and L line signal, and I only need the K line (I'm pretty sure) for my OBDLink LX.
    I just looked it up and the K line is bi-directional and the L line is one way (read) only.

My plug has five pins, the extra one being +12v when the ignition is turned on.
    Which gives me an idea to allow me to leave the OBD2 plug connected all the time and only use the +12v Ignition on for power. Hopefully the OBD2 doesn't need two 12 volt supplies and I can leave the permanent one disconnected.