Interesting new members - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Real Name
    Andrew
    10-10-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Three new members, bare bones member information on their profile, posting each an hour apart and their first post being rather odd for a first post:

https://f800riders.org/forum/member....835-Marissa007

https://f800riders.org/forum/member.php/293837-MACKBA

https://f800riders.org/forum/member.php/293821-floriann

Do their IP addresses reveal any commonalities?

My suspicious side is wondering if these profiles are being created for purposes other than intended.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    terry
    09-30-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Yes Andrew, a bit odd, especially a first post enquiring about the comparisons between table saws and band saws. We all have to be vigilant as cyber attacks/scams are getting more prevalent.

On a lighter side it wouldn't surprise me that some foreign intelligence organisations wish to take over our "F" site to learn the secrets of the "Worse Jokes" thread.
    "I was cut out to be a genius. Unfortunately somebody forgot to put the pieces together"
    Tubby Clayton - Toc H founder 

10-12-22
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Clearly fake, first tool for any small hobby workshop has to be a small centre lathe surely. Myford ML7 or ML10 springs to mind (probably a South Bend for our USA members) and if you get a milling attachment it can delay the need for a Bridgeport. Then I'd say oxy kit, pedestal drill, bench grinder, small forge,..... there is just so much more you need before any kind of powered saw.

5. Likes notacop, oxytotl, steve n rose liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Bill
    01-01-21
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Quote Originally Posted by oxytotl View Post
    wish to take over our "F" site to learn the secrets of the "Worse Jokes" thread.
    They tried to post a pic with a virus . . . . . .
    2013 F800GT Graphite Metallic-Gone to a new home
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st 

8. Likes Richard230, oxytotl liked this post

05-01-19
    Motorcycle
    '07 F 800 ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Runmyownlife View Post
    Three new members, bare bones member information on their profile, posting each an hour apart and their first post being rather odd for a first post:

https://f800riders.org/forum/member....835-Marissa007

https://f800riders.org/forum/member.php/293837-MACKBA

https://f800riders.org/forum/member.php/293821-floriann

Do their IP addresses reveal any commonalities?

My suspicious side is wondering if these profiles are being created for purposes other than intended.
    Get a Mod to delete the accounts ASAP.. if they are real they will come back. Guessing not.

Motorcycle
    '19 Chopper
    Motorcycle
    '18 Gran Rapido Lusso
    floriann shared an IP with a spam account. They're gone.

Which account shared an image with a virus in it?

- JB

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfPint View Post
    floriann shared an IP with a spam account. They're gone.

Which account shared an image with a virus in it?

- JB
    sorry JB, I couldn't check their IP because I don't know how to control the spammers' database. I've leaved their posts because of the replies of many members, waiting if they continue to post messages like those ones.
    and don't worry, as I know, at the moment we have not any virus in any picture, I suppose that it was just a Bill's thought of what could be possible.
    "putenza du gibbiuni!" dissi u sceccu quannu vitti u mari... ("what a big pool!" said the donkey when has seen the sea...) 

Real Name
    terry
    09-30-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by guidoveloce View Post
    ................ at the moment we have not any virus in any picture, I suppose that it was just a Bill's thought of what could be possible.
    Knowing Bill, I think it was a joke regarding the inability to post pictures Guido.
    "I was cut out to be a genius. Unfortunately somebody forgot to put the pieces together"

Real Name
    Bill
    01-01-21
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GT
    Knowing Bill, I think it was a joke regarding the inability to post pictures Guido.
    I am a cross between a college professor and a donkey - A Smart Ass . . . .
    2013 F800GT Graphite Metallic-Gone to a new home
    Not a 2nd childhood, still in the 1st 

14. Likes oxytotl, guidoveloce, steve n rose liked this post

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    something like the human kind in the Nietzsche's thoughts.
    "putenza du gibbiuni!" dissi u sceccu quannu vitti u mari... ("what a big pool!" said the donkey when has seen the sea...) 

16. Likes WildWilly liked this post

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    actually it was "a god and a monkey", but we can accept the Bill's interpretation. this is the hermeneutics.

18. Likes WildWilly, IanA liked this post

Real Name
    terry
    09-30-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    actually it was "a god and a monkey", but we can accept the Bill's interpretation. this is the hermeneutics.
    Well done Guido "hermeneutics" is a word I'm not familiar with and had to look up the definition! It's taken an Italian to teach me a new word, doesn't that take the biscuit!

Real Name
    Andrew
    10-10-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    hermeneutics.
    ....the branch of knowledge that deals with interpretation, especially of the Bible or literary texts.

Interesting! I'm glad you introduced me to this word, Guido.

I work alongside a good number of immigrants to Canada and come across situations where these English language learners have more better grammar** and make greater use of sesquipedalian words.

I'll try to use hermeneutics in a sentence as soon as I can pronounce it!

**I used very poor grammar to make a funny.
    Last edited by Runmyownlife; 09-01-18 at 12:14 AM.

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    also "sesquipedalian" is a peculiar words, I think that you are one of the few people who know its meaning. in italian is "sesquipedale", actually it isn't used frequently. it derives from a latin word that means one foot and a half. it was originally used to define some kind of long bricks, but for extension it means a long and aulic word. it was since my secondary school days, when I studied the latin, that I didn't heard that word.

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    when I was seventeen I didn't want to stay with my family, so I went to live in London for a bit more than one year, The first thing I did when I realized that my english was really poor, was to go to nearest library and start to read as many books I could. now I've lost the practice with the spoken language, but I'm still able to read a good english book and, making a lot of mistakes, to write something. but when I published an article translated in english, even if I did the translation by myself, I needed the help of a professional translator anyway. as you can see, especially in my longer posts I write more likely in the italian way than in the english way... for example, the use of the punctuation is typically italian.

23. Likes oxytotl, Richard230 liked this post

Real Name
    terry
    09-30-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    You're English and grammar is excellent Guido I wish I had your versatility, I did try to learn French over the years but never really progressed, you have to use it or lose it - so I lost it. A year living in London will have given you a good understanding of the language and our idiosyncrasies.

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    even if I studied English since the primary school I've actually learnt the language when I went to live in London, you must live in that place to learn the language.
    after about one year and a half I came back to Italy and I remember that I needed some days to start again to speak the correct Italian, because I used to think and even dream in English.
    still now some words come to my mind initially in English, then I find the correspondent italian term. but I must admit that the spoken language now is mostly lost.
    ... anyway, just yesterday I replied to an italian thread in English, then I realized that it was the "wrong" language.

26. Likes oxytotl, IanA liked this post
    notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

10-07-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    I met a young lady as we traveled back on the train from London to Stuttgart. She had been in England for a couple years as a nanny.
    Her German speaking had gotten rusty after a couple years and greeted her Mom, "Hi, Mom." instead of Gutten Tag Mutter.

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    if you speak another language for long time and then you hear again speaking your mother language you feel that there is something strange, isn't so easy to speak two languages at the same time... for that there are the professional translators, not the common people like me, I'm a very bad translator.

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    you can easily use two kind of writing, but using only one language (usually the mother language, but some people can write very well using more than one language). but not if you are speaking. for example I can write the Italian in a divulgative language or using the musicological language, I can even write so to make easy the meaning of a musicological analysis to those who don't know the specific musicological terms. or turn in musicological terms an idea that concern the music expressed in the common spoken language. but I find very hard to do something like that into a single speech. but as I said this has no sense because everybody knows the common spoken language and there is no reason to transform an idea expressed a simple and clear way into something more difficult to manipulate.

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    a wonderful example of what I've just said is in the Doctor Faustus by Mann, where he tells of a conference hold by the music teacher of the protagonist of the novel on "why Beethoven's last piano Sonata has not the third movement?" the analysis of the Sonata (Klaviersonate Nr. 32 in c-Moll, op.111) is made by Th. W. Adorno and Mann is a master in turning the difficult and caustic Adorno's writing way into a masterpiece of the literature accessible to everybody.

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    p.s. unfortunately, my writing worths less than a dirty sock of Thomas Mann.

Motorcycle
    '19 Chopper
    Motorcycle
    '18 Gran Rapido Lusso
    This looks to be resolved for the moment. Let us know if you find anything else suspicious and we'll look into it.

- JB

33. Likes oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    terry
    09-30-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Well done Halfpint for bringing us back, Guido has a better understanding of the English language than the majority of us native speakers

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    Well done Halfpint for bringing us back, Guido has a better understanding of the English language than the majority of us native speakers
    My oldest granddaughter is studying for the next year at the Freie University in Berlin. She had to take a month-long German language immersion course at the FU before she could start her courses next month. Not only did she get the highest possible score in her German class, but she says she speaks better German than the Syrian woman who owns the Airbnb flat that she has been staying at for the past two weeks. (She has been living in the woman's living room for 33 Euros a night.) Tomorrow she moves into an FU off-campus dorm and is very happy to be moving out of the flat and into her permanent college housing.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

36. Likes guidoveloce, oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    thanks Terry, but no, it isn't so. I only try to understand how to use the right words. if I know something about languages is due to the work I did for about 25 years, which was to write. an I italian writer, well known also in America, Italo Calvino, in his American Lessons, a collection of his speeches hold in some American Universities, wrote that the matter of the literature, the words, is like grains of sands and put all together, in a handwork, they can became a castle... I've always liked the castles, their architecture, the sense of strength that they can transmit.

Real Name
    terry
    09-30-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    There's a big difference between the spoken and written language. The words you used would rarely be uttered when talking to people in normal conversation as the person you are talking to would say "eh? Wot you say man?" (sic). I have a thing about the phrase - "for sure" (used frequently by foreigners) instead of answering with a straight -yes!

Am taking a weeks respite and travelling to Brittany by bike with four of my friends, not certain how to get this on my phone! Good luck

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    if you use in the spoken language sic, "yes!", someone would say "eh? what you say man?", "for sure".
    I wrote all the examples you have just given into a different phrase, it's a simple way to play with words... if you want to build the castle, you must ha a certain manuality with the bricks.

40. Likes oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    here it's the happy hour for the "pappataci" (the sandflies), after 2:00 pm, they start to drink my blood... for free. I must wear a long sleeve shirt.

42. Likes Richard230, oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    Every bug loves happy hour. Where I live it is so foggy all of the time that we don't have any bugs as they can't see how to get here.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

44. Likes oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    I always leave all the windows and the doors open, it's a lost war. but when the sun sets down there is a bat that comes into my home and eat all the mosquitos that he can catches. I think that he is always the same bat because now he knows perfectly how to move in my home.

46. Likes Richard230, Runmyownlife, oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    I have lots of birds in my backyard that I feed. But mostly they eat about 40 pounds of seed a month. If they are also eating bugs, I sure haven't noticed it. Most of the birds are morning doves, scrub jays, Stellers Jays, Dark Eyed Junkos, finches, towies, and a few random other birds that are out for a free lunch. I would like to also have a bat or two and an owl for night cleanup, but nothing like that seems to spend much time on the coast.

48. Likes oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    here there are two big wood pigeons which never miss my car with their escrements, when they eat mulberries they make my car white with dark red pois, then there are some magpies, a lot of sparrow, robins and at night there are a couple of owls. then you see also some bats flying around the pines, they all live on the trees around here and I see or hear them every day, there must be also a curlew, because I here him every evening, but I've never seen him.
    I don't feed them but that bat has decided that my home is a quite safe (for him, also Pina now doesn't care if he flies inside here) hunting reserve. in truth I don't like and don't know the birds really much, as I don't like to much the various crickets and flying insects that I let to fly in my home, including bees and wasps. I simply leave the doors open, they come in and I don't care about them. the only "dangerous" flying things that come inside are the mosquitos and a particular type of sand flies whose bite is very annoying that we call pappataci.

50. Likes oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    here there are owl and bats also near the sea you can find them in the countryside and even in the towns if there is a bit of green.

Real Name
    Steve
    10-12-22
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    if you use in the spoken language sic, "yes!", someone would say "eh? what you say man?", "for sure".
    Us Aussies have a different way of saying "yes". it's "Blood oath, mate."
    As of Mon, 1st Feb 2016- ;
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery,
    Today is a gift (that's why it's called "the present")
    #1 tip I ride by: Ride as though you're invisible, not invincible
    Bikes so far: Honda CB250-Traded, Suzuki GS500F-Traded, '07 F800ST Matt Graphitan-Deceased, '10 F800ST Night Blue-sold, at present bikeless 

53. Likes IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    Quote Originally Posted by steve n rose View Post
    Us Aussies have a different way of saying "yes". it's "Blood oath, mate."
    is it because you live upside-down?

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    anyway you are unbeatable, you can use an entire phrase instead of one of the shorter word of the Oxford English Dictionary. great!

Real Name
    terry
    09-30-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800 GT
    Have just returned from my biking hols in Brittany, great weather great company and good to be back! I met another White GT owner on the road between Lorient and Brest who said he hailed from Somerset and promised to look in on the F800 gang.

My inclusion of "sic" was the latin meaning 'just as' - spelling mistakes and all.

up to a couple of years ago we had over 100 bats living in our roof usually just for the summer, there's still a handful but the main bunch moved on to my neighbours property, perhaps they had a much better class of insects to feed on or just didn't like my taste in music!

57. Likes guidoveloce liked this post

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    "sic" was the latin meaning 'just as'
    it was one of my father favorite expression in his divulgative writings.

59. Likes oxytotl liked this post

Real Name
    Steve
    10-12-22
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    is it because you live upside-down?
    Fair suck of the sav, don't come the raw prawn with me, we're the right side up.
    Last edited by steve n rose; 09-08-18 at 04:43 PM.
    Bikes so far: Honda CB250-Traded, Suzuki GS500F-Traded, '07 F800ST Matt Graphitan-Deceased, '10 F800ST Night Blue-sold, at present bikeless 

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    you re wrong Steve: the north pole is up and the south pole is down, so, if the earth is round, all the people living down to the equator must stay all the time upside down... it's one of the few certainty that I have, roughly since I started to believe in the Copernican system instead of the Ptolemaic conception.

62. Likes Richard230, IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    as the Italy is all up-hill for us who live in Sicily, in fact, all the times that I've ridden back to Sicily from a trip in the northern part of Italy I've always been faster than in the going.

64. Likes oxytotl, IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Steve
    10-12-22
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Ah, but who says North is up? Could it be that northerners have been thinking incorrectly all along. Remember, everyone once thought that the world was flat. If one takes a photo at the South Pole the sky is at the top of the photo, therefore that way is up

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    before to receive in gift a globe I've only seen the world maps on the books, and as I could see the Earth was flat (the Ptolemaic conception is the only one that everybody can believe before to receive a globe for some birthday). but then I realized that the Earth is like a well rounded clod and it was hold in place (I have to admit that I still don't understand how the Earth can stay in place, but seems to be so) with the north – yes! the north! – on the top. but I also think that there is not only one truth, but there is an infinite nunber of truths and all of them can be possible, so I can accept yours too, but I must exhort you to have a look at a globe.

Real Name
    Steve
    10-12-22
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    The first person to create a globe placed the globe on the pivot pin upside down!

68. Likes Richard230, oxytotl, Daboo liked this post

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    as I said, this is one of the infinite possible truths.

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    as I said, this is one of the infinite possible truths.
    Are we talking fake political news, here?

Melbourne, Australia IanA is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Ian
    10-10-22
    Wonderfully diverse thread. Keep it up guys, you're making my day.

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    no, about a thin thread that links giordano bruno with robert musil, not too much different than the fake news logic, in truth, but with some substantial differences.

Real Name
    Steve
    10-12-22
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Yes, it is having it's ups and downs.

(i know, it's a grand-dad joke, but what the heck )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast