dirt tracking at motogp ? - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Lonnie
    08-30-21
    just got done watching the last few laps of MotoGP Teruel at MotorLand Aragón ---

where have i been ? not watching any roadracing for a bit it seems -----

going into certain corners, these guys are sticking their inside leg out, foot almost (or maybe) touching the track, and then back on the peg before full lean -- never in all my years of watching have i seen this -

so when did this become common practice, and more importantly, WHY are they doing this ?
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Lyle
    06-13-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Dangling your leg into this high-speed airstream results in a significant force on the rider's leg as it acts like a small parachute, creating a turning moment by pulling the riders leg around his core. This in turn encourages a pull on the outside handlebar, further helping to turn the bike through counter-steering.

In 2005, Valentino Rossi barged up the inside of Sete Gibernau on the final corner of the last lap in Jerez. With a collision between the two imminent as they dove in heavy on the brakes, the Italian frantically took his inside leg off the footpeg. Rossi pulled off the pass and raced forward to the checkered flag — and ultimately, the world title.

Since then, the "Doctor Dangle" has become a standard roadracing maneuver. The leg wave is now a regular tool included in racers' repertoires all over the world, from MotoGP down to your local club race. What originally seemed nothing more than an act of desperation and, for a long while, looked flat-out awkward, has become the norm. In fact, any corner where riders are not waving their inside legs just above the ground while hard on the brakes lacks the visual sensation of demon-braking and promise of a pass waiting to happen.

Real Name
    Lonnie
    08-30-21
    interesting - thanks for explanation - not sure it's making sense to my brain, but maybe after i sleep on it, who knows - i may come around and give it a go on the GT
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

10-11-22
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Plus it makes you a bit wider which hopefully would protect your space on the inside from a pass. Though many racers would still dive in and give you a nudge.

There's been some debate on this, but as Lag indicated, it works! So all the premier guys are doing it.

Did you catch it on NBC? It's on NBCSports (NBCSN) and occasionally on the main network, Usually pre-recorded but a few earlier in season were live on NBCSN. F1 bumps the converage.
    2020 F900R Blue 

01-12-22
    Yes, I think #46 Rossi is the guy I remember starting that style. At first other riders complained he was blocking their line or signaling a crash situation so they would back off, but now it's common to see riders dangle a leg to balance the braking wag of the motorcycle. All those European riders grew up watching Rossi win races so they were bound to copy his style. He's one of the greatest!

Real Name
    Lyle
    06-13-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizdad View Post
    interesting - thanks for explanation - not sure it's making sense to my brain, but maybe after i sleep on it, who knows - i may come around and give it a go on the GT
    Ya, "clear as mud", even among top professional riders & writers, opinions vary as to the effects and effectiveness of the leg dangle technique,,.

Interestingly a number of years back I did a couple of extended road trips in Europe and on a few occasions I observed a rendition or mimic of this leg dangle technique among street riders where it would make little sense in my opinion,,!!

Ware, Herts, UK Pat H is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Pat
    10-06-22
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800S
    Scooter riders do it all the time at sub 30MPH. But I suspect that's just a fall off prevention technique.
    Flame red F800s as of Nov 2006. Watch for me around North London.

Don't miss the F800 Garage Door Opener Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-Bxifv2Pk 

10. Likes Daboo, Cheesy rider liked this post

10-11-22
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800 ST
    Here is the explanation why from a motoGP pilot.

https://youtu.be/99Fat0jLj_U

12. Likes Kevin313, XR1000 liked this post

10-11-22
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Closterman View Post
    Here is the explanation why from a motoGP pilot.
    Guintoli paid attention in his physics class. This is the best explanation I've seen.
    2020 F900R Blue 

Real Name
    Bob Cuttler
    08-24-22
    All those European riders grew up watching Rossi win races so they were bound to copy his style. He's one of the greatest![/QUOTE]
    ================================================== ============
    First I ever saw Rossi doing this Marquez was already "The Man" though he did also copy the leg wave thing.

Bob

Real Name
    Mike C
    08-12-21
    Yep, The Doctor is credited for starting it. So much so, now many riders have a rear brake control attached to their handle bars so they can do this on either side - was it Sam Lowes that grabbed his rear brake handle instead of his clutch (which is now tilted much lower) in Austria and completely went arse over tit into another guy?? But Casey, Lorenzo ( and now Remy Gardner) rarely if ever used this technique.

12-28-20
    It's good that they have made something like these.