worth the effort ? - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Lonnie
    08-30-21
    '13 F800GT
    '93 DR350S 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    It depends on what you want to do with your spare time. The clue for me to stay away was, "Doesn't even try". How much in time and money will I have to spend getting it to running condition. And then what will I do with it? Where will I ride it?

There's a running version of it for $5100 in Houston, TX on Cycle Trader. https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...--5-5014634370

Selling my 73 BMW R75/5. The bike is in good condition. It starts right up and runs perfectly.
    When I purchased it there was a solo seat on the bike. I have installed a new dual seat from Capital Cycle along with a new right hand mirror and tool tray. I also installed new clutch and brake cables. Also has Brown sidestand.
    Shows 30062 miles but I have no way of knowing if that is correct. I purchased a set of Krauser bags and mounting rack but have never installed them on the bike. The bags are in good condition with no cracks but they do need a good cleaning.
    Has newer Ikon rear shocks with shields, front forks have been rebuilt with all sealing washers, gaitors, and progressive springs.
    New pushrod seals have been installed also.
    Recent Odyssey battery, and Velo Starter upgrade.
    For some, it would be worth it. For me, not so much. Good luck with your decision.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

10-07-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    The old airheads can have faults and there are a lot of well intentioned folks playing with motorcycles that should never pick up a screwdriver.
    The old bikes can be surprisingly simple too. Basically everything is hanging out in the breeze. Pull the front and top engine cover and the air box after you lift off the tank and everything is at hand. Open the headlight bucket and the bulk of the wiring is staring you in the face.
    There is also a wealth of knowledge if you join the Air Head community.
    Some dealers are not working on the older bikes but there are a lot of solo mechanics that can still work on them.

5. Likes BoxerBits, Richard230 liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Nigel
    08-26-22
    SWB /5 with kickstart and the old /2 headlamp, speedo/Tacho. unit would be a good potential Lonnie. Shame the current owner looks to have the front mudguard mounted wrong way round[emoji23]

Based on current exchange rate that would be around £2200 sterling so, depending on your competence on the spanner's, not much risk should the worse happen and you need to break her to recover your costs.

Those old engine's are pretty solid and nice to work on but a real rat's nest in the the head lamp where the fuses are mounted but luckily nowhere the complexity of an F8.

Does the engine turnover and not fire or does she just not turnover?

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Andrew
    10-10-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Do you notice the pictures are taken in three different locations? Inside a garage, outside with a garage door background and a dirt yard/trailer park.

The bike doesn't run but moves it around for pictures? Weird enough for me to proceed with high caution.
    Concrete remains undefeated.