Main fuse randomly blows - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Karl
    01-20-22
    Motorcycle
    '94 XT350
    Motorcycle
    '10 G450X
    Motorcycle
    '06 F650GS (Single)
    This just started a couple days ago.
    My main fuse (30A) keeps blowing. It blew for no apparent reasons then would just blow as soon as I "energized" the bike with the light switch. I disconnected my LED headlight since one of the contact was bent so I figured it was an internal short. Push started it with a 7.5A fuse instead of 30 and it started and ran fine until I got home.
    I replaced my LED headlight with a new one, inspected all the wires I could see for chaffing and the fuse to a 30AMP and the bike ran fine for an hour or so but when practicing my log jumping skills, It blew again.

Before I do a full wire inspection and plug cleaning, has this ever happen to anybody? if so, and it got fixed, what was the fix?

Im not rulling out electrical spikes an such.

The internet was full of ideas such as "look for a pinched/chaffed wire" , "clean the starter relay", which I will if I don't get suggestion that would point me to a more specific area.

Note: The bike has only 150hrs and starts and runs great otherwise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Tim
    02-29-24
    Motorcycle
    '11 FE570
    Motorcycle
    '15 FE 501
    Motorcycle
    '77 Mc400
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Welcome Karl, I believe I answered your post on the FB page along with BigDom.
    The main fuse blowing can only be a few things, mainly a dead short. But this could happen in several places on the harness. It has happened to plenty of us owners, I can assure you.
    Maybe not the same exact symptoms as yours but the main current fuse is there for a reason.
    You have got to have a dead short somewhere or it wouldn't blow.
    You need to check where the harness has the most movement, near the steering head, Primary wiring from the battery to the relay, any part of the wire harness that is tucked under, behind, doubled over, tied back, or visually damaged, visually abraded or mildly chafed, etc.
    I would start eliminating areas you have already checked even if you have to open up the protective sleeve around the wiring in the harness to do so.
    Check the exposed wires coming out of the protective sleeves of the harness bundles going to each plug connector.
    They can get a bit crispy from age and exposure.
    Go over the entire harness and solve the harness issue. Do this before you ride the bike with things disconnected just to test ride the bike.

Real Name
    Karl
    01-20-22
    Motorcycle
    '94 XT350
    Motorcycle
    '10 G450X
    Motorcycle
    '06 F650GS (Single)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tims1572 View Post
    Welcome Karl, I believe I answered your post on the FB page along with BigDom.
    The main fuse blowing can only be a few things, mainly a dead short. But this could happen in several places on the harness. It has happened to plenty of us owners, I can assure you.
    Maybe not the same exact symptoms as yours but the main current fuse is there for a reason.
    You have got to have a dead short somewhere or it wouldn't blow.
    You need to check where the harness has the most movement, near the steering head, Primary wiring from the battery to the relay, any part of the wire harness that is tucked under, behind, doubled over, tied back, or visually damaged, visually abraded or mildly chafed, etc.
    I would start eliminating areas you have already checked even if you have to open up the protective sleeve around the wiring in the harness to do so.
    Check the exposed wires coming out of the protective sleeves of the harness bundles going to each plug connector.
    They can get a bit crispy from age and exposure.
    Go over the entire harness and solve the harness issue. Do this before you ride the bike with things disconnected just to test ride the bike.

Thanks Tim

This is what I will have to do. Im just going to have to put enough time aside to check everything. I was just looking for the easy(lazy) answer. LOL

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Thats It
    10-23-23
    Sounds like you are getting good advise there Karl.

Im a fellow newcomer to this great forum, as well as a fellow Islander.

Im from Comox so we are about 40min apart.

Send me a personal message if you want to try to hook up for a ride.
    BrrrappGone 

7. Likes Tims1572 liked this post