Coded Plug - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Thats It
    10-23-23
    Anyone have a pic of the Coded plug without the white cover?

What color are the wires in this assembly and how many are there?

Im trying to find it to see if its in sport mode or not..and the previous owner has some weird shit going on with the wiring....

Thanks....
    BrrrappGone 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

11-27-23
    It’s two wires: (1) Blue/Brown (2) Brown
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_1631924398863.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	374397  

4. Thanks Tims1572 thanked for this post

Real Name
    Thats It
    10-23-23
    Thanks CG!
    BrrrappGone 

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Thats It
    10-23-23
    Hi again....sorry I am not very competent on the mechanical end of most engines and therefore usually have most of my service done at local shops.

With this bike (and this forum) I am getting more educated and determined to do more....and I have been. Slowly I'm diving deeper and getting more confident....I do have a backyard mechanic that can rescue me, but hes pretty baffled too...this bike is certainly not run of the mill.

Having said that I really appreciate this forum and all the info and help available here....thank you!

So a few more ?s...

I cant find the coded plug....I suspect it could be hooked up to a power boost module that I think I see (floating around unfastened) under the seat? It has a braided wire that travels from it to the front of the bike near or at the battery. The bike screams so I really don't need any more power.... I just would like to know what's on it....the previous owner had little or no idea what the fella prior had done. Does this make sense? Would the coded plug be used in power commander installation?

I have no front cover for the airbox...Just a torn fabric covering the round intake. I cant find any information or maintenance anywhere in the G450x manual. Anywhere else I can see what I'm missing? Maybe some basic instruction on how to maintain the intake air/filters? Is this the only one?

Thanks in advance....

Cheers from Canada.
    BrrrappGone 

11-27-23
    ahoy,
    The plug isn’t coded, it’s just a line of connectivity. As long as the loop is completely it’ll be activated. You can rig up a switch and it’ll work.

It was originally located on the backside of the right front “tank” faring… that’ll likely be long gone.

Good luck!!

9. Thanks Tims1572 thanked for this post
    Likes Tims1572 liked this post

Real Name
    Tim
    02-29-24
    Motorcycle
    '11 FE570
    Motorcycle
    '15 FE 501
    Motorcycle
    '77 Mc400
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    If the braided wire you see is into the plug at the end of the Blue striped Brown wire and solid brown wire it could lead forward on the bike to a hidden toggle switch that would function as a map switch. It either bridges the 2 wires together in one position or it doesn't for low power.

You say you don't have the lower half of the airbox ? And just a cloth over the round air inlet horn. I wouldn't even ride it until you find a used airbox.
    I've seen the entire airboxes for sale that are used on eBay many times. These bikes get broken down and sold for parts quite often.
    There's a member on the Facebook "BMW G450" page by the user name of "JR Honda" that is stripping his bike for parts right now because he can't find a stator and flywheel which is no longer being made and there is none on the shelves pretty much world wide. He has given up and is parting the bike out, people are inquiring and making offers on the parts they want right now as we speak.
    His posted ad shows up from being posted on Sept. 18th 2021
    There are 2- Facebook G450 pages. 1 is "BMW G450X" I'm talking about here and the other is BMW g450x so you don't get them mixed up.

Here's a picture below of the side of the bike showing a few of the different plugs on the wire harness that have been circled in red and numbered. The power up plug mentioned several times already is circled #4 in the picture.

So maybe now you can see where abouts it might actually be on your bike. As you can see in the picture its hanging downwards, since it's fairly long as you can see. It may be pointed towards another direction on your bike. It could very well be pushed up or back or zip tied against the frame or taped off out of the way along the length of harness some where close by. It can't be too far away from this area. Look at it closely.
    The white piece that you can just see inserted into the black plug is the factory block off blank plug. The actual power up plug has a loop of wire on its end of the inserted section that stabs into the black plug.

The other 2 pictures are my own bike with the side panels removed so you can get a look at the airbox and you can see the flat foam filter in between the upper and lower halves in the picture.

Name:	image_preview.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	374463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_20180218_125755_resized.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	374465   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail_20180218_125827_resized.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	247.0 KB 
ID:	374467  

Real Name
    Thats It
    10-23-23
    Perfect! Thanks again Tim....

Gotta buy you a beer one day eh?
    BrrrappGone 

Real Name
    Thats It
    10-23-23
    Just a note here....I have been asked about my description of the 'Coded Plug' … as I noted I am green as hell mechanically...But I did not make this up.

The reason this thread is called 'Coded Plug' is that on page 50 of the BMW Manual it refers to what we are discussing (and I am learning) as ' A Coded Plug'

Cheers
    BrrrappGone 

Real Name
    Juha
    11-21-22
    Motorcycle
    '95 RF900R
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Motorcycle
    '97 R1100GS
    Motorcycle
    '00 TT-R90E
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200GS ADV
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Poetker View Post
    Just a note here....I have been asked about my description of the 'Coded Plug' … as I noted I am green as hell mechanically...But I did not make this up.

The reason this thread is called 'Coded Plug' is that on page 50 of the BMW Manual it refers to what we are discussing (and I am learning) as ' A Coded Plug'

Cheers
    BMW likes to call it something fancy, even though it is just a loop

Real Name
    Tim
    02-29-24
    Motorcycle
    '11 FE570
    Motorcycle
    '15 FE 501
    Motorcycle
    '77 Mc400
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Yah, they needed to give it a fancy name when the charged about $50.00 or more for a simple loop of wire with a 2 pronged male plug attached.

Real Name
    Campbell
    10-04-23
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Marketing

Real Name
    Juha
    11-21-22
    Motorcycle
    '95 RF900R
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Motorcycle
    '97 R1100GS
    Motorcycle
    '00 TT-R90E
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200GS ADV
    I actually have one extra "coded plug" but you can probably order one quite cheap from BMW dealer, I think it is something like 25 euros.

Real Name
    Thats It
    10-23-23
    Thanks for all the input!

Turns out my 'coded plug' was actually connected to a power commander module (floating around unfastened) under seat.

So now I have it properly fastened, and can stop waking up in the middle of the night looking for the elusive 'Coded Plug' lol
    BrrrappGone 

Real Name
    Tim
    02-29-24
    Motorcycle
    '11 FE570
    Motorcycle
    '15 FE 501
    Motorcycle
    '77 Mc400
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    The "coded plug" Power Up receptacle in the bikes wire harness does not plug into a Power Commander module if one is installed on the bike.
    It may be that it was or is connected to a hidden toggle switch that will switch between the Power Commander "Piggy Back tuner" systems Map.
    Or it switches the other way and the bike is then running the low power setting for getting good mileage per gallon of fuel.
    Does the bike still have the factory O2 sensor in the fitting on the headpipe to the right of the cylinder and if so is the wires for it still connected to the bikes wire harness. It would have to be to run it on low power settings correctly. The O2 sensor isn't needed for the factory high power settings or with use of a Power Commander unless it also has the Power Commander Autotune module as well.
    In which case a specific larger Wide band O2 sensor is fitted to a new larger weld bung welded to the headpipe. As in the picture I've included below. Its pointing straight up off of the headpipe vertically.

Name:	thumbnail_20180218_125822_resized.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	201.8 KB 
ID:	374653  

Real Name
    Campbell
    10-04-23
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Doug, the PCV is a piggy back system. It intercepts the fuel signal from the factory ECU and modifies it according to the fuel map loaded to the PCV and sends it onto the injector. As such the loom for the injector plugs into the PCV and the PCV loom plugs into the injector. The PCV requires the bike to be in sport/high power mode. Sport mode is open loop and utilizes the factory fuel map in the ECU with the O2 sensor disabled, this map is overly rich and substantial increases in both power and fuel economy can be had with a well written map on the PCV. These maps pull a substantial amount of fuel out in certain areas. I strongly suggest you do NOT utilize a switch to close the sport mode circuit, identified by Tim and others above, and that you unplug the O2 sensor. In low power mode the bike utilizes the O2 sensor in a closed loop system and runs a very lean air fuel ratio. If you run the bike in low power mode with the PCV it will pull more fuel out and you will be walking! If you wish to be able to switch between low and high power modes and utilize the PCV it can be done and I wrote a post a few years back covering this.

I assume you are running a aftermarket exhaust of some discription with this set-up?
    Campbell

Edit; Link to PCV thread http://g450riders.org/forum/showthre...?highlight=PCV Note the comments around the bikes requirement to cycle the ignition to change modes.

Doug the accelerator pump feature on the PCV is also worth looking at.
    Last edited by Campbell; 10-11-21 at 05:18 PM.

Real Name
    Thats It
    10-23-23
    Thanks Tim/Campbell.

Yes I am running a Yoshi exhaust and bike is in Sport mode.

Just got back from a week in the Caribou region of BC...(fairly high above sea level in comparison to the coast where I live) and found the bike running well.... but backfiring and grumbling more than usual.

We were riding quite hard through very rough/wet terrain (broke a lot of plastic lol) so I'm guessing probably the elevation difference and some H2o might have gotten in my gas? Missing Airbox cover mod for the trip worked fine and was clean and dry so no issues there. Got the used one this week so that will go on asap... I read that backfiring could cause damage so I'm looking into what's happening. Saw the clip of one backfiring and scaring the shit out of folks...that certainly isn't my style lol. So I will start with fresh gas/filters check if O2 sensor is hooked up.... and go from there....maybe she just missed home.

Im busy at work so my mechanic has the bike and is doing the work....lots of oil changes and top ups for these girls, I have heard (like my 4stroke outboard) and will follow the previous Tim (and others) posts regarding the Oil. Will get the recommended Husky magnetic cover thingy next round.

Thanks again guys...I am sure having fun on this bike...first fuel injected dirt bike.... so it has forced me to challenge myself, and become a better rider for sure....there's sure a LOT of throttle available... Im learning quickly when, and when NOT, to open er up.

Cheers
    BrrrappGone 

21. Thanks Campbell thanked for this post

Real Name
    Pascal
    3 Weeks Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 G450X
    If is not already done, removing the second butterfly can help to reduce the flame out : https://youtu.be/XfrJoNkt2HA

23. Thanks Tims1572, Campbell thanked for this post
    Likes Tims1572 liked this post

Real Name
    Campbell
    10-04-23
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    G'day Doug,
    Good to hear it's being put to good use.

Good move to sort out airbox before looking into the tune, use a filter for the Husky TE449. The reason for this is it's not just flat like the G450X but returns around the edges so the cage sits inside it. Just an improved design over our original.

Make sure you have good sealing of both the head pipe to cylinder and your Yoshi as any leaks can cause decel popping.

I saw another option re filter magnet the other day, essentially a neodymium magnet washer that goes on the end of the filter. Very neat and simple.

Pascal's suggestion is worth following up, had completely forgotten about that!

Once the basics are out of the way we could have a look at your mapping.

Edit; Motion Pro Part No. 11-0083
    Twin Air 158320N

Campbell
    Last edited by Campbell; 10-16-21 at 03:01 AM.

25. Thanks bello650 thanked for this post

Real Name
    Thats It
    10-23-23
    Will do.

Thanks eh!!
    BrrrappGone