Klim Carlsbad Suit - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

10-12-22
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    I recently bought the Klim Carlsbad 2 layer laminated suit. The main reason being with more touring on the horizon i want gear that will not wet out in wet weather (especially when camping) and will last for many years and trips to come.
    Whilst i had read reviews about laminated gear (usually 3 layer) being stiff, uncomfortable and quite cumbersome, i was elated when i tried on & fitted this gear. It's as light, if not lighter than a textile jacket and is nigh on just as flexible. Only sections with the zip covered vents are stiffer due to the material - the rest is very flexible.
    I also bought the Gloves, again to have a good weather proof Glove (although not lined) for mostly year round riding. My handguards & heated grips should help to keep me warm on longer journeys.

I've only ridden in coldish weather so far, and in fairly heavy rain for a short time period, so do not have extensive experience. But, my initial feedback is; the gear is warm and keeps out the windchill at this time of year. It is more comfortable than textiles (for me), mainly i think due to only having the outer material and no inners/extra lining to bulk it out or make it too warm.

As the Jacket has no liner i did buy a Rukka Windproof fleece jacket to go underneath. In the colder temperatures this has helped to maintain temperature/comfort further, whilst providing a good casual jacket too when off the Bike. It will also be used under my Mesh Summer jacket due to the Windproof membrane.

I'll update this thread as I use the Gear more & more in the Winter weather to come.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 62K Miles & counting 

2. Thanks MGD109, IanA thanked for this post
    Likes dan58 liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

10-12-22
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    A small update 3 months or so on. I've not ridden a great deal more in inclement weather, but have certainly ridden in some cold temperatures and wet roads.

The suit is still performing well, and feels a bit more pliable - like the material is breaking in. So the comfort is getting better and feels less rigid overall, aiding better movement on the Bike.
    The shell is fantastic at keeping out the windchill in this weather and helping to keep the Body warm. Even with the sleeves going over the cuff of Gloves the seal with the zip & velcro cuff is 'leak free', with no chilly breeze going up the arms.
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 62K Miles & counting 

10-12-22
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    I'm now about 6 months into the ownership of this, and thought i'd give a better update.

I've ridden in it in cold temperatures, and also wet weather. And it has performed flawlessly. I've not got cold, felt damp or anything close to the exterior conditions of the suit. It's keeps the cold out nicely, and i feel no gaps or breezes entering the suit & in the rain it sheds it off with ease and agin i feel no cold. This is even with wearing under cuff gloves with the sleeve creating a perfect seal around them to prevent any air/water ingress.

Hot weather; it's been pretty warm the past week (well it is for the UK in March/April, hitting 20 C) or 2 and even though the suit has not felt warm, i've opened up the vents for some air flow. The arm vents allow a nice flow of air up the arms to the chest, and the chest vent (it's fully open, its more like a napoleon pocket) allows a nice gentle cool breeze in. The open collar which pins back to the chest is a great way to let hot air out and cooling air to flow. It feels like it will be a good summer jacket when the mercury really starts to climb.

Still very pleased with it overall and my Bike tours for the year start next week - which will be a better test for them across multiple long days.