Paying to unlock features that are already in your motorcycle - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    Revzilla has published an article that discusses Zero's (and other brands) latest Tesla-like upgrades that the owner needs to pay for in order to unlock features that are already installed in their 2022 models. BMW and KTM are also mentioned as going down this path. They say there are pros and cons to this idea. Here is a link to the article: https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...n-motorcycling
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Lyle
    06-13-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    I've often wondered abought the 750/850 ECU and what's really different between the two engines,,. In fact, a lot of folks might be interested in the 750 if it had the 95 HP set up,,. They changed the bike but the HP remains the same,,. The bigger 850 is nice however lot of potential buyers don't like the top heavy weight and higher seat height?

Crazy,,!!
    Zero SR/F "Strangely, heated grips could be added for $195 without a trip to the dealer, which means they’re including non-activated heating elements in base-model bikes."

Kind of reminds me of BMW's BS with there maintenance resets,,. There basically forcing you into there shops just to do a light reset when the bike is owner maintained other wise you have an issue with a service warning every 10 K,?
    One reason I will switch away from BMW,,. I don't mind paying good money for service but I have an adversity to feeling like I've just gotten my pocket picked when I'm doing it,,!!

Companies that do this aren't beyond building in obsolescent parts that need to be replaced at shorter intervals to sell Maintenance and Parts,,,!!

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    The thrust rating for commercial airplane engines is controlled by computer programming. You want a 70,000 lb of thrust...you pay $XXX. You want 90,000 lbs of thrust, you pay $XXX plus YY. It's the same engine, just different software.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

09-14-22
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Overall, I think it's a great idea. Especially for the folks that can't plunk down all the cash for those features at the initial purchase of the bike. Save for a year and then pay and turn on the heated grips and longer range, save for another year and then turn on more HP and so on. All these added features without the pain and cost of removing factory parts, adding new parts, rewiring and so on. Though for those folks that are interested in the base model only and never plan to buy any features, I'd imagine the base cost would increase for those buyers. But since most riders do add farkles down the road, I think the majority of riders would be happy with this situation.

Real Name
    Richard
    10-12-22
    Quote Originally Posted by chupa88 View Post
    Overall, I think it's a great idea. Especially for the folks that can't plunk down all the cash for those features at the initial purchase of the bike. Save for a year and then pay and turn on the heated grips and longer range, save for another year and then turn on more HP and so on. All these added features without the pain and cost of removing factory parts, adding new parts, rewiring and so on. Though for those folks that are interested in the base model only and never plan to buy any features, I'd imagine the base cost would increase for those buyers. But since most riders do add farkles down the road, I think the majority of riders would be happy with this situation.
    You might find the comments by this fellow interesting. He has owned several Zeros in the past and now owns an Energica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS5Df4UBMsM
    Richard - Current bikes: 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior. 

09-14-22
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Thanks for the link. Seems like his biggest gripe is the cost of Zero's price structure and not necessarily the idea of paying to unlock new capabilities. Though I do agree that I don't see an electric motorcycle in my garage anytime soon. The costs is still way too much for what I would spend for a bike. For those who would complain that they're riding a bike with all these untapped features that's already there, it seems like a perspective mentality, glass half full or half empty.

Real Name
    James Sadilek
    11-16-23
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '72 R60/5
    The cost to manufacture only one model with no options and all the upgrade components in place but not activated may be less than the cost of making and holding in inventory several different models of the same basic machine. Or at least the cost must be close enough to be offset by those buyers who decide to activate existing options. Simplifying the manufacturing process may be the main goal.

10. Likes red fox liked this post

Real Name
    Lyle
    06-13-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Quote Originally Posted by ccwatchmaker View Post
    The cost to manufacture only one model with no options and all the upgrade components in place but not activated may be less than the cost of making and holding in inventory several different models of the same basic machine. Or at least the cost must be close enough to be offset by those buyers who decide to activate existing options. Simplifying the manufacturing process may be the main goal.
    Big cost savings,,. Not only the manufacturing, but also marketing, inventory management, product turn over is a whole lot easier,,. Look at Triumph as an example, they just came out with a new Gen 4 1200 Tiger,,,5 different models with 3 different colors in each at a time when the dealers are on strict allocation, they may only get 2 or 3 units all season,,,. Makes it kindah tuff,,. Zero comes along and they have one upgradeable model in two different colors, makes it easy to supply and turn over at model end of cycle where as Triumph will have all these unpopular models still sitting around when the update comes out, The Gen 3 is has been highly discounted,,.

You can well bet the Gen 4 1200.s Triumph's will have the exact same LCD's & electronics, just programed differently to provide a variety of features depending on the model,,.

12. Likes ccwatchmaker liked this post
    notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

10-07-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    I asked a friend, head mechanic at a dealer, about upgrading the software on my 750 to the 850 and I was told the VIN number regulates what gets down loaded.
    I'm happy with the power the 750 has so i won't be jonesing for an upgrade.

Real Name
    Lyle
    06-13-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F700GS
    Quote Originally Posted by notacop View Post
    I asked a friend, head mechanic at a dealer, about upgrading the software on my 750 to the 850 and I was told the VIN number regulates what gets down loaded.
    I'm happy with the power the 750 has so i won't be jonesing for an upgrade.
    I'm sure the power is fine but if there was an uncompromising way to steal that 20HP back from BMW, it would be well worth it just for the story,,. For a road version it probable already out performs the 850 on corners, asphalt and low speed maneuverability,,. Triumph did the same thing, they brought out the Tiger 850 sport with the identical motor as the Tiger 900 and said it was 10 HP less but there's a road test where they dynode it and it was only 3 HP and the torques came on lower so the riders couldn't really tell the difference,,. Great value bike, same with the 750GS,,!!

09-28-23
    It's a good idea to earn more and more. Every idea has pros and cons! they will sort them out soon.

10-12-22
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800 ST
    This has been a thought in the Car world for a while. However, the issue for a Manufacturer is what if they install all of the gubbins in every model and no one pays for it . . . . they are then at a loss/a much reduced profit margin.

When cars did not have many features as standard this would be an advantage/solution for those who want to add them as they go. However, these days so many cars come with a decent level of equipment as standard - if you want more you buy the model above . . . or if buying 2nd hand you search for the model with the features you want.

And on a Bike what do you really need to add from factory, which you can't get aftermarket?
    BMW F800ST, 2010, Black, Fuzeblock, Sat Nav, BMW Tank Bag, Givi Touring Screen, Denali Spotlights, Denali CANSmart, Wunderlich Crash Bars, 62K Miles & counting 

17. Likes Richard230 liked this post

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ123 View Post
    And on a Bike what do you really need to add from factory, which you can't get aftermarket?
    It's probably hard to find a "basic" BMW, although the initial F900XR showed up in our area as only a stripped down model.

A quick look at the options list, would give you an idea of the things you could only get through the manufacturer. There's a "Select Package" that has Ride Modes Pro, Dynamic Traction Control, MSR Dynamic Engine Brake Control and ABS Pro. The "Premium Package" has that plus Headlight Pro, Adaptive Headlight and Dynamic ESA. Probably some or all of those two packages could be software activated.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6