Tire Change Video (F800GS) - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Greg
    06-28-11
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    My first video. Be gentle.

This is to demonstrate you can change a tire (or repair a puncture) while on the road with no special tools.

Last edited by maddaddy; 08-08-10 at 10:05 AM.

2 ride the world. (help support my friends, buy a calendar!)
    ATGATT, Greg 

2. Thanks DWS, lmclamore, Dano thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Southern Germany AlanI is offline Volunteer Moderator - Recreational Vehicles

Real Name
    InalA
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Very nice Greg. I wonder would the site administrator consider creating a Video thread, make it sticky and place all the videos posted into that thread. Very useful videos such as Gregs can easily get lost/forgotten about as they slowly slip down the list.

06-23-13
    I wish it was that easy when I was trying to break the bead on my rear battlewing. There was no way that I could break it with such a small amout of force, I eventually figured out that I needed to leave the centre stand in one spot on the tyre for up to 30 seconds before it would break, that was with the bike over on its side as far as it could go. Move the trye around and repeat the process. I have an anakee now so hope it will be easier.

As for using the tyre irons, Im not totally precious about my bike but I would hate to see those rims after you have finished with them Greg, they must look worse for wear, each to their own though.

In no way am I knocking your video Greg, its interesting to see how other people do things, whether that is the way I would do it or not. Great video, thanks. Grant

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Lars
    06-28-14
    Motorcycle
    '10 F650GS (Twin)
    Great video Greg. Thanks so much for going through the trouble.

Real Name
    Brendan
    08-18-20
    Motorcycle
    '09 F650GS (Twin)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanI View Post
    Very nice Greg. I wonder would the site administrator consider creating a Video thread, make it sticky and place all the videos posted into that thread. Very useful videos such as Gregs can easily get lost/forgotten about as they slowly slip down the list.
    Done, and done.
    Brendan 

Real Name
    Greg
    06-28-11
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by fiwi View Post
    I wish it was that easy when I was trying to break the bead on my rear battlewing. There was no way that I could break it with such a small amout of force, I eventually figured out that I needed to leave the centre stand in one spot on the tyre for up to 30 seconds before it would break, that was with the bike over on its side as far as it could go. Move the trye around and repeat the process. I have an anakee now so hope it will be easier.

As for using the tyre irons, Im not totally precious about my bike but I would hate to see those rims after you have finished with them Greg, they must look worse for wear, each to their own though.

In no way am I knocking your video Greg, its interesting to see how other people do things, whether that is the way I would do it or not. Great video, thanks. Grant
    Street tires always tend to be a little bit tighter than knobbies. Even the Anakee's with be tough.

ATGATT, Greg 

02-27-16
    Great !!!
    Mess with the best, die like the rest. 

Real Name
    David
    09-17-12
    No question on the GS. But not a good idea for the ST.
    I mean, that's part of the reason for having a GS.
    dc

Real Name
    Paul
    09-10-12
    Motorcycle
    '06 R1150R
    Motorcycle
    '03 R1100S
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Nice video Greg. I wish I had that when I first started changing my own tires.

Now I change my tires quite regularly using the same method but have discovered a few things along the way that may help others, if I may.

1) Instead of WD40 for lubricant, I carry a small tube of dish soap. It does not evaporate off the tire as quickly as WD40, it works really well for locating a hole in the tube when mixed with water and is readily available.

2) Not sure about the TKC80 but many tires have a valve location dot on the sidewall indicating the "light" side of the tire. The valve stem should be positioned next to it to assist in balance.

3) To help avoid tube pinches, I always keep a few psi of air in the tube while working the tire back on. This helps avoid the tube from getting under the tip of the iron.

4) I replaced my plastic valve stem caps with metal ones that have an integral core removal device on the end. One less tool to carry (or lose) and they are available at Walmart for about 50 cents. Like these but way cheaper at Walmart.

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Equi..._stem_cap1.htm

5) For those who are picky about rim scratches, instead of using plastic rim protectors, cutting up an old pair of leather gloves ( like ropers ) does the job with much less bulk.

You gonna do the front tire balancing act next?
    F800GS 

13. Thanks maddaddy thanked for this post
    Real Name
    Greg
    06-28-11
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
    Nice video Greg. I wish I had that when I first started changing my own tires.

Now I change my tires quite regularly using the same method but have discovered a few things along the way that may help others, if I may.

1) Instead of WD40 for lubricant, I carry a small tube of dish soap. It does not evaporate off the tire as quickly as WD40, it works really well for locating a hole in the tube when mixed with water and is readily available.

2) Not sure about the TKC80 but many tires have a valve location dot on the sidewall indicating the "light" side of the tire. The valve stem should be positioned next to it to assist in balance.

3) To help avoid tube pinches, I always keep a few psi of air in the tube while working the tire back on. This helps avoid the tube from getting under the tip of the iron.

4) I replaced my plastic valve stem caps with metal ones that have an integral core removal device on the end. One less tool to carry (or lose) and they are available at Walmart for about 50 cents. Like these but way cheaper at Walmart.

http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Equi..._stem_cap1.htm

5) For those who are picky about rim scratches, instead of using plastic rim protectors, cutting up an old pair of leather gloves ( like ropers ) does the job with much less bulk.

You gonna do the front tire balancing act next?
    Great feed back on all points!
    I like multi-taskers. KY is another great lubricant for getting those tires off.

The TKC's don't have a valve point marker and balancing is not all that neccessary.

ATGATT, Greg 

15. Thanks soph9 thanked for this post

Real Name
    Leslie
    02-08-18
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    great video I have saved it to my favs on the Tube for our next ride!