Made it - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

02-04-15
    Last edited by bicyclist; 05-23-13 at 02:10 PM.
    George

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

01-04-13
    Thanks for checking in, and big thanks to Rob and Bill for putting on a splendid rally. The site was well-chosen to be in the best riding area in the country, and the lush scenery and challenging weather made it an even better reward. Good going!

Dan S.
    Cocoa, FL

Real Name
    Bob
    10-18-12
    Home safe. Good ride except for the 20 mi of ICE FOG on Cherohala.
    Thanks to Rob for a great rally and to all who made the trip.
    You home yet Chris?

Bob
    07 BMW F800S
    08 YAMAHA WR250X
    htttp://mbob.posterous.com 

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mark B.
    08-16-18
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Home after 11 and an half hours. No rain, never above 53 degrees (F). Traffic was way worse then on the way down on Thursday -- I-80 in Indiana and south of Chicago was packed. Had to take a half hour hot shower to get rid of the shakes. What a great weekend -- definitely worth the ride.
    Mark 

Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Only 2.5 hours and 107.5 miles for me. Sweet ride. My rally weekend rides documented in detail in it's own post here:
    https://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51109
    Only one who can see the invisible can do the impossible.

2009 Champagne F800ST, non-ABS, OBC, HHG, CS, Zumo450, Givi E260N tail trunk. 

Real Name
    Rob Werksman
    08-01-18
    Motorcycle
    '90 K1
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Home here too. 11 hours of mostly rain.
    Forum Owner Emeritus

Rob Werksman - Owner, Motorcycle Insight, LLC
    F800 Depot | S1000RR Depot | Adventure Motorcycle Depot | Twalcom USA
    North American Importer - Globescout, Twalcom, Wild@Heart, Hornig, AC Schnitzer (Motorcycle) 

9. Thanks Roadpizza thanked for this post

Real Name
    Gerry
    10-10-22
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    Made home also around 10pm. I wound up doing the return trip in one day. Just under 14 hours (with stops) and likely close to the 787 mi down (too tired to do the math tonight) Rode back with Chris (through Virginia) and Paul (through eastern PA). Great to have some folks to ride home with.

True to my destiny, I hit rain the last 20 minutes - and we also hit a bit in VA.

I enjoyed the rally a lot. Great location and a group of folks.
    Last edited by TheMeteor; 10-04-10 at 07:44 AM. Reason: confusion :-)
    2009 F800ST (Night Blue Metallic) l 1999 SV650 (Naked & Red) l
    l 2012 G650 GS Sertao l 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S (Mrs. Meteor's...) 

Real Name
    Paul
    09-10-12
    Motorcycle
    '06 R1150R
    Motorcycle
    '03 R1100S
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Made it as far as Allentown PA with Gerry & Chris and now I am in striking distance of Montreal, then eventually Toronto. Was pretty chilly at 3000 ft NW of Asheville but a good day.

Great meeting you guys!
    F800GS 

Real Name
    Lesley
    01-17-20
    Motorcycle
    '10 F650GS (Twin)
    Rode to Roanoke yesterday, all slab, good weather. It's raining this AM, but only have 120 miles on the Parkway to our campsite.

Don and I both thank Rob for a great rally and everyone else for good company!
    Lesley - The rider on the Graphite F800GT or the Blue Spyder Limited RT with the pink helmet in Maryland 

Woodbridge, Virgina zcool is offline F800Riders.org Supporter
    Real Name
    Micah
    08-20-14
    Made it home yesterday around 1800. Now I know how exactly how water resistant my jacket is not. Thankfully my rain jacket is 100%. That's the last time I just see how far I can get before it actually rains.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM 

Real Name
    Chris
    07-08-12
    I made it home around 14:30 yesterday. Went through Cherohala with mbob. 37 degrees and foggy at the top!

Atlanta, GA, USA. donm is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Don
    05-18-22
    Motorcycle
    '07 G650X Challenge
    Motorcycle
    '02 KLR650
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '84 R100RS
    Great rally, great location and great comrades in attendance! Easy ride home to Atlanta just cloudy and cool until Dahlonega. Stopped in at a motorcycle shop called Rider's Hill and had a new Pilot Road 2 front tire mounted while having a late lunch. I'm glad to hear that those traveling to/thru New England avoided rain to a great extent.

Looking forward to next year!

Don M
    Don M

It ain't broke yet, but I can fix that!

Let me improve it until it's inoperative! 

06-30-17
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    We rode 2-up Sunday on the Cherohala Skyway, then backtracked onto the Blue Ridge Parkway, where we hit 36F with near zero visibility due to fog. It was 52F and clear as a bell when we exited 74/23 to get onto the Parkway, so we got caught unawares. Ended up spending the night in Brevard, NC, after taking Route 215 down off the Parkway - what a GREAT twisty road! Newly paved, had it to ourselves.....

Nice Holiday Inn room and pizza delivered and a hot shower and a few vodkas and all was well, went through Caesar Head National Park on the way back to Charlotte today and it also was fabulously twisty, ran into 3 juvenile Bambi's in our lane but no problem, beautiful day, sunshine, no rain, got home today (Monday) around 5:00.

Yathin/Desirider, I got your t-shirt for you and one for your wife, too, PM or email me for details and where to send.

Really enjoyed conversing with Bicyclist (George), who is Mr.-already-did-all-50-U.S. states-this-year-man. George, thanks for starting this thread. If you're ever in Charlotte.......same to you, Larry and Dan S.

bobby

17. Thanks DesiRider thanked for this post
    Real Name
    Chris
    07-04-11
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Made the trip home fine arriving @ 1pm yesterday..Rode through to Abingdon, Va. with Paul and Gerry which got alittle chilly on Sams Gap on I 26 then rain from Abingdon to Oakwood. Nice to meet new friends who all share a passion for riding....Great job to Rob and his crew.....
    The older I get.....The faster I was.....!!! 

Real Name
    Jessie Vaca
    04-02-12
    Motorcycle
    '11 R1200GS
    Motorcycle
    '07 F650GS (Single)
    There was a drizzle most if the way and it was a bit cold but I made it home in time to watch the Bears stink up the place. I'm now in Toluca Mexico!!
    See you all next year!

Real Name
    Yathin
    09-02-14
    It was a great rally in a fantastic location and best of all I got to meet very interesting people. I'm looking forward to doing this again next year.

Our ride home was safe and we got home on Monday evening. Our departure from Fontana Village was delayed thanks to me not wanting to pass up on biscuits and gravy for breakfast. In 20/20 hindsight, I should have taken up Gerry's offer to depart by 8:00 am and ride most of the way with him to NJ.

We finally got started by 9:30 am after saying goodbye to DonM. The ride up I-81N was uneventful and the weather was beautiful. We enjoyed it thoroughly. With a few breaks thrown in along the way, we had made it as far back as Stephens City by 9:30 pm that evening. The plan was to ride further till we got to Harrisburg, PA and take a break for the night.

This noble intention, however, was scuttled by the rain. Having survived a through drenching on the way down, I didn't much care for a repeat experience at 10:00 pm. We pulled off and found a Comfort Inn just off 81.

After a good night's sleep and wallowing in a bit of misery for having the awesome weekend end so quickly, I decided to drown my sorrows by watching a movie on HBO in the hotel room. Second mistake...instead of HBO, I should have peeked at the weather channel.....contrary to the beautiful day we were experiencing in Stephens City, boatloads of rain was predicted for late afternoon around our parts of PA!

We saddled up and rode for about 45 minutes when the rain began around Harrisburg. It didn't let up till we got home around 5:30 pm on Monday. We reached home safe; cold, wet, shivering and commiserating with chickens that have been blast frozen. Radhika and I set a new record for jumping out of dripping wet motorcycle gear to head straight for long hot showers

All in all, in spite of two very cold rain baptisms, this rally was the best riding experience of the year and both of us look forward to future meets.
    2008 Graphitan ST, ABS, Heated Grips, Computer, TPS, Standard suspension, Low seat, White Lights, K&N Air Filter, Skidmarx Double Bubble Screen - Light Smoke, OEM Panniers.

Atlanta, GA, USA. donm is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Don
    05-18-22
    Motorcycle
    '07 G650X Challenge
    Motorcycle
    '02 KLR650
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '84 R100RS
    Ah! Worried where you two where. Glad you are home and warm but what a transit you had both ways. I, and several others, are jealous of your passenger, Radhika, what a trooper she is! If you find yourselves in Atlanta, lets me know beforehand and we will have a reunion. Hope to see you and everyone else in 2011.

Don M

PS - You two got the best photo coverage from Bicyclist's coverage!
    Don M

It ain't broke yet, but I can fix that!

Let me improve it until it's inoperative! 

22. Thanks DesiRider thanked for this post
    Real Name
    Judy
    04-26-13
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800ST
    Took the long way over and around , couldn't decide which border crossing to take, it rained and rained , cool temps too. I was lucky enough to survive as I discovered what a wobble feels like at 65 miles an hour when the back tire spins over '''dam white stripes"" slippery little devils. Here I was nervous about the transport tires blowin off in the blinding spray.
    Wish all riders well, speedy recovery to Bob, it was a pleasure to meet with you all.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bicyclist View Post
    home alive. 609 miles, 9 ½ hours. Only about an hour of rain. Had a great time.

Let us know when you get home safe.