US BMW F800R Dealers and seat height options. What to do? - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

04-01-20
    I recently (March 2, 2011) purchased a new BMW F800R from a dealer in Southern California. I wanted the lower seat option that is advertised as available at no additional cost. Well the dealer couldn't find one or did not have it.

So when I inquired again before I purchased the bike this is the response I got.

"I did find the info on the low seat, drops the seat height one inch…cost is 347.95….takes about a week-ten days to acquire one. Please advise."

So I made due with the regular height seat but the low seat is what I wanted and would be best.

I ask BMW, how do I get the seat I wanted in the first place? You offer it at no cost but the dealer doesn't have it so the dealer is suggesting I pay for it?

What would you do if you were me? You can contact me directly.

christopher1013@gmail.com

2. Likes Moosly liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Arne
    07-12-12
    Motorcycle
    '11 GSX1250FA
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800R
    I believe this is a no cost option when ordering the bike from the factory. If you bought a bike off the showroom floor and didn't want the seat the bike originally came with then the dealer would have to buy a seat from BMW. Some dealers would swap for a like new original, some don't want a seat in stock.
    Silence is Golden but Duct Tape is Silver.
    2010 F800R - 2011 GSX1250FA 

Real Name
    Bart
    07-11-11
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    Quote Originally Posted by RadMan View Post
    I believe this is a no cost option when ordering the bike from the factory. If you bought a bike off the showroom floor and didn't want the seat the bike originally came with then the dealer would have to buy a seat from BMW. Some dealers would swap for a like new original, some don't want a seat in stock.
    That's what my dealer told me also...
    T

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Steve
    05-14-13
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    I bought my 2010GS off the showroom floor, I guess you could call it a demo, it had 60 miles on it before I took it for two 20 mile test spins. I rode it first with the reg. seat. Then put a low seat on and rode it. The way I understood it from the salesman is that you want to make Sure you have the seat you want, when you drive that bike home (buy it).

I think you need to get face to face with the salesman that sold you the bike, no e-mails. Plead your case! I think you should get a low seat, and give them back the reg. seat, I hope it works out for you Chris.

FYI - I picked the reg. seat, didn't matter! I'm getting a new one anyway!
    just ride'in around
    2010 f800gs

San Diego, CA SPX is offline F800Riders.org Supporter

Real Name
    Josh
    04-18-14
    Motorcycle
    '01 KZ-1000P
    Motorcycle
    '11 R1200RT
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Since you just acquired the bike two days ago, I'd go down to the dealer and plead your case directly to the salesman who sold you the bike. It's a new enough bike that if the dealership is at all customer service friendly, they should be able to get you the seat in exchange for the seat currently installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher1013 View Post
    I recently (March 2, 2011) purchased a new BMW F800R from a dealer in Southern California. I wanted the lower seat option that is advertised as available at no additional cost. Well the dealer couldn't find one or did not have it.

So when I inquired again before I purchased the bike this is the response I got.

"I did find the info on the low seat, drops the seat height one inch…cost is 347.95….takes about a week-ten days to acquire one. Please advise."

So I made due with the regular height seat but the low seat is what I wanted and would be best.

I ask BMW, how do I get the seat I wanted in the first place? You offer it at no cost but the dealer doesn't have it so the dealer is suggesting I pay for it?

What would you do if you were me? You can contact me directly.

christopher1013@gmail.com

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

10-07-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    Thicker soles on your riding boots might be an option. I had short friends years ago, men and women, that took that route. There were no seat choices then. One made do or bought an after market seat. You could also take it to an upholstery shop and have it worked over.

10. Likes thinker liked this post

Real Name
    Mike
    04-04-11
    My local dealer swaps the seats from new bike to new bike all the time, zero issues. Sorry for your frustration.

Real Name
    Trevor :-)
    09-06-21
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800GT
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800ST
    I'm short of leg and as there was no option when I bought I've got use to a full height seat, they are a LOT more comfortable (borrowed a low seat version made my knees hurt). Remember you spend more time with you feet on the foot pegs than the ground. Now my bike is four years old the seat is lower by about 1" as the padding has compressed. I'm just very careful about where I stop and have noticed I sit slightly to the right of the saddle (my Police IAM instructor spotted this) as I put my right foot down flat when I stop. My left foot cannot reach the ground when my right is flat. With both feet down I'm on the balls of my feet.
    What's it like to bike around NZ? https://picasaweb.google.com/1043074...59485/BikeTrip 

07-14-19
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800ST
    In addition to the "lower" seat, you can change your suspension to reduce the seat height by a further inch. Both HyperPro, ElKa offer the suspension conversion. HyperPro is the cheaper using the stock suspension changing the internals while Elka is a complete rear replacement (front suspension adjusted to compensate). Me? I'm getting Elka installed by my dealer as soon as this SNOW goes away.

01-30-16
    Had the same problem except I wanted the taller seat. My dealer only had one on the floor which was not the color I wanted, he did a search and found just what I wanted and brought it in. I didn't think about the seat until I sat on mine the first time, then I realized it was too low. Both the bike he brought in and the one on the floor had the regular seats so there was no swap available. He did check with other dealers seeing if anyone would swap the regular for the tall but it came out that almost all of the bikes on dealer floors were regular seats. I decided to live with it and swap out the OEM susp with Olins instead.

Real Name
    Rob Stevens
    07-12-21
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800R
    Old thread I know but. The dealer I got my used (2010) bike from, swapped the seat from another machine on the showroom floor. No charge. No probs.

Real Name
    Alex
    05-20-13
    Motorcycle
    '07 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800R
    Yup it's a no cost option on a 'New bike' you simply pick it along with all the other toys and goodies in the catalogue. It's the ONLY no cost option mind, everything else is mentally expensive. I checked the options list the previous owner spent on my bike the base price went from £7K to £9600, forgot to thank him
    The more I know about people, the more I love my bike!

'09 F800R Fire Orange, and Ford all the way for four wheels