K1300S: my first impressions (long and boring... what else could you expect?) - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    the flying bricks production started with the wonderful K1, the typical engine with the horizontal four cylinders was called in italy “motore a sogliola” (sole fish engine) for its atypical structure. when BMW made the next generation of four cylinders engine many of us, used to see and appreciate the old “motore a sogliola”, cried to the shame: too “japanese” for BMW standard, not a true “flying brick”! but after a couple of years we all had to admit that this was a “true” BMW engine and we started to like the new K models. the 1300 cc engine was a further step and “correct” the 1200: more powerful and smoother power output.
    I bought a K1300S last christmas, this is my “first look” of this bike that now I have ridden for about 1,000 km.
    big bike! I mean if you compare the F800S, my previous (and beloved!) bike with the K1300S the first thing you notice is that it is bigger and heavier a lot. but I’m used to ride heavy bikes, and I always said that if the F800S should be heavier (30 kg more) and more powerful (30 hp more), it would be “perfect”: 50 kg and 90 hp more than the F800S are much more than perfect, are simply... exaggerated! and it’s wonderful for me!
    yes, the bike weighs over 250 kg (I think that with panniers and some accessories it should reach the threshold of 270 kg), but it’s quite easy to maneuver. you feel the weight only at the moment you move the bike but once it’s moving it’s easy to handle, as the F800, maybe easier: the weights balancing is excellent (e.g. you can lift the K1300S on the center stand with less effort than the F800), because the engine is positioned very low. but the dimension needs, for those who are not used, a period of training.
    but the surprise is when you put the first gear and go on... it’s “your bike”! like you ride it since a very long time, not just... a couple of seconds. I had the same feeling only with my previous R1100RS, I mean... I felt the F800S as “my bike”, but not so... immediately.
    my bike is full optional, it came with ABS and ASC, both device can be shut off (I have not tried still... but I will do it, sometime, just to know the behavior of the bike in that setting) and the work very fine: the power output is perfectly managed by the ASC and the ABS intervention is very smooth, never aggressive. actually the light of the ASC was on only one time and I wasn’t too fast, but getting out of a curve opening the throttle (do not forget that there are 175 hp under you bum, even if you are not fast, the power is always very much) I found a terrible tarmac and the light flicked. I think (but I’m not sure) that the ASC acts on two levels: one is a light constant adjustment of the power output to avoid a strange behavior (I’ve ridden this bike with no problem also on a road fully covered of sand!), the second level is when the system cut brutally the power... forget the wheeling with the ASC on!
    also the electric-assisted shifter is a great thing. we all know how it works but when you try it the first impression is that you are on a video-game because if you don’t turn off the throttle and you do not use the clutch the progression is incredible... amazing! and it’ also good for my diabetic foot, in this bike I do not need the balancer shifter I made for the F800S, the K1300S has a gear shifter that works really good. never miss a gear and the neutral is easy to reach at any time.
    if anyone of you has a K or a R model with the ESA II knows how it works: you will never need to set the suspension: the system does it much better than you can do. “comf” setting is very good for our city roads, “norm” is a good setting for a light weight rider (as me) on highway and “sport” setting is perfect when you push your bike to a limit that actually you will never reach!
    the front suspension is what I wanted on a bike: when many years ago I bought the R1100RS with the telelever I thought I would never bought another bike with a classic fork suspension and then... I bought the F800S (what a coherence!), but I missed the telelever. the new duolever is even better than the telelever: it’s “hard” but at the same time the shock is well calibrated, soft enough to grant a good comfort, but rigid when you need to lean the bike in a fast curve.
    perfection is not a human thing! as I said many times. and the human thing cannot be perfect. if the ABS of the K1300S, combined with the semi-integral brake system is a surplus of safety (you do not need to use the rear brake to balance the braking, when you pull the front brake lever the system balance the braking electronically) the brakes anyway show a limit, if you stress the front brake (e.g. in downhill), it becomes a little bit... “spongy”. it’s a bad sensation, but the brakes actually work always well, you just need to pull strongly the lever and it will be back... “normal”. the ABS system works very well and you realize of its intervention only by the fact that the lever and the pedal become a little bit harder to pull, but you don’t feel the typical “clack” of the ABS.
    now some words about the comfort: I’m about 60 kg and 5’7”, my body is quite well proportionate (just my brain must be too small, because there are too many things of humans that I don’t understand... and my belly, maybe is too big... but I like to eat and to drink...) and this bike fit me perfectly: my arms are well positioned, not stretched and not bent. my legs too. but this is a “personal” feeling, and everyone can say something different about.
    what else can I say... maybe that I’m very happy with my new bike, but yesterday I went to my BMW dealer and I saw my old F800S and... I felt a little sad! I would take it with me and have both bike parked at home, because I really loved that bike...
    then, the F800S let me to meet you, to have new friends and this is something really... “priceless”!
    thanks for the patience to read this long post... and sorry for my poor english, I hope that this writing isn’t too bad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k borgo schirò 31-12-11 c.jpg 
Views:	663 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	30048 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k borgo schirò 31-12-11 f.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	30049 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k borgo schirò 31-12-11 e.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	30050 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k borgo schirò 31-12-11 a.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	30051 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k borgo schirò 31-12-11 g.jpg 
Views:	579 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	30052
    "putenza du gibbiuni!" dissi u sceccu quannu vitti u mari... ("what a big pool!" said the donkey when has seen the sea...) 

2. Thanks F800STIG, Roadpizza, AlanI, Teep, mcmonkey mcbean and 2 others thanked for this post
    Likes Willy, pammmy, joewiecha, DWS, F800STIG and 1 others liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Phill
    05-30-16
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    Beautiful! Thanks verra much Guido! I'm just off to work and will have a quiet time to read this properly later on but I really like your nuanced and descriptive impressions... will comment later. Thanks

5. Likes guidoveloce liked this post

Real Name
    Glenn
    09-19-21
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    very through review and insightful from all the expertise with the 800S. 175 ponies is a huge jump.
    How are the handlebar controls? Easy to use? That exhaust looks huge.
    Thanks for all the insight. Enjoy Guido.

7. Thanks guidoveloce thanked for this post
    Likes pammmy liked this post
  8. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Philip
    07-06-20
    BMW F800S…….

There is no words to adequately describe the batshit crazies.... 

10. Likes guidoveloce liked this post

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    glenn, you hit the point! there's another thing I don't like very much of this bike: it's the turn indicator switch. now BMW uses the "standard" type of switch with only one selector (as the honda, kawasaki, ducati... etc.). well, once you get used to the old BMW switch it's quite difficult to find a selector positioned on the left side... the first week I was literally unable to use the turn indicator, but now I can do it easily, maybe for this reason I forgot to talk about it. the other switches are intuitive, the controls (clutch and brake levers the throttle) works very well: the levers are adjustable and the throttle run isn't too long, but not properly short, maybe more adjustable levers and a throttle with a run just a little bit shorter would be better but the standard handlebar (there is not a handlebar on this bike, but clips!) controls are good enough.
    the HP catalogue is full of items for the K1300S , there are adjustable levers and adjustable footrests (I'd like to buy the footrests but are very expensive and I think I need a couple of months to save the money to buy them ), various carbon parts, the akrapovic exhaust and the LCD instrument cluster, but most of these things are really too expensive to be just a... whim.
    "putenza du gibbiuni!" dissi u sceccu quannu vitti u mari... ("what a big pool!" said the donkey when has seen the sea...) 

12. Likes pammmy liked this post
    Real Name
    Phill
    05-30-16
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800ST
    I would lurrve to have this bike... Guido's analysis makes it even more tantalising.
    I know exactly where he's coming from with the 30kg/30hp comment about the F800. Better front suspension might solve some of the ST's skittishness without gaining extra lard & then the +30HP could really be put to good use!
    I've had a few brief rides on a K1200 and I gather the 1300 is even more sorted... front suspension and fuelling surges chief amongst but I'll have to go by my K1200 experience as being somewhat representative of the 1300? Even briefer experience on a Hayabusa but they are natural bikes to compare...
    In all objective measurements, the Busa is shorter, lighter, more powerful, forks less raked etc. It doesn't necessarily feel that way riding them. I felt more aware of the Busa's length when cornering. The Susuki's sharper turn in exaggerates the trailing wheelbase? 'They' say that the K1300 duolever has more feedback than the 1200, all can say is that if you get a 'cheek offa the seat', then the K bike feels like it's carving a radius with much more stability & assuredness than the Busa. My cousin owns both CBR & Busa, he sings the Suziki's praises from the rooftops... incessantly, but he was blown away by the K1200. He definitely gave it the thumbs up on handling.
    You sit on the Busa, you sit *in* the K bike! The riding positon even more comfortable than the F800. Is the seat on the K lower than the F800? Certainly feels that way, I seemed to be able to flat foot it easier... & the F800 feels like a supermotard by comparison.
    The K1200 doesn't 'feel' heavier than the Busa, all that weight must be tucked away low. I believe there were some 'surging' issues with the K1200... still, in line 4 has silky smooth power which makes our twins feel positively agricultural by comparison. Well, I could rabbit on endlessly about both bikes, all academic a.t.m due to my parlous financial state, which means the Busa might just possibly be slightly more than a pipe dream, alas the K1300 remains just that.
    Thanks again to Guido for allowing us some vicarious pleasure in sharing his visceral enjoyment of such a beautiful machine. Thanks mate!
    Last edited by F800STIG; 01-14-12 at 05:34 PM.

14. Likes pammmy, rbaxter336, richarde1605, IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    I think that at this moment the bikes that you can really compare with the K1300S are just the kawasaki ZZR1400 and the honda VFR1200, even if this one has a different type of engine: the K1300S take place in the middle between these two bikes, because the ZZR shows a more sporty (for its high, very high, performances... it has 200 hp!) attitude and the VFR a more touring attitude (with its high clips, large panniers a its great general comfort). I think that now the hayabusa is surpassed by these bikes.
    for this kind of bike the performances are actually... relatives. how many people you know who are really able to push a bike with 170/200 hp to its limit? I am not able, surely not without the electronic traction assistance (ASC).
    the smooth, silky, as you said, power output of the K1300S lets you run this bike at 60 kmh in 6th gear without any "tear", just open the throttle and go!
    I can't compare the K1200 duolever with the K1300's one just because my brief test ride on the 1200 was too much time ago and the one I've ridden had not the ESA II like my 1300.
    something certainly strange a lot is that, if you consider the measures of the K1300S, it should be a bike quite difficult to ride (heavy, long and with a poor turning radius), but it is very easy to ride... in a way simply "disarming": the first time you get on it you prepare yourself to face a titanic effort and then... you have just to take it easy.
    about the seat I can say that with the low saddle (780 mm, 1 cm lower than the F800's low saddle but 1 cm higher than the F800's extra-low seat: a good compromise for my legs!) I can reach the ground with my legs quite easily, with both feet planted well enough. I'm about 5'7", as I said, and the K1300S is larger a lot than the F800S, especially in the right bottom side, where it's easy to hit the clutch cover with the shin, but no matter to reach the ground.
    thanks to you for the interest you've shown.

16. Thanks F800STIG thanked for this post
    Likes pammmy liked this post
    Real Name
    Erin
    03-24-16
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200R
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    Quote Originally Posted by guidoveloce View Post
    thanks for the patience to read this long post... and sorry for my poor english, I hope that this writing isn’t too bad.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k borgo schirò 31-12-11 c.jpg 
Views:	663 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	30048 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k borgo schirò 31-12-11 f.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	91.3 KB 
ID:	30049 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k borgo schirò 31-12-11 e.jpg 
Views:	478 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	30050 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k borgo schirò 31-12-11 a.jpg 
Views:	452 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	30051 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	k borgo schirò 31-12-11 g.jpg 
Views:	579 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	30052
    When travelling in Europe some many years ago I always felt so useless at having not having another language learnt, unfortunately this is what happens when you don't have any bordering countries which speak a different language, I think it is awesome you can express and write/read in a second language...good on you.
    "An apple a day keeps the doctor away, but if the doctor is cute; screw the fruit" 

18. Thanks guidoveloce thanked for this post
    Likes F800STIG, IanA liked this post

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    erin, also the sicily has not bordering countries which speak different languages. I think that if you want to learn a foreign language you must go to that country. I can speak english because when I was seventeen I went to live in london and I lived there for more than one year... I dreamed in english at that time , and still now there are some words that I think in english and the corresponding italian words do not come to my mind... . I can also read and understand (if spoken slow) spanish and french, but I am not able to speak these languages. I always read a lot and I think this fact helped me very much in learning english.

20. Likes Roadpizza, IanA liked this post
    Southern Germany AlanI is offline Volunteer Moderator - Recreational Vehicles

Real Name
    InalA
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by guidoveloce View Post
    I think that if you want to learn a foreign language you must go to that country.
    How very true, Guido, especially to master the nuances present in a language - especially so English. Like you, I also lived in England for several years (studying) and whilst my English has improved as a result my mother tongue has slowly gone downhill.

22. Likes guidoveloce liked this post

Real Name
    Glenn
    09-19-21
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanI View Post
    How very true, Guido, especially to master the nuances present in a language - especially so English. Like you, I also lived in England for several years (studying) and whilst my English has improved as a result my mother tongue has slowly gone downhill.
    Today is day 5 for me in Haiti, with about 12 days of Pimsleur Haitian Creole training)$24)....being incountry gives you a lot of confidence when they understand you, but I think they are pitying me some as well.

I'm finding an abundance of folks here helping me telling what things are called, but I'm not picking it up quick enough to absorb their help very much.
    tre bon

24. Likes F800STIG liked this post

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    glenn, the first period in a foreign country is the most difficult, but after a couple of weeks you can start to understand some words and then you start to get confidence with the "new" language... but it's a slow process. be patient!

Southern Germany AlanI is offline Volunteer Moderator - Recreational Vehicles

Real Name
    InalA
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    A useful tip,Glenn, read the local newspapers and watch their TV - if only the news. The pictures help in giving you the gist of what is being said and to fill in the blanks.

27. Likes guidoveloce liked this post

Real Name
    Glenn
    09-19-21
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    thanks Guido/Alan. I've been home a week with no continued practice and fired up the language program this morning to get back to it and found it slightly lost, but quick to return. I was in a language fog learning what I did lessons 1-11, but then loved talking with folks as best I could. Now with a bit of a break, I want to finish the last 5 lessons

Real Name
    Rick
    05-24-13
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    I knew I should have bought the K1300S as soon as I sat on it, it reminded me right off the bat the feeling of finding the perfect pair of pants. It was the same color as yours too.
    The 800 is a fine bike and lets not forget the insurance! The 1300S has a more solid feel and overall and was my preference, alas I choose the ST and managing okay.
    Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, Harley Davidson, BMW 

30. Likes F800STIG, guidoveloce liked this post

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    now I live in my countryside house, here the path to home is very... devastated! even if I'm used to maneuver heavy bikes I have to admit that the K1300S is probably the most difficult bike to handle riding in a narrow path that I've ever had. with mud, stones and grass it's really easy to fall down. this is because of the riding position: it's very good riding on the street but when you leave the asphalt you feel all the weight of the bike under your hands... and the clip-ons don't help you! nothing is perfect!

32. Thanks AlanI thanked for this post

Real Name
    Rick
    05-24-13
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800ST
    Guido,
    Yeah I would not ever dare take the k1300s down the train tracks as I did on the R1100R - unless there was just no other choice. The bikes wiegh about the same, but the 1300s would come back battle scared for sure. I can relate to managing the 560 lbs off the street, and it wear you right out. Short throw - stiffer suspension, and gobs of power on the 1/4 turn throttle, make even a seasoned rider tire out fast, kinda like riding on wet grass with street tires. Basically, its no fun for me.
    Please be cautious.
    Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki, Harley Davidson, BMW 

34. Thanks guidoveloce thanked for this post
    07-23-12
    How do you find the k in heavy traffic. I have found it get really tiring really quickly.

New Website: www.promulgate.co.uk 

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20
    hi streety, the traffic in palermo is probably heavier than everywhere else, after a couple of minutes in the traffic the radiator fan starts to run, but this is not a problem, the temperature of the cooling liquid is always under the "red line". about the maneuverability... not easy, of course, and sometimes moment you desire to have a 250 not a 1300, but getting used to the weight and the large turning radius (too large for city traffic, above all on the right side corner) you can ride in the traffic without getting tired too much.

07-23-12
    The big K is NOT a city bike. But I didn't think the F800 was either. Would rather have a VAN VAN for something nippy for Palermo.

The K excels at the open road. Actually correction the K excels on busy road too. Its a doddle to overtake in any gear. I recon the hairpins of the Alps would be tiring after a while.

I find that I am way faster than any thing on the roads including most bikes. However a RC8 overtook me at fish hill on the corner last week. I was well banked over and he pissed past.

I suspect that talent and not horses.

New Website: www.promulgate.co.uk 

38. Likes F800STIG, guidoveloce, UnluckySaxon liked this post

Real Name
    Marcus
    12-02-15
    Motorcycle
    '09 K1300R
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800R
    Thanks for a wonderful read Guido. I enjoyed the level of detail and insight you have shared.
    My experience with the K bikes has been wonderful and I love both the F and the K bikes for the machines they are intended to be by design.

After 2 years on my K1300R I feel, for me at least, the difference between the F800R and the K1300R has boiled down to required inputs and the feedback that results from them.

The F800R is nimble, feels light, and is indeed something one " rides" in every sense of the word.
    The K1300R is solid, smooth, and is something one "flys" rather than rides. The feedback is there, it just presents differently than the F bikes do.

There are many interesting reasons for the bikes being different, much like people. My hat is off to the talented engineers who dreamed up these incredible machines so that we might have the opportunity to put that smile on our faces everytime we throw a leg over them and look to the road ahead.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts and ride well.

Marcus

Real Name
    John Albone
    03-04-22
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RS
    Motorcycle
    '10 K1300S
    I love my K1300S the perfect bike .Just waiting for my new Scorpion can to arrive .
    Last edited by stormbringer; 01-17-14 at 04:13 PM.
    John. BMW R1200RS SE Sport 2016. BMW K1300S.
    Waltham Forest College Dept. Of Motorcycle Engineering.
    BMW Owners Club Southern Section .England.

41. Likes guidoveloce, F800STIG liked this post

Real Name
    John Albone
    03-04-22
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RS
    Motorcycle
    '10 K1300S
    John. BMW R1200RS SE Sport 2016. BMW K1300S.
    Waltham Forest College Dept. Of Motorcycle Engineering.
    BMW Owners Club Southern Section .England.

43. Likes guidoveloce liked this post

Real Name
    Guido
    08-30-20

45. Likes Richard230 liked this post