G450x Aftermarket Fuel Pump?? - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Richard Armstrong
    08-28-20
    First time poster…..with a longshot. I am hoping for some help in locating either a OE or aftermarket fuel pump for my 09 g450x….BMW can’t supply me one for at least a month and it will cost around $750.00 (cough!!!)…I would buy it but I need the bike going well before they can supply me one.

I have scoured the internet but haven’t found anything, so any help would be appreciated.
    Cheers Rich.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Seb
    07-02-15
    HI, WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF HAD A MOTORCYCLE THAT NEED new pump?

Real Name
    Geoff
    03-13-16
    Motorcycle
    '03 R1150GS
    Motorcycle
    '10 G450X
    HI Richard,
    You must be the other G450 owner in Melb

Couple of thoughts come to mind...
    1) Have you tried a US supplier and having it shipped over? It would probably pay to setup a freight forwarder as a lot of US based suppliers either wont ship here or postage will kill you. Also BMWGA seems to have a policy of funding the superbike racing thru the sales of spares, I just looked up the price and it's about $315 on their list. Not sure on the lead times for the US suppliers, but if they have it shipping is usually quick!
    http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...1&rnd=04052012

2) I wonder if the TE449 pump would fit. The tank is similar (but not exactly the same). Not sure where the Husky dealers are from you, but it might be the go.
    EDIT... looking at the TE449 parts it appears the fuelpump almost exactly the same
    Code No: 8000 H3742 Desc: Fuel pump

3) On some of the other BMW bikes, people have modified the fuel pump for an external fuel filter, with most of the original parts just by passed. I wonder if it's possible to do something similar with the fuel pump on the 450???

5. Thanks mrfredsmith thanked for this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Richard Armstrong
    08-28-20
    Thanks Geoff, yep it’s me...the other Melb G450x owner. I’ve only just bought it so don’t get me confused with
    the guy I got it from..there is still only two of us…
    I looked online and didn’t find anything so thanks for that website.
    $315.00…sounds like a bargain at the moment…i’ll look them up along with the TE449 one, thanks for the
    idea on the Husky pump..brilliant.
    I’ll let you know how I go.

Cheers, Rich.

Real Name
    Geoff
    03-13-16
    Motorcycle
    '03 R1150GS
    Motorcycle
    '10 G450X
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfredsmith View Post
    Thanks Geoff, yep it’s me...the other Melb G450x owner. I’ve only just bought it so don’t get me confused with
    LOL!
    Still getting stopped by guys on the trails.. "wow a BMW, I've never seen one of those!"

Real Name
    Richard Armstrong
    08-28-20
    Hey Seb, there can be a few symptoms. Commonly they either don’t pump fuel at all (pump or switching fault) or pump but not to the correct pressure/volume
    as mine was...and was only found by fitting an inline external gauge…
    Mine held the correct pressure (around 40 psi) from idle then slowly tapered off towards the top end (under wide open throttle)
    to less than 5 psi….
    This test doesn’t take into account the fuel regulator which is part of the fuel pump assembly which could be faulty too??
    Cheers
    Rich.

Real Name
    Geoff
    03-13-16
    Motorcycle
    '03 R1150GS
    Motorcycle
    '10 G450X
    Another thought...
    Did you have a look at this comment (on advrider)
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=5015
    Could it be the relay, and not the pump failing?

11. Thanks mrfredsmith thanked for this post

Real Name
    Richard Armstrong
    08-28-20
    Don’t think it’s that….wrong symptoms in my case. That said,
    I will definately be carrying a spare relay or two with me!
    Along with a multimeter…lol
    PS Thanks heaps for the Maxbmw link. I’ve got a pump coming for 340.00 landed…half price
    and 3 weeks sooner
    I’m just hoping it gets here before next weekend so I can still do the Kenda rally

Real Name
    Geoff
    03-13-16
    Motorcycle
    '03 R1150GS
    Motorcycle
    '10 G450X
    Cool!
    Hopefully you will get to do the kenda... let us know how it pans out for ya!

14. Thanks mrfredsmith thanked for this post

Real Name
    Richard Armstrong
    08-28-20
    Cheers Geoff,
    and sorry for the late reply….I did the Kenda and had a ball. I ended up doing it on the old pump as the new one
    didn’t show up in time.
    It was a couple of days before the Kenda and I picked up the old pump and noticed how chalky the pump
    screen had become once it had dried right out….I had a thought that maybe it was as simple as a blocked screen so
    I hot wired it and flow checked it with and without the screen in place and it flowed nearly twice as much with the screen off…so I
    refitted the pump without it along with an inline filter between the pump and the throttle body, and it went as good as new.
    I have fitted the new pump now as I wasn’t happy with the old one missing the screen…i’ll keep it for a spare

So I did the ride…it all went great. Ended up doing both the loops and passed almost as many Blue and Orange bikes that had passed me lol.
    I’ll do it again next year if I can soften up my seat a bit hehehe

Thanks again mate, really appreciate the advice/Max BMW site info, it saved me a heap.

Rich

16. Thanks itsgunnahurt thanked for this post

Real Name
    Tim
    02-29-24
    Motorcycle
    '11 FE570
    Motorcycle
    '15 FE 501
    Motorcycle
    '77 Mc400
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Richard,
    Check out the tail end of all the posts on the aftermarket seats I started about 3 weeks back. You might be interested to see that I have been able to convince SpeedBrain to have some Custom seats made again from Blackbird racing. These have been out of production for sometime at Blackbird and Touratech whom also sold them. SpeedBrain lists them still but they are made to customer requirements only. I couldn't find out what the options if any were still available, but it will take 8 weeks instead of 4 weeks to get them. They are being done right now and I told them there may be other G450 owners interested in getting one from them so make a few extra. As far as I know these are being custom made by Blackbird for them but my german is not very good and the Lady I spoke with from Speedbrain"Anja Schnitzleins" English is just as bad. I can't wait to get this thing so my ass feels a bit better myself. These stock seats suck and there isn't a whole lot you can do to them. Except replace it and throw the old one out. Cost is 301.00 Euros

18. Likes mrfredsmith liked this post

06-19-22
    Quick question on this old topic.

Is it worth investigating the fuel pump to clean the integrated filter? (they usually do have a filter, but are not easy to get access too (at least on my Japanese bikes)

Thanks

Real Name
    Tim
    02-29-24
    Motorcycle
    '11 FE570
    Motorcycle
    '15 FE 501
    Motorcycle
    '77 Mc400
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    The pumps filter is attached vertically to the pump assembly.

As you say getting to it is the real job, which requires the entire tail end of the bikes subframe, fuel tank fender assembly, slip on muffler, etc. etc. to be removed to get at it.

I would recommend buying a new o-ring seal first from a BMW dealer before hand. It happens to be an odd size that isn't listed in many o-ring manufactures supply catalogs.

From my own experience swapping out my Speedbrain transparent tank that developed a dry rot crack and needs to be repaired. I swapped pumps from tank to tank to a stock black one I had,so I could put it back on the bike. On another occasion, replacing the entire pump assembly for another spare I had. I've tried other sized o-rings when re-fitting the pump assemblies back into the bottom of the tanks, I tried to source these o-ring substitutes in both metric and standard fractional sizes from the Grainger catalog, in the closest to matching the originals inside and outside diameter and gauge thickness to try to get my pumps to re-seal after removal and installation from either of my tanks. Trying each time to do this without using some messy sealant. It turns out that the factory o-ring is the only one that would seat correctly and seal with out using sealant on both of my fuel tanks.

The factory o-ring isn't that large of gauge thickness. The outside diameter seems much larger than you would expect. Anything larger or of thicker gauge diameter substituted for the factory o-ring size used will keep the base of the pump assembly from seating all the way down flat and can cause the bottom of the plastic tank to distort between the 5 bolts of the pentagon shaped base plate.
    Anything smaller will of course leak.
    My point is it didn't need any sealant on it when it was originally fitted, so using the proper size factory o-ring will seal without sealant the next time around.
    Maybe I'm just unlucky in doing this the few times that I did, of course I could have used a sealant to get it to not leak but using the correct o-ring and careful assembly works without resorting to using anything to help it seal.

Here's a picture below of one of my old complete fuel pump assemblies a little disassembly will be needed to take it apart to clean the filter strainer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	'                                                '' 'thumbnail_20210225_181428.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	371021  

06-19-22
    Thanks Tims

I am going to keep this one under my arm for a period where I'll be less busy with other topics on the bike !!

I always wondered why they do some difficult fuel pumps filter... The entire pump is like 400€ new.. Doesn't make any sense. Should be easy to service like any OEM that has a filter

Real Name
    Tim
    02-29-24
    Motorcycle
    '11 FE570
    Motorcycle
    '15 FE 501
    Motorcycle
    '77 Mc400
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Just replace the pump if needed.
    "Quantum" makes a good pump and many people have used them.
    I'll be doing it myself on the used pump assembly that I pictured in the attached photo from my previous post.

Quantum T35 Intank Fuel Pump for BMW G450X 2007-2010, Replaces 16147711391

Additional Images

Pricing: $69.98

SKU: HFP-397-U
    Qty:
    USPS Priority Mail / First Class Small Items
    Add to Cart
    Item Inquiry

Description:

SKU: HFP-397-U
    The HFP-397 is a direct replacement fuel pump for late model EFI motorcycle and ATV/ UTV applications which use the new 30mm compact fuel pump motor originally manufactured by Keihin.

HFP replacement fuel pumps, modules, assemblies, and kit components are designed to meet or exceed OEM specifications, and feature upgrades that improve on the OEM design. Upgraded polymers, brushes, and commutators ensure long life and durability in multiple fuel blends. Each HFP fuel pump and installation kit is backed by a lifetime free replacement warranty. If there is any issue of any kind at any time, give us a call or email us and we will replace the pump free of charge.

Name:	Screenshot (66).png 
Views:	138 
Size:	845.4 KB 
ID:	371095  

06-19-22
    Thanks Tims

Always a pleasure reading your replies!!!

Real Name
    Matt
    01-12-24
    Seems like some of the Japanese bikes run the same basic pump setup. That 5 flange Keihin seems like it might be generic. I am planning to do the Speedbrain clear tank install in coming weeks. Will take gasket down to Suzuki dealer and see if it's a true match. Not that their prices are any better than the BMW for whole assembly, but probably easier to get ahold of.
    2009 G450X - Akrapovic, Dirt & SM Wheels; 2007 G650X Country - Remus, Lowered 3" - Wifes ride; 2003 R1100S BoxerCup Replika - Laser, Ohlins, Carbon goodies; (FOR SALE) 1999 R1100S - Remus, Ohlins; 1989 K100RS - Remus, Fox 

25. Likes Tims1572 liked this post

06-19-22
    Guys

Finally found some time to get the fuel pump out (in my investigation process to understand why my bike is stalling when I open the throttle hard)

Quite an extensive process to get the pump out. Completly crazy design by BMW that make no sense at all (need to get the Ohlins out...)

Anyway, I was expecting to see the fuel pump and the filter is a very bad shape, I am actually quite surprised. What do you think of below pictures?

Also :

1) How do you take it out to get to the filter? The 3 screws are very very very tight

2) How do you see that the filter is dirty? From outside it does not look like it...

3) How can I diagnostic a potential issue with the pump itself? Is it work changing it not even knowing if it is faulty?

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210714_2358515.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	373651

Name:	IMG_20210714_2358550.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	373653

Name:	IMG_20210714_2359106.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	373655

Real Name
    Tim
    02-29-24
    Motorcycle
    '11 FE570
    Motorcycle
    '15 FE 501
    Motorcycle
    '77 Mc400
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    It appears that its been out before in the past. That is not the factory O-Ring seal. But it probably works even better than the factory O-ring for what its supposed to do.
    You should have hooked up a gauge to a temporary fuel line using a tee and some hose clamps to test the pump pressure if you are doubting its in proper working order. These bikes need a constant 47-50 lbs. pressure.
    The new Quantum pumps come with a couple different strainer filters. Just toss the old one and replace the whole assembly while its apart.
    Your time has got to be worth more than that just to eliminate any possibility of having to do it again.

Real Name
    Juha
    11-21-22
    Motorcycle
    '95 RF900R
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Motorcycle
    '97 R1100GS
    Motorcycle
    '00 TT-R90E
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200GS ADV
    I think I have a spare one if you still need one?

06-19-22
    Quote Originally Posted by Tims1572 View Post
    It appears that its been out before in the past. That is not the factory O-Ring seal. But it probably works even better than the factory O-ring for what its supposed to do.
    You should have hooked up a gauge to a temporary fuel line using a tee and some hose clamps to test the pump pressure if you are doubting its in proper working order. These bikes need a constant 47-50 lbs. pressure.
    The new Quantum pumps come with a couple different strainer filters. Just toss the old one and replace the whole assembly while its apart.
    Your time has got to be worth more than that just to eliminate any possibility of having to do it again.
    Hey Tims. Are you suggesting using a Rotameter for that?

06-19-22
    Quote Originally Posted by Allroad View Post
    I think I have a spare one if you still need one?
    I'll PM you

Real Name
    Tim
    02-29-24
    Motorcycle
    '11 FE570
    Motorcycle
    '15 FE 501
    Motorcycle
    '77 Mc400
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Quote Originally Posted by badaboum View Post
    Hey Tims. Are you suggesting using a Rotameter for that?
    A standard pressure gauge kit something like what I pictured below. Something like this set up can also be made up from a few simple fittings as long as you have a gauge and a tee fitting, with a couple temporary lengths of hose connected from the fuel tanks pump outlet and the other piece connected directly to the injector to measure lbs. pressure.

Name:	'                                                     ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' .jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	373687  

06-19-22
    Thanks Tims
    I am going to see if a friend of mine working at BMW Motorrad in Paris can share the one from his shop for a couple of weeks so that I save the cost of this for a one time use

PS : Have you done an injector cleaning process?

Real Name
    Tim
    02-29-24
    Motorcycle
    '11 FE570
    Motorcycle
    '15 FE 501
    Motorcycle
    '77 Mc400
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    I have a cleaned them at work, (US Border Patrol Fleet Garage) We have a machine that will back flow them fairly quickly. However I prefer to use a small ultrasonic cleaner I have that's made for cleaning fine jewelry. Then I check the flow pattern at work on the machine.

Real Name
    Juha
    11-21-22
    Motorcycle
    '95 RF900R
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Motorcycle
    '97 R1100GS
    Motorcycle
    '00 TT-R90E
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200GS ADV
    OEM second hand.

Name:	WP_20160216_19_02_18_Pro.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	373741