Open letter of complaint to BMW about new bike being subject to high pressure jetwash - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Simon
    10-28-15
    Motorcycle
    '12 F800GS
    I have sent the below english and spanish to any customer service email I could find (motorrad@bmw-motorrad.es; rclientes@bmw.es; customerservice@bmwmotorcycles.com; info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com; customer.service@bmw.co.uk)

The spanish BMW motorbike website contact link is broken, so I dont know their mail or address (and there was nothing in the supplied documentation except the dealer I am complaining about).

Any suggestions appreciated. I plan to send a printed copy to this address:
    BMW Ibérica, S.A.
    Avda. de Burgos, 118
    28050 Madrid

Dear BMW / Estimado BMW (en español abajo)

I have just purchased a new F800GS from the BMW dealer in Algicerias, Cadiz, Spain. They are good, except one problem. Before giving me the bike, they washed the motorbike with an extreme high pressure jet wash. The result was a lot of water inside the closed and locked dealer fitted vario topcase, there was water everywhere under the seat which I had to mop out afterwards, there was water under the petrol filler cap. It is likely that this high pressure water has damaged the seals and other areas which should never be subject to high pressure water jets. I have been biking for 30 years, and would NEVER put a motorbike through a high pressure water hose. I complained to the dealer before taking the bike, but he said that this was normal and OK.

I have just now found page 118 of the English BMW manual available here: http://www.dualsportafrica.com/Rider...00_GS_2008.pdf that BMW expressly forbid high pressure water and state that it can damage the bike:

“Do not use a steam jet or high-pressure cleaning equipment.. “The high pressure can damage seals, the hydraulic brake system, the electrical system, and the seat.”

And on page 124 of the supplied Spanish “manual de instrucciones”:

“La elevada preción del agua de los limpiadores de alta preción … puede provocar daños en las juntas, en el sistema de frenos hidráulico, en el systema electric y en asiento. No utilizar nunca limpiadores de chorro de vapour de ni de alta presión”.

If there are any problems in the future with bearings or other sensitive areas such as battery, brakes and electrics, then I reserve the right to have it fixed at BMW cost, or I would like the bike swapped now for one which has not been subject to this treatment.

Please can you let me know what can be done about this.

----------------------------------

Estimado BMW

Acabo de comprar una F800GS nueva de un gran distribuidor de BMW en Algicerias, Cádiz, España . Son buenos, excepto un problema. Antes de darme la moto, se lavaban la moto con extrema lavado con chorro de alta presión. Hubo una gran cantidad de agua en el interior del distribuidor instalado y cerrado vario topcase, hubo agua por todas partes bajo el asiento que tuve que secar después, hubo agua debajo de la tapa de llenado de gasolina. Es probable que esta agua de alta presión ha dañado los sellos y otras áreas que no deben ser subjeto a chorros de agua a presión. He estado viajando en motos durante 30 años, y nunca pondría una moto a través de una manguera de agua a alta presión. Me quejé con el concesionario antes de tomar la bicicleta, pero dijo que esto era normal y bien usar de lavado de alta presión.

Que acabo de encontrar en la página 124 de la suministrada "MANUAL DE INSTRUCCIONES":

“La elevada preción del agua de los limpiadores de alta preción … puede provocar daños en las juntas, en el sistema de frenos hidráulico, en el systema electric y en asiento. No utilizar nunca limpiadores de chorro de vapour de ni de alta presión”.

Si hay algún problema en el futuro con rodamientos u otras áreas sensibles, como baterías, frenos y el systema eléctrico, entonces me reservo el derecho a que lo arreglen a un costo de BMW, o me gustaría que la moto cambió ahora para una nueva que no ha sido subjetado a este tratamiento.

Por favor, ¿me dejas saber qué se puede hacer acerca de esto?

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

05-30-14
    At the local dealer here, they used a high pressure washer and the bike tipped over and slammed into a new Mini Cooper car.
    Dealer policy to use the high pressure device.
    Not only do they go against Motorrad policy, they don't give you a choice.
    So what did Motorrad do? They gave the owners of the dealership another franchise and they now have 3 full line BMW/Mini/Motorrad locations in 3 different states.
    Go figure.
    I only buy parts when necessary from the dealer and if I didn't have to, I wouldn't. My bike hasn't been in there for service for 23,000kms and I will never buy a bike from them or let them service a bike of mine, ever again.