SCAM Alert - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

05-26-21
    Recently posted a WTB ad for a center stand. Received a PM from forum member Cowboy77 [unclear on his part in this, if any] with a lead to contact Robert Holmes [robholm99@aol.com] as he had one he wanted to sell. Contacted Mr.Holmes [real name?, unlikely] who confirmed he had one to sell, he sent pics of actual part, looked decent and we struck a deal. Paid for it via Zelle and haven't heard from him since. My bad I know but I have bought/sold many used parts via motorcycle specific forums over the years [BMW, Guzzi] and always found the motorcycling community to be a VERY thoughtful and trusting community. Too bad dirtbags like this troll the web to take advantage.

In the words of the Captain on Hill Street Blues, "Let's be careful out there"

2. Thanks doghousebob, Daboo, Runmyownlife thanked for this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Andrew
    10-10-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Very unfortunate, sorry to hear about your experience.
    I was curious about the profile of cowboy77, but not much to read.

https://f800riders.org/forum/member.php/297469-cowboy77

I joke.... Who the heck uses AOL for email?
    Concrete remains undefeated. 

08-19-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Any chance of getting the money back? Certain pay apps have rules that can favor the buyer. It's worth contacting Zelle and at the very least reporting this guy so his account gets flagged. Anything you can do to make his life a bit more uncomfortable the better at this point. Sorry to hear about that.

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

05-26-21
    Contacted Zelle and they were absolutely useless. Don't think there is anything I can do on my end at this point but meeting with my bank this morning to at least see if a fraudulent claim can be filed.

notacop is offline The original Schwartz Wald Troll

10-07-22
    Motorcycle
    '08 F800 ST
    Motorcycle
    '04 DL-650A V-Strom
    Motorcycle
    '13 G650GS (Single)
    That's a shame. I do paypal all the time and have no problems. I've not been disappointed with the merchandise I got either. If something was described as used, it was but still functional .I'm not real familiar with being on the selling end and got the money by check from paypal.
    Never heard of Zelle.

Real Name
    Geoff
    09-27-22
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '94 R1100RS
    Quote Originally Posted by notacop View Post
    That's a shame. I do paypal all the time and have no problems. I've not been disappointed with the merchandise I got either. If something was described as used, it was but still functional .I'm not real familiar with being on the selling end and got the money by check from paypal.
    Never heard of Zelle.
    +1
    Sundog 

05-26-21
    I, too, have not had any issues with PayPal and have had numerous transactions with private parties [both buyer and seller] over the years. This was my first time with Zelle and so far not impressed. I did file a fraudulent claim through my bank [Chase] this morning so we'll see what happens. Not real hopeful of seeing my $$ back but if I can make life a little miserable for the seller it'll be worth it.

Stay tuned for updates.

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    Not sure how much cowboy77 has to do with this, other than passing on info of something that might be useful to someone else. I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Zelle has a way to contact them for support. https://www.zellepay.com/support/contact I'd try that, and soon.

Note the first screen capture has a way to "Cancel Payment". The second has a way to "Report a Scam".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zelle1.png 
Views:	332 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	369621

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zelle2.png 
Views:	305 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	369619
    That should work, since Zelle is set up to be just like PayPal.

Bottom line, caveat emptor.

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zelle1.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	369617  
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6 

12. Thanks CO Dharma thanked for this post

05-26-21
    Chris - Thanks for that information. Accordingly, I have now filed a claim with both Zelle and Chase Bank. Appreciate the heads up and have renewed faith in the motorcycle community.

10-12-22
    Motorcycle
    '16 F800 GT
    Motorcycle
    '16 R1200RT
    There have been a couple of times when a seller has not done what they promised.......from not sending the part to selling me something that was damaged or not accurately described.

PayPal has come through for me when I filed a complaint -- and always got me my money back.

So......if I am dealing with an unknown seller, I always use PayPal and pay their fees and specifically make a payment for merchandise.......don't use the "Send Money to Friends" option.

15. Thanks Daboo thanked for this post
    Likes DJ123 liked this post

08-19-22
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800R
    Good Luck. Hoping you are able to salvage this.

05-26-21
    UPDATE - Not much to report other than the following:

* My bank [Chase] responded to my fraud claim that their 'investigation' found no illegal activity. I assume this to mean that since I sent the money via Zelle [as opposed to it being fraudulently taken from my account] they will not go any further.

* With information provided by Daboo I filed a scam report with Zelle. Got a quick automated response from Zelle with a case number (!) and said I would hear back in 2 business days. That was over a week ago and nothing but crickets since.

* Additionally, I filed a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center [division of the FBI] last week though not expecting much there due to the relatively minor theft involved. Again, just trying to make life miserable for the seller.

* To add some additional info and hopefully save others a future headache the email used to pay via Zelle was htasha246@gmail.com; supposedly for Tasha Holmes

* I did reach out to forum member Cowboy77 from where the sales lead originally came via PM and got no reply. Come to your own conclusion there.

* What did I/we learn? STAY away from Zelle and stick with PayPal [not the Friends/Family version] when buying things from strangers as forum member Notacop suggested as at least they have some safeguards in place to protect the buyer. And that not all who visit these forums are friends of the motorcycling community; some are just scumbags.
    Last edited by CO Dharma; 11-23-20 at 07:07 AM.

Real Name
    Chris
    Motorcycle
    '14 F800 GT
    FWIW, cowboy77 hasn't been online for two weeks. Some people don't sign in when they visit the forum, and just browse through reading what they wish. So not hearing from him could be very easily explained without being anything negative.

Chris
    Elnathan - 2014 BMW F800GT
    IBA# 49894 True Rounder = 0-20's - Rounder -- to -- 100's+ Red Hot Rounder

John 14:6