F800GS crash bars - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

07-25-13
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    I've searched the forum and the last discussion on crash bars I found was from 2011. I'm picking up a 2013 F800 in March and would like to get any feedback I can on the variety of crash bars current F800 riders have. Pros/cons would be great. I'm leaning in in one direction but I don't want to influence any feedback by sharing. Thanks in advance for any opinions shared!
    Last edited by Dviking99; 02-03-13 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Sorry, I'm a newbie and after a bit looking, I found great feedback within some current streams.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Terry Buchen
    04-22-14
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    I just picked-up my 2013 F800 GS with a BMW stainless steel skid plate and lower crash bar. I have a Touratech stainless steel upper crash bar on back order and it should be installed in a couple of weeks. I looked at the Hepco-Becker black-colored crash bars and they also looked good, but I decided on the SS look instead.

07-25-13
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    What color bike did you get? I'm gravitating towards Altrider crash bars and skid plate in black to go with the
    Kalamata color. I've read good feedback in the forum on the crash bars but nothing on the altrider skid plate.

5. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    John
    07-09-13
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Motorcycle
    '11 G650GS (Single)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0165.jpg 
Views:	1486 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	41490
    Black Dog skidplate, Happy-Trail bars. Tough, made in Idaho, fits 2013 model.

7. Likes TelemarkTumalo liked this post

08-24-14
    I looked at Wunderlich, Touratech, SW Motec, BMW, but ended up withe AdventureSpec. My bike is black and white, so i wanted black skidplate and crashbars, and AdventureSpec had both, in a really nice design, looks really strong and has great finish. The skidplate does not protect the cat, but that is the only flaw i have found for now, and i dont think it's going to be a problem for me.. The price was reasonable, a little cheaper than Touratech. Easy to mount, great instructions. Pretty fast shipping, and nice packaging, no scratches or marks on the parts.

Also bought the RearRack, works fine...

Take a look at http://www.adventure-spec.com , I am 100% satisfied

Real Name
    PATRICK
    11-11-15
    I've got a 2009 F650 and put on the SW MOTECH crash bars and love them because they are very inconspicuous.
    The happy trails bars seem so large on John's bike.

Real Name
    Paul S
    10-28-15
    Viking,
    In case your still looking: I installed the Altrider Crash bars and skidplate last week. The black matches the black frame on my Kalamata very well. Still waiting for the Rad. guard as it's not yet in full production for the '13. FWIW - I've noticed while in an agressive seated riding position, my shins occasionally bump up against the crash bar connection point at the upper mount elbow. Not really an issue so far, but haven't done much off road yet.
    ______
    Buy the ticket, take the ride - H.S. Thompson 

Real Name
    Terry Buchen
    04-22-14
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Sorry for the delay in getting these 4 photos to you. Touratech backordered my upper crash bars for 6 weeks and they were finally installed last week. Since I have the Kalamata color also, I hope they are helpful in your decision making process.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08008.jpg 
Views:	1959 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	44433   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08009.jpg 
Views:	1239 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	44441   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08010.jpg 
Views:	1165 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	44449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC08011.jpg 
Views:	1209 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	44457  

12. Likes Shooby, TelemarkTumalo liked this post
    Real Name
    Paul S
    10-28-15
    Nice coverage, I like the upper mount. Could of used that last week when my bike decided to nap on a downhill service road. The Altrider guards served the purpose but are bent. I need to do some gentle "coaxing" with a breaker bar in order to get them re-centered. Did I mention they were new 2 weeks ago? DOH!
    ______

14. Likes TelemarkTumalo liked this post
    07-25-13
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    So I just picked up my 800 (Kalamata) last week and the list of accessories I want/need keeps growing on a daily basis. Regarding the crash bars; after looking at the pics everyone shared, reading about legs banging into some bars (on more than one thread), and wanting to keep the stylish look of the bike i'm most likely going to look at smaller less conspicuous bars like SW MOTECH. I need to see if they will work with the Altrider skid plate.

No wrong answer, just personal preference!

I don't know about the rest of you but my backside prefers a different seat! My first purchase will be some form of comfort seat. I've been studying the forums and have seen lots of good input but always open to more.

This bike is absolutely amazing! Not too many where I am at and it really gets the looks.

Real Name
    Kevin Dunn
    08-26-13
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Bechmanns View Post
    I looked at Wunderlich, Touratech, SW Motec, BMW, but ended up withe AdventureSpec. My bike is black and white, so i wanted black skidplate and crashbars, and AdventureSpec had both, in a really nice design, looks really strong and has great finish. The skidplate does not protect the cat, but that is the only flaw i have found for now, and i dont think it's going to be a problem for me.. The price was reasonable, a little cheaper than Touratech. Easy to mount, great instructions. Pretty fast shipping, and nice packaging, no scratches or marks on the parts.

Also bought the RearRack, works fine...

Take a look at http://www.adventure-spec.com , I am 100% satisfied

I put all the adventure spec crash bars, sump guard and rear rack , I am also 100% satisfied

17. Likes TelemarkTumalo liked this post
    07-08-15
    Motorcycle
    '10 Electra Glide Ultra
    Motorcycle
    '08 KLR650
    Motorcycle
    '10 F800GS
    I started with the SWMotech, I didn't think it give enough upper protection, especially around the every so costly radiator and side panels. I wound up with the Metal Mule, I feel much better about the protection the could provide. I have not had to test the full ability of the the bars, but they are quite sturdy. IMHO.

Real Name
    charles
    07-17-13
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    I can't say enough about the Black Dog bash plate. Watch some YT videos on riders impressions.

04-27-22
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800R
    Motorcycle
    '11 F800GS
    For starters, which F800 are you riding?
    I have an F800R and found some nice - small - light - Givi crash bars I am using.

07-05-15
    Hi Everybody!

I just bought an F700 GS and I am shopping for crash bars. My big questions are: What bars were you using when you fell over? Was any part of your bike damaged? Can you post pictures?

I am trying to decide between the SW-Motech bars and the Wild@Heart bars. I've only heard good things about SW-Motech, but Wild@Heart seems to protect more, like the radiator and the upper plastics. Has anyone used the Motech bars and had damage to their radiator or upper plastics?

Thank you!

~Jessie

07-25-13
    Motorcycle
    '13 F800GS
    Paul, now that you have had your crash bars for awhile, do you have an issue with your shins hitting them?

Real Name
    Paul S
    10-28-15
    Hey Dv,
    I've done a fair share of gravel/dirt road riding on weekends, bouncing around on some rutty stuff but no serious knee/shin impacts as I was expecting so all's well so far.
    Now I just need to take that OBDR/UBDR/COBDR trek to be sure..
    ______

Real Name
    Jason Edwards
    10-23-13
    I recently had the SW-Motech crash bars on a 13 F700GS that I crashed and it held up very well and protected the bike. Only had a minor scratch where a rock got through. I now have a 13 F80GS and I'm not sure the SW-Motech bars will do as well IF I crash it too. Hope not but... I am stuck trying to decide between the Motech or AdventureSpec bars. The AdventureSpec bars look like they provide great protection but also look like they would bend if I repeated my crash. The SW-Motech bars bolt to the front of the engine and give extra support to the side bars when the bike goes down. Any thoughts from the experts???

Real Name
    John
    11-13-13
    Dviking99-
    I just ordered a 2014 F800GS kalamata and have been going through many of the same choices of farkles as you. A couple of questions: How did the SW Motech bars and AltRider plate fitment work out? Do you have any pictures? Thanks!
    Wakedaze/John
    (tried this as a PM, but not sure it was sent)

Real Name
    Dave
    04-18-16
    Installed the new design '13 Givi bars today - good radiator and upper bodywork protection.

Last edited by moto74; 10-15-13 at 01:37 AM. Reason: swapped a pic

27. Likes TelemarkTumalo liked this post

Real Name
    Larry
    08-18-14
    Moto74 , is that bar running across your radiator part of the engine guard ?

Real Name
    Dave
    04-18-16
    Yes, it has upper and lower lateral bracing - I was a bit worried about that too initially... but it's not as close as it looks in the pic, and it's built in such a way that you'd have to get something coming from the front in between the forks to push it back towards the rad grille. I'm hoping not to do that

Real Name
    Kirk Marshall
    01-15-14
    anyone have the "wild at heart" bars on F800depot? Looks like enough coverage for upper and lower along with a skidplate. All i'm worried about is dropping it low speed offroad.

31. Thanks readhart thanked for this post

02-08-18

Thats my with Touratech Bars. Love them. I think is a great design, because it will not get caught on dirk or branches if you are falling, since there is no open hook area around, as most other bars.
    Cheers

Real Name
    Michel Smith
    07-16-14
    I have bought this one and I'm completely satisfied: http://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.co...ashbars-1.html
    BMW Motorcycle Accessory 2do list:
    louder exhaust - - - done
    windscreen - - - in progress 

Real Name
    David
    08-24-15
    @David6801: Do they make Touratech in black colour or you painted yourself? My concern is that the first thing that would go would be auxiliary light when on the ground, wouldn't it?

Real Name
    David
    08-24-15
    Quote Originally Posted by Millard99 View Post
    Sorry for the delay in getting these 4 photos to you. Touratech backordered my upper crash bars for 6 weeks and they were finally installed last week. Since I have the Kalamata color also, I hope they are helpful in your decision making process.
    Do you think the top body part could slide to a side where the screws are connected to bottom engine guard bars if the machine hits the ground with force? or is there any mechanism preventing it?

02-08-18
    I have dropped my bike a couple of times and fog lights are fine. They are not close to touch the ground since the bars are wider by the "tank".... I though about painting, but since I don't have the skills. .I paid $130 to have bottom,top &mounts powder coated. Very happy with results..easy to touch up when I dropped it.

Real Name
    Rob Antony
    03-16-18
    Motorcycle
    '06 F800 ST
    I put the Wunderlich bars on my f800 ST. They look nice, give good protection (yes I dropped my bike at a stop sign...no damage!!) They were pretty easy to put on and fit the lines of the bike. They were around 150 Euros. With the change to GT you would need to contact them to see if they still carry items for the STs.

Rob

03-16-15
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkf800gs View Post
    anyone have the "wild at heart" bars on F800depot? Looks like enough coverage for upper and lower along with a skidplate. All i'm worried about is dropping it low speed offroad.
    I just purchased the Wild at Heart bars for my 2014 F800GS. They arrived with some scratches and even a bit of rust. I tried to put them on the bike and found out that the right lower engine tab is not welded vertically and is about 8 mm farther from the engine than expected per the bolt length. Additionally, the right bar touches the right plastic (without the lower right mount even bolted). I can't just use an additional spacer and tighten the right mount, because the bolt will force the non-vertical tab to go vertical and exert a boatload of rotational force on the bars AND on the engine block. That doesn't seem like a good idea. Further, using a spacer to take up the additional space on the lower mount isn't necessarily going to pull the right bar off the plastic it sits against. See the pictures. I emailed F800Depot with the attached pics to request a new right bar and am awaiting a response. Will post back when I have a response from them.

I absolutely love the design, look, and coverage provided by these bars.....I just hope that F800Depot works with me to provide a new bar so that I have proper spacing from the plastic and a mount that is welded correctly (i.e. vertically).

Cheers, James

Name:	20150315_085000.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	130234Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150315_085025.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	130242

Real Name
    Rick
    05-15-16
    Quote Originally Posted by Dviking99 View Post
    What color bike did you get? I'm gravitating towards Altrider crash bars and skid plate in black to go with the
    Kalamata color. I've read good feedback in the forum on the crash bars but nothing on the altrider skid plate.
    I have an Altrider skid plate on my F800GSA, perfectly happy with it. fits snugly, covers the filters and will be easy to remove for changing filters etc...

I was under the bike today fitting a socket to it, assembling a tool kit; Impressed by the number of dings and scratches on it after a month. Love it!

Real Name
    David
    08-24-15
    Quote Originally Posted by tsingi View Post
    I have an Altrider skid plate on my F800GSA, perfectly happy with it. fits snugly, covers the filters and will be easy to remove for changing filters etc...

I was under the bike today fitting a socket to it, assembling a tool kit; Impressed by the number of dings and scratches on it after a month. Love it!
    I got the Adventure-Spec bars and skid plate. We did some hardcore trips to the Balkans and Ukraine. The plate has become slightly loose from rock hits but it protected engine really well + no signs or rust. The bars even though they are very good quality (I'm 170cm/5.6" and am ok, taller riders above 185cm are more likely to touch them with knees) shift sides a bit too much IMHO. I hit the ground a couple of times at higher speeds and managed to break plastics. Not sure how other products would behave at such impacts / speeds TBH so hard to say. More less what we got up in few pictures (beginning/first scratches->trip finish):

Name:	IMG_4250.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	152761

Name:	adventurespecs-saved-bmw-f800gsa.jpg 
Views:	442 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	152721

Name:	P1040278.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	152745

Name:	P1040540.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	152753

Name:	P1040399.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	152737

Name:	IMG_0599.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	152729

David
    Adventura

Real Name
    Gazrok
    08-31-15
    Hi Guys and Gals,
    just bought a set of BMW Factory crash bars for 2015 F800 GS. Stainless , a few problems fitting them. Fitted the right hand side first, finger tight, then the left. Things did not quite line up. e.g.. the brace to the engine ,right hand side, touched the starter motor housing before it pulled tight against the front of the engine. I marked the infringing area with texta pen and ground a little bit out for clearance.Also made a 3/16" alloy washer to pack it out. When the final tightening came , the two stainless Torx screws to join the left and right tubes together did not allign properly and one of the pressed in nuts came adrift. What a shit of an idea!! The flat section looks like my missus designed it. If they only flogged the holes a little , perhaps the cheese quality stainless screws may have lined up ?? Doubt it though , I have to take the bastards off again and conjure up some Hed magic to pretty up the pig!! Maybe sleeve a bit of stainless tube across the centre and a couple of decent quality grub screws to tie it together. Also matched my key up to the new Vario's, also had a few stubbies while doing the above. Anyone else had problems with fitting these genuine bars?? If so let me know how you fixed it.
    Sorry about the big whinge but I will grin and bear it.
    Regards,
    Hedley

Real Name
    Gazrok
    08-31-15
    Sorry guys me again, going to make up my own bash plate. When done ,will post photos.
    Hedley

Real Name
    Gazrok
    08-31-15
    Quote Originally Posted by HEDLEY LE MARR View Post
    Sorry guys me again, going to make up my own bash plate. When done ,will post photos.
    Hedley
    Gals /Guys,
    may have been a little harsh on BMW's quality control. I did think the crash bars would come completely together but , they didn't. Just a small gap which would have taken the mis -allignment problem away but would still look shitty!! After I removed the crash bars , I drilled out the captive nuts and replaced them with a solid "D" shaped alloy extrusion with two M6 tapped holes in the correct positions. used Allen bolts to tighten the bars up. A 30 minute job turned into a two day odyssey!!
    When all else fails read and re-read the destructions.
    Regards,
    Hedley Le Marr

Real Name
    Rick
    05-15-16
    Quote Originally Posted by Dviking99 View Post
    Sorry. Got a white one. No, it's not an official color. The bike with the options I wanted appeared on the show floor in white, so I bought it!

Wonder how that happened? Think they had my number?

12-19-16
    Motorcycle
    '15 F800GS

Name:	IMG_0059.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	224753Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0066.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	224761

Here is a set of Heeds crash bars from poland. I like them
    This is what I've done to my bike.......so far https://youtu.be/SwvkjqfJw_M

46. Likes TelemarkTumalo liked this post