How To Restrict the G450X? - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Real Name
    Mike
    06-02-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Yeah, I know, most people want to unrestrict bikes but my son's only on his second year of riding bikes, and he's used to the old slug F650GS single so now that he's getting ready to ride the G450X, he's thinking he'd like to set the hp down to the lower (learner) level which is 26hp, I think.

It's got the Akrapovic exhaust, and he has the high performance chip but it's not installed, so the bike's making a bit more than 40 hp.

We've got the 1st edition of the repair manual for the bike but I can't find anything in there about how to further reduce the power.

We're probably more likely to find a site which describes how to remove the restrictions, but in my searches, I've not come across one yet. Even that would be helpful.

Anybody know what this entails? If we can't find out, we'll just ask the dealer to do it when we bring the bike in for a checkup.
    "The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.  

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Andrew
    08-18-14
    Motorcycle
    '07 F800S
    usually restriction is a simple relocation of the throttle cable on the engine side only allowing for a certain % throttle. That's the way it mostly works on the F800 though i've never heard of it even being an option on the G450

4. Thanks EmmBeeDee thanked for this post

06-15-10
    the bike from stock it's already restricted, somewhere I've read there is a integrated chip on the bike that you can migrate from "normal" to "race mode", including this adding the racing exhaust. Anyway standing on this ECU can actually manage that regulation.

6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Mike
    06-02-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by mirringues View Post
    the bike from stock it's already restricted, somewhere I've read there is a integrated chip on the bike that you can migrate from "normal" to "race mode", including this adding the racing exhaust. Anyway standing on this ECU can actually manage that regulation.
    We do have the "Power Chip", but what we heard was that it was possible to restrict the output even more than the standard "low power" non-chipped setup. But I doubt my son wants that now anyway, he's talking about putting in the Power Chip instead. He must be getting used to the bike.

Here's him on the bike, in a wet moment...

Get the Flash Player to see this player.
    "The motorcycle, being poorly designed for both flight and marine operation, sustained significant external and internal damage," police noted.  

12-05-11
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Mike. Thanks for sharing the vid! Here in Florida, I try and go “around” that type of stuff, cuz you never know how deep it really is…or if there’s an alligator in there cooling off.

Did your son get you to plug in the coding chip? If you think it’s too much for him, it’s easily pulled back out. That’s the beauty of that set up.

Real Name
    Mike
    06-02-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    Mike. Thanks for sharing the vid! Here in Florida, I try and go “around” that type of stuff, cuz you never know how deep it really is…or if there’s an alligator in there cooling off.

Did your son get you to plug in the coding chip? If you think it’s too much for him, it’s easily pulled back out. That’s the beauty of that set up.
    Alligators? Yikes - I think I'll stay up North where the worst you're likely to encounter would be a skunk or a porcupine, most of the time. Even deer and moose are preferable. They don't lurk under the surface, anyway!

Son's doing all his own work on the bike so I think the chip's in now, and he's loving it. It seems to have cured a stalling problem, and the constant backfire on deceleration it had before he put it in.

06-07-12
    i don't know if you still want to D-tune your bike or not, if you do, a G2 Throttle, has multiple cams available they are designed to change the opening throttle positions of the roatation. I installed a 400 cam for my wife and it really calmed the bike down. As far as the throttle stop, i don't like them because it takes away from the range of the bike. On another note, my wife enjoyed your video. It looks to me as if your son has natural abilities on the bike. I don't see him wanting a D-tuned for long. Also, really enjoyed seeing your wife suited up and with a brace on in the video clip. we both wear braces. and the fact the we are both in our 50's, its nice to see other families out riding motorcycles. i would love send you a clip of my wife riding, but unfortunately don't have any current and she is under the weather right now not riding.. good luck!

Real Name
    Mike
    06-02-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by mx481 View Post
    i don't know if you still want to D-tune your bike or not, if you do, a G2 Throttle, has multiple cams available they are designed to change the opening throttle positions of the roatation. I installed a 400 cam for my wife and it really calmed the bike down. As far as the throttle stop, i don't like them because it takes away from the range of the bike. On another note, my wife enjoyed your video. It looks to me as if your son has natural abilities on the bike. I don't see him wanting a D-tuned for long. Also, really enjoyed seeing your wife suited up and with a brace on in the video clip. we both wear braces. and the fact the we are both in our 50's, its nice to see other families out riding motorcycles. i would love send you a clip of my wife riding, but unfortunately don't have any current and she is under the weather right now not riding.. good luck!
    He's gotten over the idea of detuning it - finds it runs better in power mode.

And while Stephanie was wearing a Leatt brace that time, she hasn't been able to use it for extended periods as it caused her back and neck pain. We're also in our 50's Stephanie and I.

Have you heard the expression "You don't stop riding because you're getting old - you get old because you stopped riding".

I think it's true.

12-04-15
    was anyone else willing him to fall off into the puddle........

06-07-12
    Hi EmmBeeDee, you said the your wife Stephanie is having discomfort with her brace, we also had a fit problem. We were able to get my wifes Brace very comfortable for her, I on the otherhand went with an AlpineStar. No matter how far i adjusted the Leatt i am too big for it. I don't think your wife has that problem....have you tried all the different adjustments? there is also a Fit guide on the website that we found useful.
    By the way, what bikes do you and your wife ride? of course i am on the G450x, and a CRF450 Honda, and a Triumph.... my wife is on a TE250 Husky, a CRF250 and a new Harley. We are a two wheeling couple....

Real Name
    Mike
    06-02-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    was anyone else willing him to fall off into the puddle........
    I do wish you would.

Real Name
    Mike
    06-02-13
    Motorcycle
    '09 F800GS
    Quote Originally Posted by mx481 View Post
    Hi EmmBeeDee, you said the your wife Stephanie is having discomfort with her brace, we also had a fit problem. We were able to get my wifes Brace very comfortable for her, I on the otherhand went with an AlpineStar. No matter how far i adjusted the Leatt i am too big for it. I don't think your wife has that problem....have you tried all the different adjustments? there is also a Fit guide on the website that we found useful.
    By the way, what bikes do you and your wife ride? of course i am on the G450x, and a CRF450 Honda, and a Triumph.... my wife is on a TE250 Husky, a CRF250 and a new Harley. We are a two wheeling couple....
    Yes, it fits her well but it's too heavy and makes it uncomfortable. I think she also has residual issues from a car accident which make the Leatt even less comfortable.

My Leatt fits me fairly well, but I still don't wear it as often as I should.

I have the F800GS and a DR650Se Suzuki which I bought a couple of months ago and Stephanie has the F650GS twin and a Kawasaki KLX250S.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SANY0396.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	20256