How to raise forks

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

How to raise forks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. alfio
    alfio
    Hello everybody.
    Let's talk about forks.
    Today I met an amazing guy, a motorbike handmade seats artisan, that suggested me to raise the forks 1cm to lower the bike a little bit.
    This makes sense, since my bike tends to "understeer", it means the front is slightly higher than the rear.
    Now, the job itself is easy, just unscrew the bolts, raise the forks, and screw the bolts again.
    Problem is: do I have to take all covers and light-head and half of chassis off???
    I don't want to take everything off, come on, raising the forks can take 10 minutes, and disassembling the bike 4 hours!
    Does anybody know if I can do it just putting the tools into the clean space on the side of the forks?
    0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
  2. Gunther
    Gunther
    It sounds strange to me that your ST is understeering because of the rear shock, have you setted its preload? In any case, try and look on the Hall of Wisdom, just for reference, maybe you could find useful infos even between topics about lights. A job like the one you described is an easy task for mine, without fairing. Anyway, all cables, wires and hoses shouldn't be tied/secured on the fork, so apparently you should have to partially unscrew bolts on top and lower clamps to slide the fork. Let us know if it works but consider first to check (or have checked) the rear shock, and bear in mind that, in cas of unsitisfying results, you could be forced to undo what you've done and go back to the previous set up.
  3. Randyjaco
    Randyjaco
    It is pretty easy to change the position of the shocks. Put the bike on the center stand and just loosen the pinch bolts on the steering head. I would be very careful making that adjustment. As there is no telling how that is going to affect your steering and handling. I will be interested on how it works. I would like to lower my ST @ an inch. I hope someone more knowledgable chimes in.
  4. Gunther
    Gunther
    A saddle 1" lower can be a lot, I know . Anyway, to lower 1", assuming a angle of 25░ approx between vertical and fork axis, you should slide the stanchion for about 1.1", but the wheelbase would get shorter too, about 0,4". Then you should lower the shock accordingly, to mantain a good handling, thus reducing the wheelbase a little more. I was wondering how could the bike handling be affected?
    In any case, you can go back to previous situation for sure. I bought a BMW extra low saddle, 2nd hand for half the price, I thought I could use it in the city or for short trips, and using the low one I had for longer trips, but the extra low is comfortable enough for me, after 500km my wrists and hands get numb before my butt gets aching
  5. Randyjaco
    Randyjaco
    I found that both the standard and the low BMW seats very uncomfortable after about 30 minutes. So I got the Terry Adcox seat, which is very comfortable. It only has about 1/2" of foam, so the end result is very low, but I still can't fully flat foot.
  6. Gunther
    Gunther
    You can flat foot without the extra low?! So, you're not short enough to belong to this group In this group we don't like tall people
  7. alfio
    alfio
    Done.
    I had to buy another torx key... simple one, nothing rare, but it is kind of forth or fifth torx T40 in my toolbox now
    Since this new one had very short leg, it has been possible to reach the screw and untightened it, no need to take the fairing off.
    Possible, but still not easy, since the leg was short, but also the arm was short. Thanks god the screws weren't tightened very tight.
    I lifted the tube another cm, total 2cms now from the plate.
    I will let you know if I could feel some changes in riding.
    0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
    Likes Randyjaco liked this post
  8. Randyjaco
    Randyjaco
    Alfio, that is a pretty critical component of the bike. You might want to consider torquing them to 20 Nm. I will be looking forward to your results.
  9. Flook
    Flook
    Seems like alfio has a short leg and arm - wow
  10. alfio
    alfio
    Seems like alfio has a short leg and arm - wow

the very true "L rule" dude

I had a brief test.
    The bike enters to the bends slightly better, it is better balanced, i didn't notice any weird behaviour, very smooth and safe.
    From the point of view of lowering, practically not-influential, almost same as before, that makes sense: 1cm lower on the front means 3 or 4 mm at center bike. No more.
    At the end, it was worth. Now I have very short space between the handle bar and the top of the tubes, I think no further experiments.

@Randyjaco, thank for the suggestion. I don't know if I close them tight enough, 20nm is pretty much, in any case the plates are made in aluminium and tighten too much could damage them, and at the end there are 3 screw each tube. When I unscrewed them, they weren't too tightened. Next Christmas I will give myself a torque wrench as a gift
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast