When things go worse and worse or how to turn an excellent bike into a nightmare.. - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 R1200GS
    Hi,
    I'm very happy and enthusiastic, since yesterday I had sometime to inspect carefully the oil leakage, I was referring to, before. Well, it seems that the oil is coming from the front left bolt of the valve cover (!) and goes down onto the front side of the motor to the head gaskets. This is why, I initially thought that either one of these were leaking, but hopefully this may not be the case. I can recall now that during the zipty installation, the head of this bolt was torn (stupid thin 8 mm hex) and could not be tighten properly....So, going ahead for a (thankfully) light surgery this weekend, in order to treat this illness...
    The process of fitting and the actual performance of the steering damper, makes me start thinking of installing one on my big German lady (R1200GS '08) too. Just wondering whether I should go for a ready model specific solution (GPR V4) or start again scratching my head for a custom made solution. This is why I love my G450X, due to its rareness and lack of ready-to-fit accessories, it makes me think out of the box and come up with tricky and mind triggering solutions (successful or not). GS though, stands on the exact opposite side, it is such a commercially successful model, that you could find parts even in your local super market....
    Last edited by alevbas; 2 Days Ago at 07:58 AM.

2. LikesTims1572, gravelsurfer liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 R1200GS
    Following my first unsuccessful diagnosis of the oil leakage, I even found a name for my rally bike. When this is completed (by the fitment of the safari tank), I will call it "Speed(yet no)brain" rally G450X...

5. LikesTims1572, gravelsurfer liked this post

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 R1200GS
    Hi there,
    this weekend I tried to treat the illness and tightened the valve cover bolts. I still believe that the head gaskets are leaking though...After some short riding, I parked the bike and noticed the the upper gasket is somehow wet, but soon I'll figure it out. This caused me a small disappointment, but Ok, I may end up with getting the bike to a proper mechanic (find me one that asks for decent money) to give it a head & piston work. All the bad issues though (gaskets' failure, engine explosion) have a common basis; my attempt to install the zipty breather. Now the bike is running perfect, no issues, yet the idea that my bike carries this kind of, so as to call, defect (i.e. oil leakage) makes me unhappy and displeases me. Furthermore I changed the bulky dual USB socket with a nice red aluminium dual USB socket that shows the voltage of the battery, even if the cover is still on. This time, I connected this straight onto the battery's poles (with a 3A resistance), rather than on the spare 12V plug of the F2R Rallye POWER BOX, in order to have the socket available all times and informs me on the volts, not just when I switch on the navi system switch (small stainless switch on the navi tower).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	viber_image_2020-09-21_15-16-15.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	233.2 KB 
ID:	368567 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xf168.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	368569

7. Likesgravelsurfer liked this post
  8. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Chris
    23 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '19 300 EXC
    Motorcycle
    '08 V-Rod
    Motorcycle
    '08 R1200GS ADV
    Motorcycle
    '08 G450X
    Hi Bil, regarding the steering damper I can definitely recommend the GPR V4. I have one on my G450 and my 1200GSA. They work extremely well and after 8+ years I have had no issues with either bike. The manufacturer offers servicing of the damping unit if required too. I’m not sure if you plan to run both front and rear Safari tanks but the front Safari tank interferes with the GPR damper, and I had to remove mine. I only ran the front tank for one event and couldn’t wait to get the GPR back on it. They’re a necessity for high speed rally in my opinion.
    Cheers
    Chris

10. LikesTims1572 liked this post

1 Minute Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 R1200GS
    Hi Chris,
    thanks for your advice regarding the GPR V4 and all other.
    Ohlins damper is already installed on the G450X, I was wondering about the GS. Probably following your suggestion, I will go for the GPR V4 on the R12. It's a ready to fit product and actually, when it comes to the big Beemer, I prefer to go on the safe side. Does it make a remarkable improvement on the front end's performance? Cause it is already quite steady.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2