BMW G450X Clutch - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

05-07-21
    Did you know that BMW have stopped production of some of their clutch components. The clutch is slipping in my sons bike and the local dealership have exhausted all avenues trying to find the parts to fix. Now I’m scratching round trying to find someone who has one or an after market one. Does anyone know where I might be able to get my hands one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Tim
    1 Hour Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 FE 501
    Motorcycle
    '77 Mc400
    Motorcycle
    '10 Road Glide
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    I'd be willing to bet the clutch is not slipping at all in your sons bike. These clutches are nearly bullet proof. 98% of the time when the owner believes the clutch is slipping it turns out that its the Torque Limiter/Idler. Look this issue up in the forum.

There's plenty of information on this. Its a wear item. There was also a factory technical service bulletin recall on the Torque Limiter as well. Many of the BMW Dealers fail to acknowledge this.

However there are a few BMW "honest dealers" that will do the repair by looking up the bikes Vin# free of charge regardless of the current owner. Most recently done and more often than not in the UK.

I bought my G450X directly from the owner of my closest dealership in Tucson, AZ. It was his own personal bike and they wouldn't honor the recall bulletin. And they tried to sell me clutch plates which they did at a cost of $100.00 more than the Torque Limiters cost. For me to only go back and mic the thicknesses of my used plates and new set of clutch plates right on there parts counter in front of them.

I then had to pay full price for my first Torque Limiter. That's the last part I ever bought at the dealership, I have 2 Engines for my G450X and have purchased 3 new Torque Limiters over the years since then and all of those were bought from Bike Bandit in the US. The Torque Limiters are getting harder to find now as well.

Since the G450X clutch is mounted directly to the crankshafts on these engines and spins at crankshaft speeds. The Torque Limiter provides the Primary reduction drive and is the direct coupler to the transmission shafts. It takes the shock load off of the transmission gears and is a common wear item.

Doing an engine breather relocation install (from either ZipTy Racing or "Dangermouse" DMD Designs) that repositions the engines breather outlet up to the cylinder heads valve cover area instead of from the factory breather fitting just behind the cylinder on the right hand inner case, will help make the Torque Limiter last much longer because the hot engines breather gasses are then released up higher and not in the direct path through the Torque Limiter as it is in the stock factory configuration. These hot breather gases can reach temps high enough to literally cook the Torque Limiters internal friction plates and once they become annealed it makes them wear themselves out and they then begin to start slipping prematurely.

There used to be an "A" version and a "B" version of the Torque Limiters (called the "Idler" in the parts listings) which was the upgraded result of this recall, so the "B" version had a higher static breakaway point in the range of 235 Newton Meters. The "A" versions were factory set at approx. 225 Newton Meters. The breakaway point rating in Newton Meters is factory laser etched on these Idlers/TL's and recently I have seen one that had the numbers etched on it XXX ed out. A new number added saying "reworked". I'm not sure the source of this reworked version but I can only hope that maybe someone is rebuilding these Torque Limiters for the supply chain to not stop all together. There are BMW G450X, Husky 449, race teams out there that have boxes of these things left over that can be rebuilt back to service specifications.

Nowadays the parts vendors selling them are not going to be selling both the "A" and "B" versions with different part numbers as they likely now have the same part number, plus the price at Bike Bandit part #11277728517, has climbed to $274.58 and has been back ordered for several months.

Remember the 2011-2013 Husky 449/511 models have these same basic engines and so do the CCM GP 450s that came with either the Husky 449 6 spd. version or the BMW G450 engine, all use the same Idler/Torque Limiter so these parts are drying up for these bikes.

Real Name
    Pascal
    7 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '08 G450X
    Hello Maxg,
    Send E-mail here and ask for the delivery time:
    https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/e...id=11277728517

5. Thanks Tims1572 thanked for this post
    Likes Tims1572 liked this post
  6. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Juha
    11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '95 RF900R
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Motorcycle
    '97 R1100GS
    Motorcycle
    '00 TT-R90E
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200GS ADV
    I have a couple new torque limiters in stock.

8. Thanks Tims1572 thanked for this post

Real Name
    Juha
    11 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '95 RF900R
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Motorcycle
    '97 R1100GS
    Motorcycle
    '00 TT-R90E
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Motorcycle
    '07 R1200GS ADV
    Pics of the torque limiters
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	torque limiters.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	242.8 KB 
ID:	373167  

10. Thanks Tims1572 thanked for this post