Urgent question. - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

4 Weeks Ago
    Hi all,
    New to the forum.
    I have the opportunity to get a 2010 G450x for good price, its a project. Full rebuild.
    Can someone advise me of the availability of parts, Cost of maintenance and any other helpful tips etc.
    Need to pull the trigger on this ASAP if I want it
    Thanks
    Shaun
    Last edited by Shaund90; 06-17-21 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Additional questions

2. Likes Tims1572 liked this post
  3. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

4 Weeks Ago
    Apologies for context I'm based in Ireland, so European Market primarily.

5. Likes Tims1572 liked this post

Real Name
    Thats It
    26 Minutes Ago
    Hey I'm new too.... but welcome.

I felt the same way but pulled the trigger and bought an 09 a few weeks ago.

Already I have put valuable info from this forum to great use, and even purchased a few items too.

So with this forum, and the guys who are sharing the info on these machines, I say go fort it....most of what you need is already here.

The main drawback would be availability of parts 'Quickly'... and perhaps a shop that will work with you to get work done....unless you are mechanically handy....I am not.

My shop will work on BMWs but not if they have antilock brakes....I assume every shop will have a different take on this.

How many clicks on it and how much are they asking?
    BrrrappGone 

7. Likes Tims1572, bello650 liked this post
  8. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

4 Weeks Ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Poetker View Post
    Hey I'm new too.... but welcome.

I felt the same way but pulled the trigger and bought an 09 a few weeks ago.

Already I have put valuable info from this forum to great use, and even purchased a few items too.

So with this forum, and the guys who are sharing the info on these machines, I say go fort it....most of what you need is already here.

The main drawback would be availability of parts 'Quickly'... and perhaps a shop that will work with you to get work done....unless you are mechanically handy....I am not.

My shop will work on BMWs but not if they have antilock brakes....I assume every shop will have a different take on this.

How many clicks on it and how much are they asking?
    Hi there,
    Thanks for the reply.i am mechanically OK, but i have a friend that's a genius on a motor, if be relying on him. I give him a box of parts and a motor, it will come back beautifully 😂

I'm terms of this bike, it's rough, potential hard life. No idea what mileage is on it, the clocks are busted, the guy I'm getting it off bought it as a project himself 2 years ago but it's sat in a shed since. I'm getting it for 1000 euro - 1190 USD or 1470 CAD.

Id I did get this I'd be using it for enduro and rally races 😅

10. Likes Tims1572 liked this post

Real Name
    Tim
    26 Minutes Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 FE 501
    Motorcycle
    '77 Mc400
    Motorcycle
    '10 Road Glide
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    As long as all the engine parts are there, Engine replacement items like pistons, gaskets are readily available. Items getting scarce are things like new crankshafts, new electric components such as ignition stators, new clutch plates.

Just keep in mind that there are bikes being broke down all the time with parts for sale on eBay. So chassis components are easy to find, forks, shocks, subframes, triple clamps, airboxes, etc. Internal engine components like clutch hubs, transmission gears, cylinder heads, useable cylinders, engine cases, side covers, etc. aren't hard to find either and are usually a pretty good deal.

Remember these bikes share the same basic engine design as the 449/511 Husky. The engine itself is nearly the same.

The primary difference is the TE/TXC 449/511 had a 6spd. gearbox. Except for the Husky TC motocross model that had a 5spd close ratio gearbox. The 6spd transmission components and the complete shifting mechanism is not interchangeable unless it's swapped out as a complete assembly.

The 449/511 also uses a Hydraulically actuated clutch. The clutch itself is approx. .140" difference in width compared to the BMW G450X clutch. So clutch the clutch plates are not interchangeable between models. Other than these 2 main differences (clutch assembly and 6 spd. gearbox parts) all the rest of the engines components are interchangeable with the 449 Husky.

There are a few small things in the engines that are different but not of a big significance. I will not go without saying what those things are and 1 of those things is: The later version Husky crankshafts had a DLC (diamond like coating) on the cranks rod journal to help increase big end bearing life. Later 449 cranks also have a thicker/wider woodruff key to index and hold the stator flywheel.

I believe they increased the thickness of these woodruff keys from 4mm to 6mm. So later cranks have to have the later matching flywheel that has the slot broached wider to match to work correctly.

The other difference is the Husky 449/511 used lash caps on the factory Del West Titanium valve stem tips of the intake valves to prevent wear from the hardened steel semi-sphere adjustment inserts. They (the lash caps) can be removed but purchase of a new set of semi-sphere's that have an increased thickness must then be used to get the valve lash clearance corrected if the lash caps are not used.

I would estimate well over 95% of the G450X owners are not aware of this, since they don't have to deal with the 449's lash caps. I have 1 of each of these engines and have gone through both of them so leaving out this little detail just isn't what this forum is all about in my opinion.

It sounds to me that a price of 1000 euros is a good deal no matter what the condition, if the entire bike is there. It can always be parted out for more than that if you aren't in any big hurry to do so.

12. Thanks bello650 thanked for this post

Real Name
    Thats It
    26 Minutes Ago
    Sounds like a pretty good deal to me as well my friend.

In another thread labeled 'The Ropes' a few down, Tim talks about a few things BMW did not get quite right...there's 3 quite important ones and one of those is is fairly critical....but thankfully its an easy fix that one with little mechanical expertise can do....in your case its even easier as this is already apart. But do all the three most recommended upgrades (at least) if you buy.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Cheers from Comox BC Canada eh.
    BrrrappGone 

14. Thanks Tims1572 thanked for this post
    Likes Tims1572 liked this post

4 Weeks Ago
    Have to say this is one of the friendliest communities I've been a part of in the off road sector, thank you all for the info. I told the guy, I will take it, just waiting on collection details. I'll probably throw up a thread with some before pics and I'll no doubt have a ton of questions.
    Thank you all again!

16. Thanks Tims1572, bello650 thanked for this post
    Likes Tims1572, bello650, Allroad liked this post