Neutral Switch - BMW G450X Riders Forum & Registry

Remove this advertisement by REGISTERING.

4 Hours Ago
    Team,
    Noob question. What does the Neutral switch do on this bike. I’ve found it listed on RepRom, found it on the bike, but given the G450x starts in gear or with the kickstand down, what purpose does this sensor serve?

Also, I’m one of the few “dummies” that would appreciate both a neutral light indicator or the bike not starting if it’s in first gear. Has anyone rigged up a light to the neutral indicator? Or set the started to be grounded if in first gear?

Thanks!
    -cFogs

2. Remove Advertisements
    F800Riders.org
    Advertisements

Real Name
    Tim
    21 Hours Ago
    Motorcycle
    '15 FE 501
    Motorcycle
    '77 Mc400
    Motorcycle
    '10 Road Glide
    Motorcycle
    '09 G450X
    Personally, I don't know why you wouldn't want the bike to be able to start in any gear?

I'm sure one of the unused holes,( I have all 3 unused on mine) to the right of the instrument cluster can be used to rig up a neutral light.

Hard to see them in this picture of my instrument cluster as my mount had to be modified and in doing so it was remounted up a bit higher and spaced a bit further forward as I run a bar pad that obscured the gauge anyway and I also converted my bike to run KTM trees and WP 4860 forks a long time ago on my G450.

If you are trail riding, being able to start the bike in gear comes in pretty handy when perched precariously on the side of a hill if the engine stalls.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	'                                               '''''''''''''''                         ''''''''.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	170.5 KB 
ID:	373689  

4 Hours Ago
    Completely agreed on being able to start the bike, I just prefer a reciprocal clutch switch to stop me (or more likely another person) from being a dummy and starting the bike while the kickstand it down.

It's good to know that the neutral switch is not just some vestigial part that BMW left on the bike. Pretty interesting that they compensate for the "clutch drag" at neutral.... truly an interesting machine.